Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd wants to bring Canelo down to 147

Everything to do with weight classes is bull shit. Im sure Floyd would take this at 154 if the weigh in was the day of the fight. Having a 20-30 pound weight advantage in the ring defeats the purpose of guys fighting at the same weight.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Moving UP made history and was his cherry on top... Moving down to run tarver down to the wire was not.
    Still made history and added to roys legacy. Came from his mouth not mine. We all know what happened to roy after that but according to some people on here ruiz wasnt a proper heavyweight anyway.

Always an excuse.
    Do you even know what you're talking about? Do you have any idea how bad you're contradiction yourself? You say Alvarez should move up in weight. Cuz that's what champions do and will help his legacy. You use Roy Jones moving up in weight to fight Ruiz as an example. At the same time you're complaining that Mayweather shouldn't be expected to fight someone with a 30 pound advantage. Ruiz had a 33 pound advantage when he fought Jones. Are you saying Mayweather is not good enough to do what Jones was able to do?
    Vd, why not address the valid issues here instead of going round in circles?

Are we going to start comparing canelo with ruiz now?

You said that is floyd is now ducking canelo because of this weight issue but if this was manny in this situation no one would be complaining about it!

Whether we like it or not, floyd is the face of boxing and the best boxer of this era. Canelo could happily be starting the weight loss early to get used to it knowing this is his biggest payday of his entire career and the plus points of winning would be unbelievable!

Fitness gurus, trainers and nutritionists have got many a fighter at their chosen weight before and this situation is no different.

Stop jumping on the bandwagon and being quick to say floyds ducking like everyone else who hates him.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Moving UP made history and was his cherry on top... Moving down to run tarver down to the wire was not.
    Still made history and added to roys legacy. Came from his mouth not mine. We all know what happened to roy after that but according to some people on here ruiz wasnt a proper heavyweight anyway.

Always an excuse.
    Do you even know what you're talking about? Do you have any idea how bad you're contradiction yourself? You say Alvarez should move up in weight. Cuz that's what champions do and will help his legacy. You use Roy Jones moving up in weight to fight Ruiz as an example. At the same time you're complaining that Mayweather shouldn't be expected to fight someone with a 30 pound advantage. Ruiz had a 33 pound advantage when he fought Jones. Are you saying Mayweather is not good enough to do what Jones was able to do?

You said that is floyd is now ducking canelo because of this weight issue but if this was manny in this situation no one would be complaining about it!

Whether we like it or not, floyd is the face of boxing and the best boxer of this era. Canelo could happily be starting the weight loss early to get used to it knowing this is his biggest payday of his entire career and the plus points of winning would be unbelievable!

Fitness gurus, trainers and nutritionists have got many a fighter at their chosen weight before and this situation is no different.

Stop jumping on the bandwagon and being quick to say floyds ducking like everyone else who hates him.
    Enough with the hate Mayweather talk. Not only is it lame but it's nonsense. I've backed up Mayweather and made excuses for him plenty of times. Cuz I felt he was in the right. He's not in the right here. So I can not back him up. That's the difference between a boxing fan and a fighters groupie. I can criticize fighters who I consider to be favorites of mine. It's pretty obvious you can't.

You said lets get back to the valid issues. Fine. The valid issue is Alvarez can't make 147. It's that simple. No guru or trainer is gonna change that. Mayweather knows that. Him asking for something that's impossible to be met is his way of avoiding the fight. It should not be this hard to understand.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Always an excuse.

Enough with the hate Mayweather talk. Not only is it lame but it's nonsense. I've backed up Mayweather and made excuses for him plenty of times. Cuz I felt he was in the right. He's not in the right here. So I can not back him up. That's the difference between a boxing fan and a fighters groupie. I can criticize fighters who I consider to be favorites of mine. It's pretty obvious you can't.

You said lets get back to the valid issues. Fine. The valid issue is Alvarez can't make 147. It's that simple. No guru or trainer is gonna change that. Mayweather knows that. Him asking for something that's impossible to be met is his way of avoiding the fight. It should not be this hard to understand.
    Lol

Its not impossible. Bottom line is, everything does not revolve around canelo. If canelo wants the fight thats what he needs to do.

Loads of world class boxers and trainers are saying the same thing about why floyd should not step up and fight at a huge disadvantage in weight..but i suppose there groupies as well in your world.

Bradley imho deserves a shot at floyd at this stage but yet again thats another huge hurdle because of the bob arum/top rank situation.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People need to learn how to read between the lines. Mayweather wanting Alvarez to come down to 147 is code word for I don't wanna fight this kid. It's that simple. Alvarez hasn't fought at welterweight in over 3 years. He tried to make 147 for the Jose Cotto fight and failed. It's impossible for him to make 147 any more. His body won't let him. That's like asking Mayweather to make 140. It's not possible. Mayweather knows all this. Him asking for Alvarez to meet him at 147 is his way out of the fight. The only reason a fighter makes a demand that he already knows is impossible to ever be met is cuz he doesn't want the fight. Mayweather can spit all the nonsense he wants about he's number 1 and Alvarez needs to do this and needs to do that. That's fine. But bottom line is he's making a demand that not only does he already know is never gonna be accepted but is impossible to even be accepted.
    Floyd doesn't need to fight Canelo because he signed a contract with Showtime and he isn't required to fight at junior middleweight to make good on the contract. While the welterweight division is in a weak point in its history, that isn't Floyd's problem. He has a contract that gives him a number of fights at welterweight and there are numerous fighters from in and around that weight class that will never be able to build a Canelo-type fan base. To those fighters, a fight with Floyd is life-changing. Floyd can turn down the Canelo fight and still have a long list of welterweights to choose from. Floyd is about green; hence, the moniker "money." We can't forget that.

Of course, Floyd has fought at 154 twice and was successful both times. There is no doubt he can be successful at 154. But, if you were in his shoes, why would you? Less risk, and he can still make good money fighting the likes of Amir Khan.

In addition, there is no reason to criticize a boxer for moving up in weight if he can successfully make the weight class he is fighting in. Floyd shouldn't be criticized for not moving up in weight. Canelo shouldn't be criticized for not moving down in weight either. If Mayweather doesn't want to move in weight to face Canelo because he can make 147 easily, and if Canelo can't make 147, then so be it. Canelo seems comfortable at 154. He should clean out the division and build his own legacy there. There are plenty of credible fights at 154 for Canelo. He can have a money-making fight beating up Cotto. He can face the Angulo-Lara winner. There is Andrade on the way up. Kirkland.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 05-13-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    People need to learn how to read between the lines. Mayweather wanting Alvarez to come down to 147 is code word for I don't wanna fight this kid. It's that simple. Alvarez hasn't fought at welterweight in over 3 years. He tried to make 147 for the Jose Cotto fight and failed. It's impossible for him to make 147 any more. His body won't let him. That's like asking Mayweather to make 140. It's not possible. Mayweather knows all this. Him asking for Alvarez to meet him at 147 is his way out of the fight. The only reason a fighter makes a demand that he already knows is impossible to ever be met is cuz he doesn't want the fight. Mayweather can spit all the nonsense he wants about he's number 1 and Alvarez needs to do this and needs to do that. That's fine. But bottom line is he's making a demand that not only does he already know is never gonna be accepted but is impossible to even be accepted.
    Floyd doesn't need to fight Canelo because he signed a contract with Showtime and he isn't required to fight at junior middleweight to make good on the contract. While the welterweight division is in a weak point in its history, that isn't Floyd's problem. He has a contract that gives him a number of fights at welterweight and there are numerous fighters from in and around that weight class that will never be able to build a Canelo-type fan base. To those fighters, a fight with Floyd is life-changing. Floyd can turn down the Canelo fight and still have a long list of welterweights to choose from. Floyd is about green; hence, the moniker "money." We can't forget that.

Of course, Floyd has fought at 154 twice and was successful both times. There is no doubt he can be successful at 154. But, if you were in his shoes, why would you? Less risk, and he can still make good money fighting the likes of Amir Khan.

In addition, there is no reason to criticize a boxer for moving up in weight if he can successfully make the weight class he is fighting in. Floyd shouldn't be criticized for not moving up in weight. Canelo shouldn't be criticized for not moving down in weight either. If Mayweather doesn't want to move in weight to face Canelo because he can make 147 easily, and if Canelo can't make 147, then so be it. Canelo seems comfortable at 154. He should clean out the division and build his own legacy there. There are plenty of credible fights at 154 for Canelo. He can have a money-making fight beating up Cotto. He can face the Angulo-Lara winner. There is Andrade on the way up. Kirkland.
    Good words mr.rant.

I remember saying awhile ago about others building there rep and legacy in the game.
    Canelo can be a great, mexican legend...but just what would happen if he dropped down and beat floyd.

Its always easier going up in weight than down. Thats obvious.
    And if floyd is fighting in september during that mexican holiday period the most money he will make is probably from a canelo fight.

Shame they cant agree on a weight.
    Takes two to tango.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good words mr.rant.

I remember saying awhile ago about others building there rep and legacy in the game.
    Canelo can be a great, mexican legend...but just what would happen if he dropped down and beat floyd.

And if floyd is fighting in september during that mexican holiday period the most money he will make is probably from a canelo fight.

Takes two to tango.
    @imp - we may disagree on Floyd's legacy, but I always maintain Floyd is a great fighter.

Now, I will say that I prefer to see Floyd face Canelo at 154 than Amir Khan or Danny Garcia at 147. Same with Trout or Lara at 154. It's just I don't think Floyd should be criticized if he decides not to go that route. I also don't think wins over Khan or Garcia do that much for his legacy, whereas wins over Canelo/Trout/Lara would do more.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good words mr.rant.

Takes two to tango.
    @imp - we may disagree on Floyd's legacy, but I always maintain Floyd is a great fighter.

Now, I will say that I prefer to see Floyd face Canelo at 154 than Amir Khan or Danny Garcia at 147. Same with Trout or Lara at 154. It's just I don't think Floyd should be criticized if he decides not to go that route. I also don't think wins over Khan or Garcia do that much for his legacy, whereas wins over Canelo/Trout/Lara would do more.
    I dont know why i feel this way but theres something about khan that might strike lucky with floyd.

On paper, khan should get beaten by floyd but with those quick hands and boxing skills if khan keeps his distance it would be very interesting.

If devon looks impressive, it will be 100% his turn in september.
    Last edited by imp; 05-13-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What the hell are you talking about? Mayweather's contract does not limit him to only the welterweight division. His contract has nothing to do with him fighting Alvarez or not.

Mayweather not going to 154 to fight Alvarez makes him look like a pussy. He's pretty much letting everybody know he'll go to 154 to fight what's left of Miguel Cotto. But not Alvarez

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What the hell are you talking about? Mayweather's contract does not limit him to only the welterweight division. His contract has nothing to do with him fighting Alvarez or not.

Mayweather not going to 154 to fight Alvarez makes him look like a pussy. He's pretty much letting everybody know he'll go to 154 to fight what's left of Miguel Cotto. But not Alvarez
    Theres a difference fighting Cotto and Alvarez at 154. About a 20 pound difference

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good words mr.rant.

Takes two to tango.

I dont know why i feel this way but theres something about khan that might strike lucky with floyd.

On paper, khan should get beaten by floyd but with those quick hands and boxing skills if khan keeps his distance it would be very interesting.

First time hearing this on Spanish network. But another possibility could be Mayweather-Julio Diaz in September. You'll be alright with Mayweather-Diaz?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post

Theres a difference fighting Cotto and Alvarez at 154. About a 20 pound difference
    Bullshit. Both fighters will have to weight in at 154. It'll be 10 pounds at the most

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bullshit. Both fighters will have to weight in at 154. It'll be 10 pounds at the most
    Floyd will be 155ish in the ring. Alvarez will be over 170

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good words mr.rant.

Takes two to tango.

First time hearing this on Spanish network. But another possibility could be Mayweather-Julio Diaz in September. You'll be alright with Mayweather-Diaz?
    No.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd will be 155ish in the ring. Alvarez will be over 170
    Mayweather will not just put on 1 pound overnight. Either way Ortiz was 164 on fight night. And Cotto looked like he was close to 170. Nothing he ain't done before. Not only that but extra weight is not exactly an advantage for his opponent

Thread Information