Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Leigh Wood v Josh Warrington

Leigh Wood will defend his WBA featherweight world title against Josh Warrington in Sheffield on Saturday, 7 October.

Wood, 34, gained revenge on Mauricio Lara with a unanimous points decision to become a two-time world champion in his last bout in May.

The Nottingham fighter knocked down Mexican Lara in round two and never looked in trouble thereafter.

Warrington will aim to become a three-time featherweight world champion.

Leeds-born Warrington, 32, lost his IBF belt to Mexico's Luis Alberto Lopez following a narrow points defeat last December.

Wood says the domestic bout could produce the biggest British rivalry in the sport.

"I'm extremely excited," he added. "In terms of the followings we've got, the football clubs and the cities, this is arguably the biggest British rivalry in the sport.

"For me, it doesn't really get any bigger. Our styles will gel and that should make for a very exciting and entertaining fight. It should go down in British history.

"Josh has some great wins on his record and is obviously a two-time world champion, but this is a fight that he cannot lose. He's never really been in a boring fight - but neither have I. This fight will be all-action and the fans should be in for a great night."

Warrington added: "It doesn't get much better than a domestic dust up for a world title. I'm obsessed in becoming a three-weight world champion, to get back on top and that is going to show on the night.

"I will bring an army of fans to Sheffield and the atmosphere will be special. Leigh has had a good run and put some good wins together but I just don't believe he can live with me."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/66364180
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Leigh Wood v Josh Warrington

The winner of Leigh Wood v Josh Warrington could be given the chance to become a two-weight world champion by facing super-featherweight Joe Cordina next, says promoter Eddie Hearn.

Nottingham's Wood, 35, defends his WBA world featherweight title against 'Leeds Warrior' Warrington, 32, at Sheffield's Utility Arena on 7 October.

Undefeated Welshman Cordina is the IBF super-featherweight champion.

"I spoke to Joe yesterday and he's up for it," said Matchroom Boxing's Hearn.

Speaking to BBC Sport, Hearn added: "Josh and Leigh just want big fights - that's what motivates them.

"Once you see the build-up and the city support behind them, everyone - especially the fighters - know what's on the line and they'll fight with pride."

With the carrot of a momentous fight with 31-year-old Cordina - unbeaten in 16 pro fights - dangling, Wood is the more active and in-form fighter.

He is on a career-high after a sensational victory against hard-hitting Mauricio Lara in May, having lost his belt to the Mexican in February.

The success was even more impressive as Lara, 25, headed into the contest with a 4lb weight advantage having failed to make weight.

"In the Lara rematch I felt sharp in between my ears and physically. I feel those fights, with tiny little breaks while still training, has put me in a good position," added Wood.

He also feels experience - and fighting for the third time this year - could prove the difference against Warrington, who will have competed just once in 10 months when the two meet.

Warrington beat veteran Kiko Martinez in March 2022 before losing the IBF title to Mexico's Luis Alberto Lopez later in December.

But having enjoyed notable victories over former world champions Lee Selby, Kid Galahad and Carl Frampton, he does not believe inactivity will play a part in the outcome of his world-title challenge.

"No-one ever thought I'd win a commonwealth title, let alone be a two-time world champion," said Warrington.

"So why can't I dream more? Why can't I dream to be a unified champion? To become a two-weight champion or treat my fans to a Las Vegas fight week?"

The fighters came face to face in Tuesday's news conference at the Aspire events venue in Leeds, a day after their contest was announced.

Wood - celebrating his 35th birthday and with his two young daughters in tow - was wearing the colours of his beloved Nottingham Forest.

"I've got my girls with me and I'm taking them on training camp with me tomorrow as well. I've got my boxer and parenting head on," he said.

As a suited Warrington took his seat, he presented Wood with a birthday cake and joked "there's no drugs in there" and then led a round of applause for his rival.

"There's mutual respect," added Warrington. "We don't have to be shouting and screaming or chucking tables at each other to have a barnstormer of a fight."

Such is the strong following from their respective cities, Warrington and Wood conducted the news conference in Leeds in the morning, before by heading to Nottingham, where they will take part in a question and answer session with fans.

Following his win over Lara at Manchester's AO Arena, Wood told promoter Hearn to make his "dream" come true with a fight at Nottingham Forest's City Ground.

However, with the football season in full flow and stadium fights in the winter months difficult to stage, Hearn revealed the proposal was overruled as the club's ground staff said "it would have ruined the pitch".

A suitable compromise was reached in the Sheffield venue, but Wood - who says he may only have two fights left before retirement - has not given up hope of a fairytale ending to his career.

"I'm extremely disappointed but I've put things in place," he added. "I told Eddie there was no way I'm signing this fight unless that clause was in there for my next fight.

"I'll never ever hang my gloves up until I've achieved that City ground fight."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/66361254

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

joe cordina needs to stop hiding & unify
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

floyd mayweather wants leigh to defend his belt against his seventeen year old prospect curmel moton, who is about to turn professional. floyd offering to put up all the money for both guys
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    floyd mayweather wants leigh to defend his belt against his seventeen year old prospect curmel moton, who is about to turn professional. floyd offering to put up all the money for both guys
    So Floyd’s boy hasn’t even turned pro and he wants to jump the queue to get get a shot at the title! Lovely
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think Wood is going to clean Josh up and send him on his way. Quality scrap potential before it's all over though.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Think Wood is going to clean Josh up and send him on his way. Quality scrap potential before it's all over though.
    I agree , Warrington is one of those light punching pressure fighters who durability at this point has waned due to many rounds fought and he will be brutally dispatched by any world class puncher he meets.
    Wood ko 6 .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    So Floyd’s boy hasn’t even turned pro and he wants to jump the queue to get get a shot at the title! Lovely
    Moton looks imposing
    Could he even fight for a title in his 1st pro fight?
    Mayweather Jnr. has the money to make it happen
    It won't but Mayweather is doing his job & getting his fighters name out there

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I agree , Warrington is one of those light punching pressure fighters who durability at this point has waned due to many rounds fought and he will be brutally dispatched by any world class puncher he meets.
    Wood ko 6 .
    Really does read that direction. Not enough said for Wood flipping the boxing buzz and "top power puncher" Lara on its head. Wood had a full gameplan executed even though Lara came in a fatty. It'll be exciting as long as it lasts no doubt.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

watch the weigh in live in about half an hour

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Warrington and Leigh Wood have made weight for their WBA featherweight title fight in Sheffield on Saturday night.

Wood, 35, defends his belt against two-time world champion Warrington.

The British rivals weighed in just below the 9st limit.

"This is a fight I've wanted for five years. Full circle, I am defending my world title against Josh in arguably the biggest British fight around," Wood said.

"It's going to be a special night."

WBA light-middleweight champion Terri Harper also made weight for her unified fight against Cecilia Braekhus.

Doncaster's Harper was 4lb below the limit at 10st 10lbs while Braekhus was heavier at 10st 13lbs.

Harper, 26, has the chance to add the WBO title to her collection as she faces a future hall of fame addition in Braekhus.

Norwegian fighter Braekhus, 42, is a former undisputed champion at welterweight and has only lost twice in 39 bouts.

In front of a packed Cutlers' Hall in Sheffield, Wood and Warrington looked weight-drained as they approached the scales.

Challenger Warrington, 32, wore a Leeds United scarf over his mouth with the words "and the new" emblazoned on it, and whipped up his supporters as they serenaded him.

Wood (27-3) also donned the colours of his favourite football team, Nottingham Forest, as he entered. While Warrington exuded energy on the scales, Wood cut a much more calm figure.

A friendly face-off ended in a handshake.

"We live for these moments," a pumped up Warrington said at the weigh-in.

"I've [won world titles] arguably against better fighters. So first time for Leigh really, taking him to somewhere he's not been before."

Warrington (31-2-1) is the underdog against Wood, despite being three years his junior, after a defeat in his last fight against Luis Alberto Lopez and a 10-month lay-off.

After two gruelling encounters with Mexico's Mauricio Lara, many feel Warrington is on the decline, but Wood dismissed that suggestion.

"People say he's on the slide - he's not. He's had a poor style match-up against Lara," he said.

"He's still dangerous. He's still ballsy. And this is his last shot. He needs to win this fight. He knows that."

Nottingham's Wood says he has been promised by Matchroom one more win will realise his dream of fighting at Nottingham Forest's City Ground.

This fight was originally pencilled in to happen at the football ground and Wood says Saturday night is the biggest bout of his career to date.

"I think it's going to be all-action," he said.

"I've been ringside for his last three fights and he's been caught big. Thrown back straight away.

"He's got a big heart, he's gutsy, ballsy. His mentality is a bit like me."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/67031409

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

three fights before the undercard starts. cameron vuong is worth a look

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want Wood to win but liking Warrington as he comes across well. Normally he acts a bit of a prat but this is his last chance at the big league.

Thread Information