Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are the Beatles overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Monkees were better than the Beatles. They were very much underrated.
    And you wonder why people think you're a dopey twat! Bring back PK I say!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    And you wonder why people think you're a dopey twat! Bring back PK I say!
    Oh how I miss PK

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw windwood in Hartford. Had to sit through his nineties stuff but after a while he came out with just an acoustic and did his traffic stuff, great show, I can still feel John barleycorn
    Last edited by walrus; 08-16-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Someone should do a Beach Boys thread.
    I need a good laugh.
    The Beach Boys were great, what's not to like? They relied heavily on The Kingston Trio and Chuck Berry but there's no denying their talent.

Three Dog Night also very underrated probably because they were so pop based, but 21 Top 40 hits between 1968 and 1975 is a very impressive feat.

Louis Jordan is underrated, Jerry Lee Lewis is amazing, Fats Domino amazing, there's talent galore from back in the day

I'm not too good with the apparently dozens of rock sub-styles..... but I'll just call the Beach Boys the lollipops of rock. Matter of fact, I hesitate to even classify their music as rock. It's more like a nauseating pop, feel-good style. Honestly I never heard anything of value from them. I can't fathom their popularity.

Of the groups you mentioned, Three Dog Night I did like. Some of their hits were bonafide good music at the time they were released.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Someone should do a Beach Boys thread.
    I need a good laugh.
    The Beach Boys were great, what's not to like? They relied heavily on The Kingston Trio and Chuck Berry but there's no denying their talent.

Three Dog Night also very underrated probably because they were so pop based, but 21 Top 40 hits between 1968 and 1975 is a very impressive feat.

Louis Jordan is underrated, Jerry Lee Lewis is amazing, Fats Domino amazing, there's talent galore from back in the day

I'm not too good with the apparently dozens of rock sub-styles..... but I'll just call the Beach Boys the lollipops of rock. Matter of fact, I hesitate to even classify their music as rock. It's more like a nauseating pop, feel-good style. Honestly I never heard anything of value from them. I can't fathom their popularity.

Of the groups you mentioned, Three Dog Night I did like. Some of their hits were bonafide good music at the time they were released.
    I never understood the Beach boys love. The Beatles made music art. Beach boys made music boring.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed. Pet Sound is meant to be this masterpiece, but outside of God Only Knows, it isn't very interesting at all. I can see the work that went into it, but that doesn't make it good. It's almost like there are some albums you have to respect as they are of the holy elements in rock lineage, but if the music doesn't hold up or have the songs, then you have to be able to dismiss it. Yet rock journalists will ALWAYS have pet sounds in the top 20 of all time. I bought it years ago, gave it plenty of chances, but I do not enjoy it at all. Yep overrated.

I also think The Strokes got incredibly overrated. Their first album was alright. It was a decent garage rock album, but the way the media salivated over was quite extraordinary. It became the hipster badge of honour, stylishly unkept haircuts were in, guitars were back, but it wasn't that good. Some decent songs, some not so good. Is this it? At about 30 minutes I guess it was A 7/10 album really. Then the follow up albums were not all that either were they? Overrated.

I also think Oasis are overrated. That first album gets lauded all the time, but it's not that great. It's hardly a Station to Station, or a White Album, or a London Calling. It was very crude Status Quo rock with a couple of mouthy gits. Live Forever was great, but some of those songs are actually a bit dull. Certainly none of the really intricate songwriting you saw on the albums mentioned earlier, yet quite often, especially in British rock journalism you will see Definitely Maybe above those albums and I really don't see it. Don't get me wrong, Definitely Maybe is alright, maybe an 8/10 album, but it isn't a masterpiece or anything of the sort. Morning Glory is better IMO and then Oasis became really average. Nothing more than a 4 good songs an album kind of band then. Overrated.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Gandalf @Batman @Dia bando DEDICATED TO @denilson200

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Agreed. Pet Sound is meant to be this masterpiece, but outside of God Only Knows, it isn't very interesting at all. I can see the work that went into it, but that doesn't make it good. It's almost like there are some albums you have to respect as they are of the holy elements in rock lineage, but if the music doesn't hold up or have the songs, then you have to be able to dismiss it. Yet rock journalists will ALWAYS have pet sounds in the top 20 of all time. I bought it years ago, gave it plenty of chances, but I do not enjoy it at all. Yep overrated.

I also think The Strokes got incredibly overrated. Their first album was alright. It was a decent garage rock album, but the way the media salivated over was quite extraordinary. It became the hipster badge of honour, stylishly unkept haircuts were in, guitars were back, but it wasn't that good. Some decent songs, some not so good. Is this it? At about 30 minutes I guess it was A 7/10 album really. Then the follow up albums were not all that either were they? Overrated.

I also think Oasis are overrated. That first album gets lauded all the time, but it's not that great. It's hardly a Station to Station, or a White Album, or a London Calling. It was very crude Status Quo rock with a couple of mouthy gits. Live Forever was great, but some of those songs are actually a bit dull. Certainly none of the really intricate songwriting you saw on the albums mentioned earlier, yet quite often, especially in British rock journalism you will see Definitely Maybe above those albums and I really don't see it. Don't get me wrong, Definitely Maybe is alright, maybe an 8/10 album, but it isn't a masterpiece or anything of the sort. Morning Glory is better IMO and then Oasis became really average. Nothing more than a 4 good songs an album kind of band then. Overrated.
    Agree on beech boys and pet sounds
    Agree on the strokes (the black rebel motorcycle club have always been a far superior band, they came out at the same time and for some reason people gravitated to the strokes a lot more)
    Disagree to an extent on oasis, def maybe and what's the story were brilliant, be here now could have been fantastic if they trimmed down the run time, sotsog was decent and had some good songs on it (the band were in trouble at the time and it shows on the record) heathen chemistry was on the low side of ok

I never listened to anything after that but the singles never filled me with glee

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I quite like the Beach Boys. It doesn't need to be intricate or contain social commentary, or be complex or anything ..... when I listen to them, they make me happy
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I quite like the Beach Boys. It doesn't need to be intricate or contain social commentary, or be complex or anything ..... when I listen to them, they make me happy
    Agree with this also, Beach Boys are Sunday morning whilst tidying up music

El Kabong Guest

Well to each their own, I think The Beach Boys were very important. "nauseating" and "feel-good" go together for you do they? They're just a California twist on what groups like Dion and the Belmonts and Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons were doing I guess you didn't like those groups either...to each their own.

I know I ain't common......I got class I ain't even used yet

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

California Girls, while one of the most popular and played Beach Boys songs (not to mention being about a good topic)...... is also one of the most nauseating. The opening tunes.... the whiny singing.... the lollipop sounds.... the nothingness of the music.... BARF. The only group I would think of comparing them to is Air Supply, and even they sound a bit better in comparison.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They always go on about Brian Wilson being a tortured genius. Well, anyone would be tortured if they had those melodies going around in their head constantly. It would be bloody annoying to wake up everyday with Good Vibrations going through your head. Give me the lithium!,j5

Thread Information