Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: R.I.P Mike Towell

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    My thoughts were along the same lines as Smash. I appreciate that people enter the ring at less than 100% all the time. But there should be a distinction between a niggle, and persistent severe headaches that stop sparring, especially if that person then misses weight and has to strip more fluid off. Too many red flags going up. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Awful situation

Exactly @Memphis i mean ffs it's not exactly rocket science and in any other sport the athlete would be stopped from competing

Football - leg injury and he's rested
    Rugby - Same
    Tennis - Arm/leg injury and he's rested

And i could go through 100's of sports

What is criminal is that a boxers head is the main target area and if it's in a bad way for 2 WEEKS leading up to a fight then why the fuck was he still allowed to fight?

Is a mandatory 2 minute brain scan after the weigh in such a huge thing to put every fighter through?

So Simple to install but seemingly so distant in a time of high tech everything!!!

I've been saying this for fucking years now that this sort of scanning has to be mandatory and im 100% right when i say it affects Boxing because look at the Madison Square garden situation where the promoters now have to pay Crazy insurance policies per fighter just to get the green light to stage fights but MMA/UFC gets away scott free.

There are NO boxing matches booked at all in the future at MSG in NYC.

The Boxing Hierarchy seriously need to pull their fingers out of their ass and sort this situaion out.

Fighters are IMO losing their lives or being put into comas etc one after the other and it's easily fixed.

OK so some fighters will sustain the brain bleed during the fight BUT statistics and Top Neurosurgeons are on record saying 90% of Brain trauma is caused in sparring leading up to a fight so why are the boxers not being scanned pre fight.

So what if the fight has to be rescheduled!!!! Honour the tickets already bought by the punters and make a future date when it's safe to fight.

Im 100% sure any true fight fan will agree this is not a massive problem if it ensures the future of Boxing

Sorry state of affairs that this Son/Father/Fighter lost his life and unnecessarily in my view!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    My thoughts were along the same lines as Smash. I appreciate that people enter the ring at less than 100% all the time. But there should be a distinction between a niggle, and persistent severe headaches that stop sparring, especially if that person then misses weight and has to strip more fluid off. Too many red flags going up. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Awful situation
    From the outside looking in, we will never know exactly how bad he felt, and what Mike's own analysis of his headaches were. There are some that just go away with a couple of paracetamol, and some that leave you lying down for six hours with nothing able to shift it. In the two weeks before a fight, he should have finished sparring anyway, or at least ten days before the fight, so I don't think its fair to cast judgement on his team or anyone around him when we don't know the facts. If he's told everyone, then yes, fair enough. However, at the moment we don't know that, and his partner may just not have understood the red flag that was shared with her.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barely just 25 real tragedy. I've always believed a corners work and judgement doesn't end at the final bell when it comes to looking out for a fighter. Exhibiting continual headaches and ailment is enough to send most of us to a Doctor or two. Not placing blame and the only thing important now are his loved ones left grieving. And in all fairness a Doctor really only knows how much we let on and disclose. Hope he, family and opponent can find peace.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So sad to hear of another tragic loss in our boxing family. My sincere condolences to Mike's family and friends. R.I.P Mike
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Thread Information