Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "Iron" Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr

Mike Tyson has explained why he’s given up smoking marijuana ahead of his upcoming fight with Roy Jones Jr on November 28.

The 54-year-old is making a comeback for an exhibition bout against his 51-year-old rival and preparing his body for war again.

Tyson has undergone electric shock muscle therapy ahead of the fight as one of many modern techniques to ensure he’s ready to box again.

In the most recent years of his retirement, ‘Iron Mike’ has launched his own cannabis company Tyson Holistic Holdings and Tyson Ranch.

The former undisputed heavyweight champion struggled for years with substance abuse including cocaine, but said he found comfort in marijuana.

Earlier this year he revealed he smokes around $40,000 worth per month, but that has now come to a halt.

When asked if he’s still smoking now his fight is set, Tyson said on the Joe Rogan podcast: “Pretty much stopped, when you do something like this it’s all about change.

“Listen, you can’t continue being a comedian if you’re not sharpening your psyche,” he explained to the UFC commentator, who is also a stand-up comic.

“Even when you’re doing this here, you’re practising your comedian act.

“You have to continue to practice.”

Regarding whether he misses the drug, Tyson replied: “I understand the discipline of this stuff.

“What I don’t like about it is that without cannabis I just get mean. I don’t like the mean stuff, I don’t like it.

“I might snap at my wife or my kids, that’s what I don’t like.

“Sometimes I get caught up into my ego, it’s just a struggle but I’m working on it.

“I never worked on it before, so that’s a start, right?”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/7...omeback-fight/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikey doesn't need to smoke a joint to check his mean streak. Fight a HW, they'll do it for him. Send him right back to the ganga farm as the resident weed-head. What a joke if he is taking a fight with Roy Jones as anything other than what he claimed: for charity.
    Please Roy get back on the ripped fuel and find some reflexes and run around that ring until Mike's asthma and years of weed smokin' kicks in.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike has always had a certain degree of sort of Street philosophy entertainment value, but I think we've seen that over and over now over the past 10 years and it has gotten old

He really hasn't probably changed as much as he claims he has

Nobody wants to hear what riddick bowe says and nobody wants to hear what evandir holyfield says and nobody cares what Larry Holmes says but for some reason everybody wants to hear Mike Tyson "philosophize"

Weird

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones Jr. says he may have ‘made a mistake’ agreeing to fight with Mike Tyson

It seems that Jones has had a change of heart about heading to the ring to fight Tyson

Two months ahead of their scheduled head-to-head, boxer Roy Jones Jr. is admitting he may have “made a mistake” when he agreed to fight in an exhibition with former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson.

Read More: A record 10 Black quarterbacks started this NFL season

According to reports, Jones and Tyson were originally supposed to fight this month, but promoters pushed the exhibition back to attract a larger audience.

Now the duo is set to compete in an unofficial bout on Nov. 28 in Carson, California.

But over the weekend the former four-weight world-champion boxer expressed reservations about the fighting the now 54-year-old former heavyweight champion, who he knows won’t take it easy on him.

“When it comes time to fight, we’re going to fight,” Jones said. “If it comes down to bite, we’re going to bite. Whatever has to happen is going to happen. That’s just what it is.”

He added: “He’s still Mike Tyson. He’s still one of the strongest, most explosive people who ever touched a boxing ring. If anything, I made a mistake going in with him. He’s the bigger guy. He’s the explosive guy.”

“He’s going to have all the first-round fireworks, not me,” the 51-year-old predicted. “I do have first-round fireworks, but he’s known for more first-round fireworks than anybody to ever touch boxing, other than maybe George Foreman.”

“With him having the first-round fireworks, he’ll be against a guy smaller than him, maybe 40-50 pounds smaller than him.”

Considering Tyson’s recent comments about the event, Jones’ concerns may be well deserved.

“We’re throwing punches at each other. This is going to be my definition of fun … broken eye sockets, broken jaw, broken rib. That’s fun to me,” Tyson recently said during an appearance on The Dan Patrick Show.

https://news.yahoo.com/roy-jones-jr-...234200095.html

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Roy Jones Jr. says he may have ‘made a mistake’ agreeing to fight with Mike Tyson.......................

......................He added: “He’s still Mike Tyson. He’s still one of the strongest, most explosive people who ever touched a boxing ring. If anything, I made a mistake going in with him. He’s the bigger guy. He’s the explosive guy.

Ya think?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he were to change his mind & opt out, no-one would hold him accountable. Why should they. This is the ultimate bully move; A HW training hard to fight a LHW/Cruiser known at the end of his career for getting KTFO'd with one shot by cruisers, not heavies.
    Please opt out RJJ.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    If he were to change his mind & opt out, no-one would hold him accountable. Why should they. This is the ultimate bully move; A HW training hard to fight a LHW/Cruiser known at the end of his career for getting KTFO'd with one shot by cruisers, not heavies.
    Please opt out RJJ.
    Yeah I don't understand why he took it

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Tyson has offered appraisals of three of the biggest names in heavyweight boxing ahead of his return to the sport against Roy Jones Jr later this month.

Tyson, 54, is set to step foot in the ring in a competitive capacity for the first time in fifteen years when he takes on 51-year-old Jones Jr on 29 November.

But ahead of that bout at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Tyson has had his mind on other heavyweights in WBC champion Tyson Fury, the ‘Gypsy King’s rival Deontay Wilder, and WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO titleholder Anthony Joshua.

Tyson was full of praise for Fury, telling ESPN: “I think he’s very good. He looks like he’s not intimidating, but he’s really elusive, he really knows how to box.

“He’s really smart and he’s really difficult to hit, and he’s seven-feet [tall], damn near. He’s a monster.”

Tyson was somewhat more critical of Fury’s compatriot Joshua, however, saying: “That guy could learn some more. He could be taught some more stuff.

“I don’t think he’s a paper champion, I just think he’s a big guy.

“It’s hard to fight being that big; it’s very difficult being that big and having to fight a smaller guy.”

Tyson also offered an evaluation of Wilder, saying of the ‘Bronze Bomber’: “When Wilder gets his head out of his butt, he’s good.

“Wilder’s just gotta stop internalising stuff, this guy is great.

“Just keep on fighting. Fight [Fury] again – fight him a third time. Whenever you have an opportunity to fight for the title, he should fight.

“We can only do this for a certain amount of time in our life, and then we can’t do it anymore. So we have to do it as much as we can before we end this stuff.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ant...150257844.html

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Tyson will fight for the first time since 2005 this weekend

Boxing legends Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr return to the ring in an exhibition contest this weekend.

The retired American duo are set to square off in Los Angeles in a hotly-anticipated - if somewhat bizarre - spectacle that was originally supposed to take place in September, before being delayed.

It has been 15 years since former undisputed world heavyweight champion Tyson, 54, called it quits during a shock defeat by Ireland’s Kevin McBride in 2005.

Meanwhile, 51-year-old Jones - a former four-weight world champion who remains the only boxer ever to win a heavyweight world title after beginning his career at light-middleweight - only called time on his 29-year, 75-fight career in 2018, after a farewell victory over Scott Sigmon in his hometown of Pensacola, Florida.

[IMG][/IMG]

Rules

Both men will wear heavier 12-ounce gloves but no head protection across rounds lasting only two minutes each, while there will also be no judges at ringside.

There have been suggestions that the exhibition bout - part of Tyson’s new Legends Only League venture - is likely to more resemble sparring than an actual competitive fight, with claims that neither boxer will be permitted to go for the knockout.

The contest will be refereed by the experienced Ray Corona and is expected to be halted if either Tyson or Jones Jr is cut.

The winner will receive a special ‘Frontline Battle Belt’, specially created by the WBC for his occasion.

Full fight card

The undercard for this unusual event features former two-weight world champion Badou Jack, while YouTube star Jake Paul returns to the ring for his second pro fight - this time against former NBA guard Nate Robinson.

Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr

Badou Jack vs Blake McKernan

Jamaine Ortiz vs Sulaiman Segawa

Irvin Gonzalez vs Edward Vasquez

Joe Cusumano vs Nick Jones

Jake Paul vs Nate Robinson

Viddal Riley vs Rashad Coulter

Date and venue

Tyson vs Jones Jr takes place on Saturday, November 28, 2020 at Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

How to watch: TV channel, live stream and UK start time

In the UK, Tyson vs Jones Jr is being shown exclusively live on BT Sport Box Office 2 - at a cost of £19.95 - and will follow the British heavyweight showdown between Daniel Dubois and Joe Joyce in London.

Coverage will begin at 1am GMT on Sunday morning, with British fight fans looking at a start time of around 5am for the main event.

Tickets

There are no tickets available for this event, which is being held behind closed doors due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Purse

Tyson and Jones Jr are reportedly set to make an initial $10million (£7.5m) each from the fight, which could rise substantially if it proves to be the pay-per-view success than many anticipate.

Tyson had pledged to donate his purse to charity.

Prediction

With Tyson having long since retired and suggestions that this will be nothing more than a glorified spar, it’s difficult to state a definitive prediction.

‘Iron Mike’ has looked in fearsome condition in training videos posted online, while he boasts an obvious size advantage.

If both men are allowed to properly let their hands go and he quickly gets back into the swing of things, it isn’t too difficult to foresee Tyson forcing a stoppage.

However, Jones Jr has the far more recent in-ring experience and I can see him having the better of an odd spectacle that will leave fans expecting fireworks sorely disappointed.

Jones Jr to win.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/mik...161330318.html

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The rules for this make the fight even less exciting. There is no winner and no knockouts. Basically, they will get in there and throw a few punches and I’m sure it will be boring. I’ll watch the replay on YouTube later. This exhibition should be 3 rounds not 8. And another thing, this show should be huge into showcasing young talent. Use this spectacle as a way to promote boxing and fighters

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No interest in this whatsoever, what idiot even made this thread a sticky?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This news has just broke that neither fighter is allowed to go for the KO
    Anyone who actually pays for this is an absolute fucking mug.

Tyson vs Jones Jr: No knockouts or judges in exhibition bout between Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...d-roy-jones-jr

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a freak show!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    No interest in this whatsoever, what idiot even made this thread a sticky?
    If you have no interest in the thread then why post some news about it you dumb fuck?

Clown.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone see the official fight poster? Man they tried to make Roy look 80 years old . That's just wrong. Can't believe what they're charging for basically lite touch sparring but hey you get to see Jack Paul again .

Thread Information