Thread: Who should Sergio face next?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez vs Ward might be a short fight but not boring!!!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who should Sergio face next?

I really doubt GB let's Canelo anywhere near Martinez...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's getting very interesting now, most people say Alvarez and i agree with them, Sergio would also find it very difficult with Geale. We are going to see some great match ups here for the next 12 months.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would like to see Martinez bust up the ginger one.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I voted Mayweather, he deserves the fight, and I think it would be a great fight.

No way against Cotto!!!!! I cannot have my men fighting each other!!! I honestly don't think that I could watch that fight.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Nonsense, I would let them fight tomorrow. Alvarez would have more trouble with Martinez than Cotto but is capable of beating both. Golvolkin ends Martinez career. Sergio should fight Geale, he wins that one easily.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin or Geale

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I'd like to see Sergio fight someone else besides Junior, who really doesn't deserve a rematch.
    Could not agree more. At least Charles and Walcott had a case with Marciano. I'd like to see him fight Geale in Australia and get that much close to full unification. I realize the chances are slim as most likely the governing bodies wont allow it but its ideal if one laments for unification and one champ in each division.

Floyd is obviously the biggest money fight but I think weight would really be an issue unless Floyd wants to emulate Leonard.

I think 168 is just to big for him so a Ward fight is off the table imo.

Think Cotto/Canelo will be next May.

Sergio will be 38 in February. Now I know he started late but he's going to wake up one day and just not have it anymore so I think he will make a concerted effort to get Floyd.
    why is weight an issue? Martinez has said he could make 154. He only weighs about 167-168 in the ring at 160 (which happens to be about the same as Canelo probably weighs).

168 would be a problem considering he is smallish for 160.
    That was then and this is now. It was 155. That is not Floyds style. If Floyd was interested in the middleweight title he would not ask for a catchweight.
    Floyd fought Marquez at a catchweight. I could see him doing the same with Martinez. On the other hand, if I were Floyd, I would face (1) Pacquiao and (2) Canelo.

For me, it's either Canelo or Cotto. No offense @Diane and @TitoFan, correct me if I'm wrong, but Cotto has ducked Martinez in the past. There's a history there.

I agree with @CutMeMick, I can't see Golden Boy putting Canelo in with Martinez at this stage. Canelo called out Mayweather and Cotto after he beat the undersized Lopez--no mention of Martinez.

Ward would beat up Martinez at 168. I don't see that fight as competitive. At that weight, I'm not sure Martinez even has a puncher's chance. If Ward roughed up Kessler and Green, he would maul a smaller Martinez. In any event, Dibella has made it clear Martinez won't go up in weight.

In terms of a fight with Junior, let's see Junior rebound from this loss and beat someone like Macklin first.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm high on Golovkin's potential as well, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. With Golovkin, I want to see him face the winner of N'Jikam and Quillin.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez is saying he doesn't fancy fighting in Texas what with their judges and lack of serious drug testing, tiny rings etc. He says he'd rather fight Cotto at catchweight. I'm guessing this is just two starting positions for further negotiation though.

If his knee is bad he might not fight again for a year. Sulaiman will have stripped him by then and Junior may have gone to 168. Just because Junior says he wants a rematch doesn't mean he really wants one.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he should go for Geale and work towards becoming an undisputed champ.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should go on a publicity blitz after Mayweather. He has options from 160-154 and Chavez needs to redefine his approach or frankly I think he's peaked. Canello would be fun tv and another high profile crossroads type clash but I just don't think Alvarez has had to dig deep enough to jump in against a streaking Martinez even at 37 but I'd pay to see them go. Not liking Ward at 168, think that's pushing it for him. Cotto is maketable and more than willing but I like him too much to want him to face Sergio. Don't think that goes well for Miguel. I gotta agree with Rant on Golovkin, just need to see him do more. What about a Lara at 154, too early? Nice styles clash.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sergio should fight where he will make the most money and is a realistic chance that it will happen. That is going to be Junior as Arum is keen on it, a venue is very interested and Sergio will at least get parity. Martinez deserves pay days like Manny and Floyd are earning.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Nonsense, I would let them fight tomorrow. Alvarez would have more trouble with Martinez than Cotto but is capable of beating both. Golvolkin ends Martinez career. Sergio should fight Geale, he wins that one easily.
    I think Sergio beats Alvarez, Golovkin and Geale...

I also think Cotto beats Alvarez & JCC Jr... I'm one of the very few he believed Cotto still had it in him when many wrote him off as done and past it.

I see Sergio resting after surgery and not fighting until early 2013...

Cotto and Alvarez seem to be lining up really nice.
    Alvarez just fought didn't even break a sweat and Cotto fights Trout in Dec.
    Cotto takes a month off or so and he and Alvarez can meet May/June of 2013.

Something tells me though Alvarez will fight someone like Bundrage or Kirkland.

PBF will probably wait around and see what Sergio does and have him drop down to 154 and they meet there.

*disclaimer I've been drinking since the morning so bare with me here on this predictions.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I'd like to see Sergio fight someone else besides Junior, who really doesn't deserve a rematch.
    Could not agree more. At least Charles and Walcott had a case with Marciano. I'd like to see him fight Geale in Australia and get that much close to full unification. I realize the chances are slim as most likely the governing bodies wont allow it but its ideal if one laments for unification and one champ in each division.

Floyd is obviously the biggest money fight but I think weight would really be an issue unless Floyd wants to emulate Leonard.

I think 168 is just to big for him so a Ward fight is off the table imo.

Think Cotto/Canelo will be next May.

Sergio will be 38 in February. Now I know he started late but he's going to wake up one day and just not have it anymore so I think he will make a concerted effort to get Floyd.
    why is weight an issue? Martinez has said he could make 154. He only weighs about 167-168 in the ring at 160 (which happens to be about the same as Canelo probably weighs).

168 would be a problem considering he is smallish for 160.
    That was then and this is now. It was 155. That is not Floyds style. If Floyd was interested in the middleweight title he would not ask for a catchweight.
    Floyd fought Marquez at a catchweight. I could see him doing the same with Martinez. On the other hand, if I were Floyd, I would face (1) Pacquiao and (2) Canelo.

For me, it's either Canelo or Cotto. No offense @Diane and @TitoFan, correct me if I'm wrong, but Cotto has ducked Martinez in the past. There's a history there.

I agree with @CutMeMick, I can't see Golden Boy putting Canelo in with Martinez at this stage. Canelo called out Mayweather and Cotto after he beat the undersized Lopez--no mention of Martinez.

Ward would beat up Martinez at 168. I don't see that fight as competitive. At that weight, I'm not sure Martinez even has a puncher's chance. If Ward roughed up Kessler and Green, he would maul a smaller Martinez. In any event, Dibella has made it clear Martinez won't go up in weight.

In terms of a fight with Junior, let's see Junior rebound from this loss and beat someone like Macklin first.

That was different. Marquez was tiny and even then Floyd weighed over. I just don't see Floyd ever asking a man higher to come lower. And again I think Floyd is a little haunted buy the shadow of Leonard and Martinez is not bigger then Hagler.

I think the Pac fight is deader then dead and I just don't see Oscar tossing his main tit to Floyd

Thread Information