Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Miranda have beaten Taylor on the night of Sept 29th., 2007?

Share/Bookmark
    SigmaMu Guest

Wink Could Miranda have beaten Taylor on the night of Sept 29th., 2007?

Many people thought that Miranda would beat Pavlik and then move on to beat Taylor. I was one of them. (I know, I am on the Pavlik bandwagon now) so what

I still like Miranda, he is funny and he bounced back, although he has yet to avange his loss

What is the deal with Taylor and Miranda? Are they both moving up? Were they both chased out of the Middle Weight Division by Pavlik? Would any one like to see Taylor/Miranda at 168? And Could Miranda have beaten Taylor on the night of Sept 29th., 2007?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Could Miranda have beaten Taylor on the night of Sept 29th., 2007?

I would have been cheering for him, but I don't think he would have. Taylor's boxing ability would've made it a tough fight for Miranda. Taylor would know exactly what Miranda was going to try to do and I think he would've been able to handle what Miranda brought to the table. I'd think the end would look something like the 2nd round of the 1st Pavlik fight, except I don't think Miranda would've recovered and survived like Pavlik did.

I'd love to see them fight at SMW though, I think i said before that I think Miranda-Taylor would be a great fight for Taylor's 1st SMW bout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    Many people thought that Miranda would beat Pavlik and then move on to beat Taylor. I was one of them. (I know, I am on the Pavlik bandwagon now) so what

I still like Miranda, he is funny and he bounced back, although he has yet to avange his loss

What is the deal with Taylor and Miranda? Are they both moving up? Were they both chased out of the Middle Weight Division by Pavlik? Would any one like to see Taylor/Miranda at 168? And Could Miranda have beaten Taylor on the night of Sept 29th., 2007?

Miranda is actually still considered a MW, and him fighting Abraham again still confirms that to a degree.

I also thought Miranda would beat Pavlik. I still believe to this day that if Edison would learn to throw his punches a bit straighter and use something called "Defense" he could beat most the guys out there including Pavlik. (as much as I like Kelly I think if Taylor hurt him Miranda could KO him).

As far as your question I would have to say it is possible. We all knew Taylor was due for a fall. He looked like junk is his 2 or so previous fights up until that night and they were against smaller men.

This of course is not trying to take anything away from Pavlik, Kelly fought a great fight and is a deserved champion who I think will reign for a long time as long as he keeps doing what he is doing right now.

Just the night you are speaking of I think Taylor also would have lost to Abraham, Sturm and Wright if they were his opp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

absolutely not. Pavlik is just that good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Edison Miranda was weight drained when he fought Pavlik - thats why he looked so lethargic and powerless. Hence Miranda's anger that Taylor was putting off fighting him - he knew he didn't have long left at that weight and Kelly Pavlik proved him right.

The evidence is that he struggled to make weight for the Arthur Abraham fight 8 months before and needed a couple of attempts to make the weight at the weigh-in.

Still Pavlik looked exceptional that night but I would like to see a rematch at Super Middleweight to see if Pavlik defeats a full strength, powerful Miranda.

Also Miranda's last 2 fights have been at Super Middleweight (against Porras and Banks). His rematch with Abraham is at an agreed catchweight.
    Last edited by WelshDevilRob; 06-13-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDevilRob View Post
    Edison Miranda was weight drained when he fought Pavlik - thats why he looked so lethargic and powerless. Hence Miranda's anger that Taylor was putting off fighting him - he knew he didn't have long left at that weight and Kelly Pavlik proved him right.

The evidence is that he struggled to make weight for the Arthur Abraham fight 8 months before and needed a couple of attempts to make the weight at the weigh-in.

Still Pavlik looked exceptional that night but I would like to see a rematch at Super Middleweight to see if Pavlik defeats a full strength, powerful Miranda.

Also Miranda's last 2 fights have been at Super Middleweight (against Porras and Banks). His rematch with Abraham is at an agreed catchweight.
    Ditto that for me......that fight would be a who hit's who first type of thing now.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Miranda/Taylor is one of the fights I most want to see made. Pavlik threw a wrench in both of their plans; so they need to bang at smw.

Whether Miranda could have beat him on the 29th; I think it would have gone to a decision for Taylor. I seriously wonder how much blood, sweat and tears they both put into their camps going into the Pavlik fight, and how different it might have been had Kelly not been in the equation and they had faced each other. Only thing I could see going against Taylor is the later rounds where he is known to tire, and against someone like Miranda that could be bad news. I'd still have picked Taylor.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Miranda at any weight has no chance against a fighter like Taylor. There's too great a disparity in the pedigrees. The only thing Miranda has is power. He can't box, he can't defend, he has no ring generalship to speak of. Taylor would have made Miranda look just as sloppy as Pavlik did. Remember, Taylor knocked Pavlik down with shots that SHOULD have kayoed him. Does Miranda have that kind of chin? NO! Edison Miranda is a poor man's Mayorga.
    Oops

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Taylor would have beat him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by liquid View Post
    Miranda at any weight has no chance against a fighter like Taylor. There's too great a disparity in the pedigrees. The only thing Miranda has is power. He can't box, he can't defend, he has no ring generalship to speak of. Taylor would have made Miranda look just as sloppy as Pavlik did. Remember, Taylor knocked Pavlik down with shots that SHOULD have kayoed him. Does Miranda have that kind of chin? NO! Edison Miranda is a poor man's Mayorga.
    A poor man's Mayorga I like that. Have some rep.

On a regular basis I do not think Miranda could beat Taylor. I just think the Taylor we seen that night was not a 100% Taylor. He looked discouraged from the start in my opinion. He had looked bored of boxing for his last 2 fights. I blame his management team on that for not keeping him with class A challenges. outside of the Winky Wright fight I think the 2 bouts with Spinks and Ouma did something to his psyche.

He went from fighting his way to the #1 spot. Facing and beating twice arguably one of the 3 best Middleweights of all time to fighting 2 soft punching 154lb fighters and a one a defensive nightmare 154lb. Hard to keep the momentum mentally when things like that happen.

I think it all worked out for the best in the end if you ask me. Taylor will rejuvenate himself in a brand new practically wide open division, we have Pavlik with a firm lock on the MW title and Miranda and Abraham get to repeat their first war with Miranda getting a chance to redeem at least 1 of his losses.

If you think about it it could not have worked out better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    Interesting topic Danny.

I think there's a decent shot that we see Taylor vs. Miranda down the road at 168. And it'd be an entertaining fight.

I would have picked Taylor to beat Miranda on Sept 29, '07.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Miranda would have or ever will beat Taylor, just too much of a gap in ability. Taylor of course could make a muck of it by fighting scared, but if he fights smart and asserts himself in the right spots like he did in the PAvlik rematch I think he'd be too much for Miranda, and constantly find a home for the right hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Miranda would have hurt him really bad...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDevilRob View Post

Great post. If Miranda (and Pavlik) win their next 1-2 fights I am sure we will see the rematch at 168lbs. Weight drained is an understatement of what happened to Miranda, he had a fevor too. But even at 100%, I still would never say he beats Pavlik at 160lbs. At 168lbs it would be a war and I hope we get to find out.

I also hope he gets his shot at Taylor someday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Miranda could've beaten Taylor. I think Taylor is just as strong as Miranda with even faster hands/ lights years apart in skill, just so happens taylor doesnt push his will harder on his opponent than that of Miranda.
    Taylor is a Tentative destroyer, almost like Juarez in agression. Taylor IMO is the strongest physical specimen in the Middleweights up until Pavlik arrived

Thread Information