Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tyson-Douglas: Slow count?

Some people say Douglas got a slow count when he got dropped by Tyson in the 8th round of their fight, while Tyson got a fast count.

Does it matter that much? Tyson wasn't looking good until he dropped Douglas. Really, other than that knockdown, Douglas dominated the fight.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tyson-Douglas: Slow count?

It made no difference to the fight.

Douglas got more than a 10 count but he was aware and got up when it was 9.

Tyson was so battered that he could not put his gum shield back in his mouth so would have been stopped anyway.

The scoring was the real scandal, Douglas won and dominated nearly every round. King and Sulliman were going to over turn the result of the fight. Corrupt scumbags.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you rewatch it when Tyson floors Douglas the ref starts the count literally as soon as Douglas hits the deck then gets to about 2 and looks round to see if Tyson is in the corner, the ref carries on with the count and Douglas is up fully at 9 seconds.
    Might have been 1 second long but no more than that so the whole long count thing was a bit of a myth really.
    I think the boxing world was so shocked Tyson lost to a nobody that a lot of people were clutching at straws for a logical answer and remember Tyson wasn't exactly screaming about a long count and demanding a rematch was he 😉
    Douglas stood up to a bully and beat the fuck out of him.
    Tyson definitely was nowhere near match fit though and the fight was at 10am in front of a mute crowd.
    Douglas won that fair and square.
    Still love that uppercut that nearly spun Tysons head around followed by 4-5 solid punches all on target.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It doesn't matter. In the grand scheme of things Douglas was just an instrument/ a one hit wonder, when you look at how he got wiped out by Holyfield. I think things happened better for all involved. Its my belief that if it didn't happen, Mike would have probably been dead within months. Looking back at his life, He's been very lucky in that the powers that be have allowed him to lose a lot without fully hitting rock bottom. which has helped him to grow to be a better person. The loss to Douglas, Prison, the loss of his daughter.... the humbling experiences say, at least to me, that there is a plan for him.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Still wonder if the outcome would have been same if held in USA

Yes long count or not Douglas was aware
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    It doesn't matter. In the grand scheme of things Douglas was just an instrument/ a one hit wonder, when you look at how he got wiped out by Holyfield. I think things happened better for all involved. Its my belief that if it didn't happen, Mike would have probably been dead within months. Looking back at his life, He's been very lucky in that the powers that be have allowed him to lose a lot without fully hitting rock bottom. which has helped him to grow to be a better person. The loss to Douglas, Prison, the loss of his daughter.... the humbling experiences say, at least to me, that there is a plan for him.
    I disagree Tyson could have been a great champion and had more defences if he stayed disciplined and would have beat Holyfield after Douglas. Tyson wasted his talent and self destructed in spectacular fashion.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don King did his best to try and get that decision reversed. Tyson's life style had caught up to him by then.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am a massive Tyson fan, but the bloke was a self-loathing nutjob with serious addictive tendencies.

If boxing (and Cus D'Amato) hadn't found him, it's very likely he would have been dead or serving a life sentence by 20 instead of being the youngest and most destructive heavyweight champ in history.

Looking back, I suspect that his peak was always going to be short and meteoric. The truth is that by the time he fought Douglas, he was pretty much finished as an elite boxer. He wasn't training properly and was leading an incredibly destructive lifestyle.

The so called long count was completely irrelevant in this fight. Douglas was superb and was completely dominating the fight. Tyson reached back into his past to produce the knockdown, but Buster was fully compos mentis and I think Tyson was too tired to finish him off at that point. Douglas would have just got up and continued to punish Tyson.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I am a massive Tyson fan, but the bloke was a self-loathing nutjob with serious addictive tendencies.

If boxing (and Cus D'Amato) hadn't found him, it's very likely he would have been dead or serving a life sentence by 20 instead of being the youngest and most destructive heavyweight champ in history.

Looking back, I suspect that his peak was always going to be short and meteoric. The truth is that by the time he fought Douglas, he was pretty much finished as an elite boxer. He wasn't training properly and was leading an incredibly destructive lifestyle.

The so called long count was completely irrelevant in this fight. Douglas was superb and was completely dominating the fight. Tyson reached back into his past to produce the knockdown, but Buster was fully compos mentis and I think Tyson was too tired to finish him off at that point. Douglas would have just got up and continued to punish Tyson.
    agree with all that - good points

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Tyson-Douglas: Slow count?

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    I disagree Tyson could have been a great champion and had more defences if he stayed disciplined and would have beat Holyfield after Douglas. Tyson wasted his talent and self destructed in spectacular fashion.
    I'm not saying Tyson couldn't have been one of the greatest Heavies ever if he stayed disciplined. Might still be, even in light of everything... I'm a big tyson fan, but you have to look at the shape he was in the night of the fight. Starting with the crash in 1998 because his wife wouldn't stay at training camp with him, he had been mentally unraveling up until this point. He physically had been taking care of business, but then fired Rooney after the sphinks fight. That was his last tie to the D'amato days. So noone was on him to reign him in and keep him focused. His support system that night was completely filled with fakes and charlatans that night (he just divorced his wife, lost bill cayton in addition to rooney) . He was dropped in sparring by Greg Page, had been banging Japanese hookers and doing blow non stop in Japan. His corner didn't have an endswell (they used a condom filled with water) and Aaron snowell never fought or trained anyone up till that point.

Tyson with the right trainer, the right support system, and little distraction could have maybe been the best heavy weight champ ever. But he deviated so far from that ideal situation that there was no way to get him back without a complete tear down and rebuild. Even then two things would derail that, money and age. So he would have never been 100% of what he was, 90% was probably enough to accomplish what you described, but with the circumstances what they were... (especially no rooney (Trainer/friend) and the devil (king) whispering in his ear...) -- Tyson had the skills just not the trust and direction after a certain point. Probably when Jimmy Jacobs passed.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson is a myth not a legend.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Slow count 4 sure.

Tyson KO 8

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's 13 seconds, not sure what the ref was doing there.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    It's 13 seconds, not sure what the ref was doing there.
    As with Gene Tunney, it really does not make a difference, Douglas was watching and waiting all the time and he could have got up earlier if required.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

maybe they should have a rematch ?

Thread Information