Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Zarate and Zamora

The mid-1970's saw the tail end of what I think was the greatest stretch in the history of the bantamweight division. From 1965 until about 1972 or so merely being the best bantamweight in Mexico City would have been an enormously prestigious title. There were a series truly world class guys that came out of that city in those years; Olivares and Castillo and Martinez and Pimintel and Hererra and Anaya and Medel and Guererro and Cruz. Amazing. But by the mid 1970's that run was ending.

Mexico City wasn't quite done. The great Arturo "Cuyo" Hernandez had found two young stallions to train. Their names? Alfonso Zamora and Carlos Zarate. At one point Cuyo chose Zarate as his horse to ride in the division and sold Zamora's contract back to his father. This ignited a great deal of discord between the two fighters and indeed between the two camps.

Both of these men were absolutely insane punchers. In 2003 Ring Magazine named Zarate the 21st greatest puncher of all time ahead of men like Max Baer, Rocky Graziano, Julian Jackson and RFoberto Duran. On the same list Zamora ranks 47th, ahead of such men as David Tua, Julio Cesar Chavez and Henry Armstrong.

How powerful was Zamora? He wrecked ATG Eusabio Pedroza in only two rounds. How powerful was Zarate? Paul Fererri had never been stopped in over 50 fights. Zarate took him in 12.

It was inevitable these two would match up, but the circumstances were exceedingly strange. At 20 Zamora wins the lineal bantamweight crown held by WBA champ Soo-Hwan Hong, crushing him in four rounds. About a year later Zarate takes the WBC title (the other half) by stopping Rodolfo Martinez (a wrecking machine himself) in nine rounds.

This is the first time I can recall the alphabet gangs getting in the way. Neither the WBA nor the WBC would sanction a unification fight. That made no sense. But the camps wanted the match and so the two men agreed to a ten round fight over the 118 limit.

Going into the fight, the 22 year old Zamora was 28-0 all by KO. Nobody had gone the distance with him. That included six ranked bantams. The 25 year old Zarate was 46-0 with 45 KO's. That included five ranked men. Together, up until that time, their combined KO percentage of 98.6% was the highest anyone could recall in a match between top fighters.

The fight takes place at the Great Western Forum in Inglewood and in addition to the brutal action has fans in the ring, trainers brawling and riot police. Four rounds of bombthrowing and boxing glory.

Zarate is the taller man.

Last edited by marbleheadmaui; 07-06-2011 at 06:05 AM.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Zarate and Zamora

That fight was one of the highlights of my boxing life; I remember sitting around waiting for the 10pm local news (on KTTV in those days) to hear the result. I really liked both fighters but I wanted Zarate to win, and ended up being a little disappointed when he did.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow Zamora stopped the great Eusabio Pedroza in only two rounds, he must have been a beast. I will have to check him out, Barry McGuigan only just managed to beat the much older version and was really impreseed by Pedroza then
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotta admit that I don't know much about Zamora but I have a question. What happened to him after this fight?! 28-0 before this fight but he retires at 35-15? Did this fight effectively destroy him or did something else take place?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    That fight was one of the highlights of my boxing life; I remember sitting around waiting for the 10pm local news (on KTTV in those days) to hear the result. I really liked both fighters but I wanted Zarate to win, and ended up being a little disappointed when he did.
    The intensity of that one was startling. They box for about a minute and then BOOM! Out come the bombs. Zamora was really good, but Carlos ruined him that night.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Wow Zamora stopped the great Eusabio Pedroza in only two rounds, he must have been a beast. I will have to check him out, Barry McGuigan only just managed to beat the much older version and was really impreseed by Pedroza then
    Pedroza was pretty young, but hell he was already ranked #2 at 118. El Alacran really bloomed at 126.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chinchekked View Post
    Gotta admit that I don't know much about Zamora but I have a question. What happened to him after this fight?! 28-0 before this fight but he retires at 35-15? Did this fight effectively destroy him or did something else take place?
    He retired at 33-5. (35-15 IIRC is Pipino Cuevas' final record)

I think this fight wrecked him. He got drilled again six months later by the formidable Jorge Lujan and never had another meaningful win and was retired at 26.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chinchekked View Post
    He retired at 33-5. (35-15 IIRC is Pipino Cuevas' final record)

I think this fight wrecked him. He got drilled again six months later by the formidable Jorge Lujan and never had another meaningful win and was retired at 26.
    Oh, my mistake and you are spot on with quoting Cuevas' final record because that is exactly who I must have gotten him mixed up with due to the fact I have been looking at a lot of Cuevas' fights recently. Spot on Marbleheadmaui, you know your stuff!
    If you think you can......you can, if you think you can't .......you're right!

Thread Information