Thread: Would 1986 Lloyd Honeyghan have beaten Mark Breland and Marlon Starling

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Would 1986 Lloyd Honeyghan have beaten Mark Breland and Marlon Starling

I really think Honeyghan in 86 would've beaten Starling and Breland (any version of either) I believe he is one of the greatest British fighters of all time, but I have never known a fighter to become so 'shot' so quickly. After the Vaca ight he was a shadow. His 'prime' literally only lasted a couple of fights and when he did fight Breland and Starling he was like a lamb to the slaughter. Not an excuse - Fact!

He destroyed p4p number 1 Curry (even ahead of Hagler on p4p in 86)
    Bumphus was world class 29-1
    Blocker was 24-0 and only lost once between 82 and 90 (to Honeyghan) beateing Starlon in process
    Hatcher only ever beaten on cuts taken out inside a round

Whadda reckon?

God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Would 1986 Lloyd Honeyghan have beaten Mark Breland and Marlon Starling

I do think that the prime Raggamuffin would have beaten a prime Breland. He was completely shot by that fight and it was horrible to watch. Lloyd came from the same area as half my family so he was a real hero to me (and I met him and he was fucking lovely in real life although I was hammered). The real Honeyghan would have walked through MB's punches and hammer the body for a mid round KO.

As for Starling, I'm not so sure. His counterpunching style may have always had Lloyds' number. On the other hand, Honeyghan prior to winning the title was a smarter boxer so maybe THAT version would have beaten him. After the Curry fight he turned into more fighter than boxer. Difficult to say. Marlon may have been Barkley to Lloyds Hearns...
    I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Would 1986 Lloyd Honeyghan have beaten Mark Breland and Marlon Starling

Quote Originally Posted by taansend
    I do think that the prime Raggamuffin would have beaten a prime Breland. He was completely shot by that fight and it was horrible to watch. Lloyd came from the same area as half my family so he was a real hero to me (and I met him and he was F****** lovely in real life although I was hammered). The real Honeyghan would have walked through MB's punches and hammer the body for a mid round KO.

As for Starling, I'm not so sure. His counterpunching style may have always had Lloyds' number. On the other hand, Honeyghan prior to winning the title was a smarter boxer so maybe THAT version would have beaten him. After the Curry fight he turned into more fighter than boxer. Difficult to say. Marlon may have been Barkley to Lloyds Hearns...
    CC mate - nice post

I just don't understand why Lloyd was shot so quickly, he hadn't been in many wars?
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers Mate, back at ya.

I think his style changed after the Curry fight. He was a smart pressure fighter before that and he just went a bit too much gung ho after reaching the Welter pinnacle.

It's happened to so many fighters, although on a more obvious level.

Tyson had a great jab and a beautiful work-in/walk-in combo (head-body-head) but after Spinks just went a-head hunting.

Prince Naz would work from the outside and use his speed to land punches from all angles, but after Robinson he tried to get a triple 20 with every dart!

Etc etc etc. It makes you realise how smart the great ones are....

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My best memory of him, was running across the ring to Tw4t Bumphus while he was still on his stool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H
    My best memory of him, was running across the ring to Tw4t Bumphus while he was still on his stool
    Yeah, Lou Duva went mental.

I reckon the Honeyghan that beat Curry would have beaten Breland but I agree Starling would have been a tricky one.

I bumped into him in a Sainsbury's car park in Wandsworth a few years back and he seemed a nice fella.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When honeygan beat curry he did so by outboxing him. Once he won the title he turned from stylish boxer to a brawler, this made him weak on defence. If he had stayed as a boxer instead of a brawler he could have beaten starling and breland on the same night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He would have beaten Breland easily but it's another story with Starling.
    I see it 50/50

ICB Guest

I really think Honeyghan in 86 would've beaten Starling and Breland (any version of either) I believe he is one of the greatest British fighters of all time, but I have never known a fighter to become so 'shot' so quickly. After the Vaca ight he was a shadow. His 'prime' literally only lasted a couple of fights and when he did fight Breland and Starling he was like a lamb to the slaughter. Not an excuse - Fact!

Blocker was 24-0 and only lost once between 82 and 90 (to Honeyghan) beateing Starlon in process

Whadda reckon?

Yes i think he would have even though Curry was weight drained Honeyghan was something else that night one of the best performances i've ever seen BIG H.

ICB Guest

Whadda reckon?

One other thing BIG H do you think that was one of the best ever performances from British fighter over someone rated as high as Curry ??

Arguement could be made for Turpin vs Robinson but what do you think ??

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

Whadda reckon?

One other thing BIG H do you think that was one of the best ever performances from British fighter over someone rated as high as Curry ??

I'd go with Honeyghan, because SRR was not in the later years of his best. I'd put Hatton v Tszyu and Benn v McClelland in the mix too

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honeyghan was lucky to have faced a weight drained Curry. If not he wouldn't have won. A well Curry would of destroyed Lloyd. Which is why Honeyghan refused to rematch Curry at 154.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

Whadda reckon?

I'd go with Honeyghan, because SRR was not in the later years of his best. I'd put Hatton v Tszyu and Benn v McClelland in the mix too
    I disagree with you about Robinson. He was in his prime when he fought Randy but he wasn't at his best as he'd been partying around Europe with his dwarfs.

When Turpin beat Sugar Ray he was fighting a guy who hadn't load in over 8 years and 90 fights. Later on he would go on to lose fights on a regular basis. The 1948 - 1952 Robinson was the greatest fighting machine ever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Honeyghan was lucky to have faced a weight drained Curry. If not he wouldn't have won. A well Curry would of destroyed Lloyd. Which is why Honeyghan refused to rematch Curry at 154.
    Yeah, you're right mate. And McCallum was lucky he fighting a 5' 10" Curry and not a 5' 11" Curry or Curry would have beaten him.

And Jacquot only beat Curry cos a man at ringside was wearing his beret at a jaunty angle and that distracted Don from the task at hand.

I'm sure you can think up excuses for all of Currys defeats, VD, but he got battered by the better man in AC in 86. The best Curry would never have beaten Honeyghan that night and no amount of whining from you will change that.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by taansend
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Yeah, you're right mate. And McCallum was lucky he fighting a 5' 10" Curry and not a 5' 11" Curry or Curry would have beaten him.

And Jacquot only beat Curry cos a man at ringside was wearing his beret at a jaunty angle and that distracted Don from the task at hand.

I'm sure you can think up excuses for all of Currys defeats, VD, but he got battered by the better man in AC in 86. The best Curry would never have beaten Honeyghan that night and no amount of whining from you will change that.
    Than why did Honeyghan refuse to rematch Curry at 154? There's no doubt a Curry rematch would of paid him more than what he got against Johnny Bumphus. But Honeyghan flat refused.

Thread Information