Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are the Beatles overrated?

I just checked them out on YouTube as I'm not always au fait with up and coming new bands.

They all look very young, and it seems like simple stripped down music to me, lots of guitar and catchy choruses.

To be honest, I think they sound and look a bit like an Oasis tribute, so I'm not really sure they will last long.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Batman not a good argument. just bcuz someone does a cover song doesnt mean they were "influenced" by the artist. Big deal, a cover. Maybe the concert promoters said "do a few tunes from sgt pepper" which had just come out". So what. Maybe he just did it to please the crowd/sell tickets/....INfluenced my ass. Name any songs by Hendrix ----ANY---- which sound even remotely like he was influenced by the Beatles you mad balloon. Oh yeah maybe this one you moonbat:

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    @Batman not a good argument. just bcuz someone does a cover song doesnt mean they were "influenced" by the artist. Big deal, a cover. Maybe the concert promoters said "do a few tunes from sgt pepper" which had just come out". So what. Maybe he just did it to please the crowd/sell tickets/....INfluenced my ass. Name any songs by Hendrix ----ANY---- which sound even remotely like he was influenced by the Beatles you mad balloon. Oh yeah maybe this one you moonbat:
    “Jimi was a sweetie, a very nice guy. I remember him opening at the Saville on a Sunday night, 4th June 1967. Brian Epstein used to rent it when it was usually dark on the Sunday. Jimi opened, the curtains flew back and he came walking forward, playing 'Sgt. Pepper', and it had only been released on the Thursday so that was like the ultimate compliment. It's still obviously a shining memory for me, because I admired him so much anyway, he was so accomplished. To think that that album had meant so much to him as to actually do it by the Sunday night, three days after the release. He must have been so into it, because normally it might take a day for rehearsal and then you might wonder whether you'd put it in, but he just opened with it. It's a pretty major compliment in anyone's book. I put that down as one of the great honours of my career. I mean, I'm sure he wouldn't have thought of it as an honour, I'm sure he thought it was the other way round, but to me that was like a great boost.” – Paul McCartney.
    Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles and The Influence Of Sgt. Pepper's

The date is June 4, 1967. The place is the Saville Theater, in London. In the audience that night are Paul McCartney and George Harrison of The Beatles. This is what they saw....

https://youtu.be/HLEboBA-Xzk
    The video is Jimi Hendrix playing "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". That wouldn't be so unusual except The Beatles recording of the song had been released just three days before.

Hendrix had released "Are You Experienced" a few weeks earlier. His legendary performance at the Monterey Pop Festival was two weeks away. Although a lot of the public was not yet familiar with him, Hendrix was already getting a reputation as one of the greatest and most innovative guitarists in the world. And there was a developing mutual admiration between Jimi and The Beatles.Sgt. Pepper' audaciously saluted in 1967

Jimi Hendrix made a public display of his admiration for The Beatles when their seminal classic ’Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ was released during the ’Summer of Love’ in 1967.

Purchasing the record on the day of its release, he performed the title track just two days later at the Saville Theatre in London’s Shaftesbury Avenue.

Unbeknown to Hendrix, some of The Beatles were actually in the audience, listening intently to his audacious performance.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/music/jimi-h...7ZxJ82DA57j.99
    It wasn't the only Beatle tune in his catalog. He also did versions of "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Daytripper."
    wait...did you just call me a moonbat what the fuck is a moonbat

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

completely off the subject of influences, I have just stumbled across this, pretty interesting, nothing really new but still worth a listen

The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big deal he expressed admiration FFS. He wasn't influenced By JACK SHIT, PIXIES, OR MOONBATS

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Big deal he expressed admiration FFS. He wasn't influenced By JACK SHIT, PIXIES, OR MOONBATS
    *sigh* whatever you say Jack, your the master race

El Kabong Guest

Just because Mark TKO thinks Elvis was "overrated"

There's 4 Beatles but there's only 1 King baby and he had more talent in his little finger.....

than entire record labels have.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Elvis couldn't even write his own material. He was overrated. As a closer comparative Orbison was a better writer, singer and musician. Elvis was good looking, that was his simple schtick. Take away that and he was nobody.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Elvis did learn to become a good singer though, but really had to copy Orbison to do it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Someone should do a Beach Boys thread.
    I need a good laugh.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Elvis was a better actor than anyone of the Beatles. His films are classics.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the Rolling Stones are overrated. They have a few good songs, but they repeat the same tricks again and again and then wander off into that really mediocre country pastiche thing they did all too often. Quite boring. Mick Jagger is a terrible vocalist with some of the silliest front man moves. If you are going to do that then at least be for real and cut yourself up like Iggy used to do. Take it somewhere beyond vaudeville. People always go on about the Beatles and the Stones, but the Kinks were a much more talented group than the Stones IMO. They did vaudeville too, but Ray Davies wrote such exquisite songs with beautiful melodies. The Stones could write nicely crafted songs too like with Out of Time, but they all too often fell into dull repetitive dirges and bluesy meanderings. They mostly had nothing to say.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 08-16-2017 at 01:22 AM.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen the stones live several times. What a ficking great band.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Someone should do a Beach Boys thread.
    I need a good laugh.
    The Beach Boys were great, what's not to like? They relied heavily on The Kingston Trio and Chuck Berry but there's no denying their talent.

Three Dog Night also very underrated probably because they were so pop based, but 21 Top 40 hits between 1968 and 1975 is a very impressive feat.

Louis Jordan is underrated, Jerry Lee Lewis is amazing, Fats Domino amazing, there's talent galore from back in the day

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Monkees were better than the Beatles. They were very much underrated.

Thread Information