Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Little League World Series

Regardless of whether you're a baseball fan or not.... there is something riveting in watching a bunch of 12-13 year old kids playing such high-level baseball. Not to mention the beautiful setting of Williamsport, PA, where the final games are played. When you consider the glare of national TV, the large crowds in the stands, and the level of competition.... these kids do pretty damn good. And the coaches for the most part are pretty good at keeping it fun for the kids.

If only I could say the same thing for the umpires, though. Seems these guys were separated from their seeing-eye dogs to come umpire baseball games. I've seen some called strikes that would've caused a major leaguer to take a swing at the ump or destroy the dugout. But these kids are pretty well taught at how to hold their temper or not express their disappointment. Those that make it to the majors forget, I guess.

One thing I've never found quite fair, though. It's called Little League World Series..... AND they have teams from all over the world. But it's always the U.S. vs. some international team in the final game. The international teams all eliminate each other, while you're always guaranteed a U.S. team in the final. I know the U.S. is the home of Little League and all that... but it still seems a bit unfair to me.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Regardless of whether you're a baseball fan or not.... there is something riveting in watching a bunch of 12-13 year old kids playing such high-level baseball. Not to mention the beautiful setting of Williamsport, PA, where the final games are played. When you consider the glare of national TV, the large crowds in the stands, and the level of competition.... these kids do pretty damn good. And the coaches for the most part are pretty good at keeping it fun for the kids.

If only I could say the same thing for the umpires, though. Seems these guys were separated from their seeing-eye dogs to come umpire baseball games. I've seen some called strikes that would've caused a major leaguer to take a swing at the ump or destroy the dugout. But these kids are pretty well taught at how to hold their temper or not express their disappointment. Those that make it to the majors forget, I guess.

One thing I've never found quite fair, though. It's called Little League World Series..... AND they have teams from all over the world. But it's always the U.S. vs. some international team in the final game. The international teams all eliminate each other, while you're always guaranteed a U.S. team in the final. I know the U.S. is the home of Little League and all that... but it still seems a bit unfair to me.

Who was that pitcher years ago that was caught being a ringer He was like three years older than everyone else, latino kid.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Little League World Series

Almonte, Little League feel impact of scandal 10 years later - USATODAY.com

That would be Danny Almonte, from the Dominican Republic. He pitched for the New York Little League team until he got exposed for being 14 instead of 12 like they claimed he was. The kid was real good though, and would've probably performed well even at a real 12 years of age.

Watching some of the games currently being played, you see some 12-year olds that are like 6-foot, 200 pounds. Makes you wonder if size is sometimes a bigger advantage than age.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LLWS being played today..... Honolulu, Hawaii vs. South Korea.

I always enjoy watching these games. Great atmosphere...... fantastic skill set by these 12-year olds....... beautiful, crowded park...... and just generally a championship game atmosphere.

This year the team from Puerto Rico got pretty far, but was eliminated by Japan before Japan got eliminated by South Korea.

Good game so far.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry brother, can't stand baseball, thought you might get a kick out of this vid tho:

They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't watch Major League Baseball, but seeing these 12-year old turn double plays, making ESPN Top 10 plays routinely, and getting around on 95-mph equivalent fastballs is FUN for me.

BTW, good video. I'm gonna use it for some of my group chats. They better bring a shitload of money if they're gonna buy me out of my ocean-view house on Luquillo Beach.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have you heard what's going on in Jacksonville? Mass shooting at video game tournament.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, just spoke to a brother-in-law who lives there. Seems some kid lost in a Madden NFL tournament and didn't take it very well.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, just spoke to a brother-in-law who lives there. Seems some kid lost in a Madden NFL tournament and didn't take it very well.
    Yea great, now video games will get the blame.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

Metal detectors at future video game tournaments, I'm afraid.

Competitiveness is cool..... but blowing people away 'cause you lost is just a little over the edge.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Metal detectors at future video game tournaments, I'm afraid.

Competitiveness is cool..... but blowing people away 'cause you lost is just a little over the edge.
    Florida is becoming a real life GTA.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GTA?

BTW, Hawaii won 3-0. Only the 2nd time in the last 7 years the U.S. team has won the championship.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GTA?

BTW, Hawaii won 3-0. Only the 2nd time in the last 7 years the U.S. team has won the championship.
    That's a cool accomplishment, I agree with your thoughts about kids showing good sportsmanship but adults somehow abandoning it, money and power currupts I guess.

GTA is a game, grand theft auto.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GTA?

That's a cool accomplishment, I agree with your thoughts about kids showing good sportsmanship but adults somehow abandoning it, money and power currupts I guess.

GTA is a game, grand theft auto.

Man, I just a kick out of seeing these kids play like tiny major league players. Diving catches.... long home runs..... brilliant double plays..... performing under pressure in front of huge crowds..... heads up baseball in general.

Then, at the end of it all..... they're just 12-year olds hoping the adults take them out for some ice cream after the game.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bump.

Enjoying this year's LLWS action.

Last year they only had U.S. teams participating because of COVID. Good to see the International teams back at it again.

I still think the tournament is a bit unfair in that it's always the U.S. tournament on one side of the bracket, vs the International tournament on the other side. You're always assured a U.S. team in the Championship Game.

This year Hawaii has a humongously good team AGAIN. Just watched them blow out a team from Tennessee in 4 innings with the 10-run rule.

On the International side the survivors so far are: Mexico, Curacao, Nicaragua, and Chinese Taipei.

Some of these kids look like they'll be ready for the Major Leagues in just a few years.

Thread Information