9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "Monster" Storm hitting the U.S. North East late monday evening

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    The issues NYC/New Jersey etc are having are due to the population density, the fact that NYC is surrounded by water (the river exacerbates things), and the various tunnels & subways. It will be costly to fix, but things could have been MUCH worse....imagine if a Hurricane takes that track in August when the water is at it's warmest. Then we're talking anywhere from a cat 2 to a cat 4 and those would really hammer New York not to mention any tornadoes that could spin off a storm of that strength.
    This was pretty bad and yeah what made it so bad was the population density, I feel for these people. 7,000,000 without power. 33 + dead, make no mistake, in terms of storm damage, this was one the worst ever.
    Where as I feel for the families who have lost some one, 33 deaths is not really that bad when compared to other hurricanes of the past.

Deaths due to Hurricanes

I am from Florida and was at ground zero for Andrew.
    Hidden Content Boot Hill, Where the Real Fights Are Fought.

El Kabong Guest

33 is not many considering how many people are all clustered up in that area. The power outage could have happened at a worse time. I think it's easier to get & keep warm even without power than it is to stay cool without power. In the dead of summer if you had no power in one of those high rise buildings you'd be a goner especially if you're an elderly person. Hopefully with enough blankets and space heaters everyone should be ok from here on out.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

33 is not many considering how many people are all clustered up in that area. The power outage could have happened at a worse time. I think it's easier to get & keep warm even without power than it is to stay cool without power. In the dead of summer if you had no power in one of those high rise buildings you'd be a goner especially if you're an elderly person. Hopefully with enough blankets and space heaters everyone should be ok from here on out.
    Really? I would prefer the heat the cold kills.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    The issues NYC/New Jersey etc are having are due to the population density, the fact that NYC is surrounded by water (the river exacerbates things), and the various tunnels & subways. It will be costly to fix, but things could have been MUCH worse....imagine if a Hurricane takes that track in August when the water is at it's warmest. Then we're talking anywhere from a cat 2 to a cat 4 and those would really hammer New York not to mention any tornadoes that could spin off a storm of that strength.
    This was pretty bad and yeah what made it so bad was the population density, I feel for these people. 7,000,000 without power. 33 + dead, make no mistake, in terms of storm damage, this was one the worst ever.
    Where as I feel for the families who have lost some one, 33 deaths is not really that bad when compared to other hurricanes of the past.

Deaths due to Hurricanes

I am from Florida and was at ground zero for Andrew.
    @Ghost - I lived in Florida from 1962 to 1977 before moving to Texas, where I've lived ever since. So I missed out on Hurricane Andrew in 1992. I know it was a bitch of a Cat 5, and the estimated damage from the storm was something like $26.5 billion, killing 44 people in Florida alone. (the 3rd costliest tropical cyclone in U.S. history)
    I wouldn't be surprised if the damage from Sandy ends up exceeding the $26.5 Billion Andrew racked up. Sandy is a huge Storm that's done a ton of damage.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

saw in the news today Haiti and Cuba have also been devastated.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They must have done well with the warnings and evacuations. Some of it looks shocking.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Really? I would prefer the heat the cold kills.
    Heat would have meant a stronger storm, but you also have to realize that the places Sandy hit are densely populated areas where people live on top of each other. If it's 100 degrees outside or even 90 it would be oppressively hot in any kind of high rise building. If you're cold you can bring out blankets and have little gas space heaters and huddle up close with whomever you're with, but in the heat you just can't escape it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This storm/hurricane was so much worse than anyone had expected. It began around 8pm on Monday, 10/29. Unfortunately, I've been hiding out at my inlaws on the other side of New Jersey cause we won't be getting electricity until November 9th.

Personally, the morning after, my home and the surrounding houses were filled with branches. My neighborhood is filled with HUGE oak trees that TOWERED over all our houses so we were all expecting the worst. God must have been looking over my street. Being the corner lot in my neighborhood, I walked over the other way and it was CATASTROPHIC! The huge oak trees were EVERYWHERE smashing through peoples cars and homes. Powerlines were everywhere and also LIVE! It's an eerie site to drive around cause it looks like a ghost town during the day and darkness at night. Thank God none of my family were hurt or harmed. Unfortunately, most of New Jersey is still all messed up. No food in the supermarkets, no gas anywhere, and MILLIONS still without power. I live in North Jersey, 20 minutes from New York City and it's really scary. Central and South Jersey (Towards Philly) doesn't look so bad. South Jersey (Towards the shore points) is just DESTROYED. Sharks are swimming in the streets of Atlantic City.

Here are some photos of the aftermath:

Superstorm Sandy | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! News

Sandy from above | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! News

El Kabong Guest

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unhappy Re: "Monster" Storm hitting the U.S. North East late monday evening

...monster typhoon or storm coming right at us this weekend...

Haiyan 2013: Tracking Map | Weather Underground?

...so I'm home setting up sandbags and foxholes, ready for the big battle...
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by pacfan View Post

Stay safe and well.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pacfan View Post

Stay safe and well.
    Thanks mate.

This is by far the strongest typhoon/hurricane this year worldwide, packing a wind of 200mph, twice as strong as 'Sandy' here! this is gonna be real bad. Our country is a poor one so anything as bad as this gonna be really devastating here.
    Reportedly, the storm has already hit the coastal area, and if the forecast is right, it'll be passing near (luckily) our place, which is on the other side, in less than 24hrs; that's if the forecast is right...
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good luck stay safe mate.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Good luck stay safe mate.
    Thanks mate, I'll do.
    Okay, the winds are starting to stir up here so I gotta go, get some sleep and get prepared for the battle. Hope it'll miss my place...

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This one is painful just to look at. Unbelievable! Stay safe and take care of you and yours bud!!

Thread Information