82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd's resume.

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    The fact is he never fought Margarito
    Yeah, but you're implying that Floyd avoided him, when in reality Floyd turned down the date, not the fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the sake of the Thread.. Let's say everyone was at fault except for Mayweather on the opponents he hasn't faced... With that being said the end result is still the same... There are a lot of names that he never faced and when discussing an ATG, we have to look at the big picture. He most likely would've beaten them all, but it didn't happen that way. In his era, probably the best - But not for All Time. Too many question marks.
    You are the Creator of all that is, all that was, and all there ever will be.....

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cnote111 View Post
    There are a lot of names that he never faced and when discussing an ATG, we have to look at the big picture. He most likely would've beaten them all, but it didn't happen that way. In his era, probably the best - But not for All Time. Too many question marks.
    So what is the conclusion? Because he never fought Manny, 18 years of undefeated boxing including 16 years as a champ means nothing?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's pretty hypocritical to produce a list of 3-4 guys who Floyd never fought and say "look, he never fought these guys so there's too many question marks around his career to rank him".

Then, in the same breath, we bring up ye olde timers who fought in a time where we KNOW you didn't get your shot unless you agreed to play ball with the mob, we KNOW guys were discriminated against and missed their shots because of the colour of their skin, we KNOW that access to information was in the stone age compared to now so guys could easily be buried and never heard from if they weren't connected... and we talk like the old timers fought every threat they could have? If you believe that, you're living in a fantasy world and you don't know your boxing history.

Read Jake Lamotta's book. Read "Somebody Up There Likes Me" by Rocky Graziano. There was a PLETHORA of young, mean black fighters that nobody would touch - including connected black fighters like Sugar Ray Robinson.

Jake Lamotta himself said that a lot of these guys (some of whom Jake had to fight because he wouldn't play ball with the mob) would have handed the champions of the time their ass in the ring, but would never get the chance because they weren't connected and they weren't the right colour. For a guy who had been in the ring with the great SRR 6 times to say that, that carries some weight.

People don't want to hear shit like that thought. They want to put on their rose-coloured glasses and look back at the old days of boxing when men were men and they fought only the best competition, because they're undying love for boxing mandated that they never avoid anyone and never take an easy fight for the money.

It's pure idiocy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    The fact is he never fought Margarito
    Yeah, but you're implying that Floyd avoided him, when in reality Floyd turned down the date, not the fight.
    Read my post #79 on this thread I'm not implying Floyd avoided him it's just a fight I would have liked to see, just like Casamayor at 130, Tszyu at 140, Margarito, Williams or Cotto at 147

Floyd claims to be TBE fights against the likes of these guys could have proven that

He never cleaned out a division, never fought the best at 140 (Tszyu) HBO and Showtime were probably the main cause, but that hasn't affected other fighters from rival networks working something out he retired when there were challenges for him to face when he came back he didn't fight the best in his division (Pacquiao) or jump up 2 weights like Leonard did. Hell Robnson ought LaMotta weighing 144 pounds
    Cold Heart and a Weak Mind

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look the fact is he beat the top guys in 130 and 135 then at 147 he beat the top guys at the time. At 154 he beat Cotto, Ginger and Hoya top guys at that weight class one the mw champ now. When he came back he beat Jmm with ease same guy who went on to get robbed against pac then knock him out. Mayweather is atg not the greatest but a atg anyone who thinks others wise is a tool and knows nothing of boxing. You do not have to have him as the greatest but to say he is not a atg means you should pack your shit and look for a new sport to watch.
    Last edited by Mr140; 07-04-2014 at 01:09 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Look the fact is he beat the top guys in 130 and 135 then at 147 he beat the top guys at the time. At 154 he beat Cotto, Ginger and Hoya top guys at that weight class one the mw champ now. When he came back he beat Jmm with ease same guy who went on to get robbed against pac then knock him out. Mayweather is atg not the greatest but a atg anyone who thinks others wise is a tool and knows nothing of boxing. You do not have to have him as the greatest but to say he is not a atg means you should pack your shit and look for a new sport to watch.
    Mayweather is a Hall of famer not an all time great I struggle to see him breaking the top 25 if not 30

To resort to the old "you know nothing about boxing" is just sad and forums are meant for debating the sport right you have opinion, I have an opinion. But debate like an adult son

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly fell if you can not bring Mayweather into your top 30 then you boxing knowledge is lacking or you see old timers through rose tinted glasses. I am not a fan of Mayweather but he is best fighter of these decade been champ from 130 to 154 and was ring champ at 130, 135, 147, and 154. I mean do you not consider anyone from the past 15 or 20 years a atg i mean lets be real Mayweather has been the top guy for a while dude it is not really debatable. To be a champ for so long with out being defeated is task in it self i mean look at Pac he is a atg but lost big time and had bigger gifts in his career then Mayweather ever did. Tell me who on gods green earth do you consider atg from the past 20 years if not Mayweather. I not trying to be a dick i argue with beanflicker where he places him all the time but Mayweather is at least in the top 30 range i feel safe in saying that.
    Last edited by Mr140; 07-04-2014 at 03:43 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's two similar threads making the rounds: Floyd's resume, and Wlad's resume.
    If we took a poll of 1,000 people (excluding blind fanboys), I'd reckon there'd be at least 995 of them who would rather defend Floyd's resume. I'd be one of them.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by titofan View Post
    there's two similar threads making the rounds: Floyd's resume, and wlad's resume.
    If we took a poll of 1,000 people (excluding blind fanboys), i'd reckon there'd be at least 995 of them who would rather defend floyd's resume. I'd be one of them.

record
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather is a Hall of famer not an all time great I struggle to see him breaking the top 25 if not 30

To resort to the old "you know nothing about boxing" is just sad and forums are meant for debating the sport right you have opinion, I have an opinion. But debate like an adult son
    What do you mean? top 25 or 30 of all time? Surely that makes him an ATG then?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I consider Floyd one of the best 25 - 30 fighters ever. And as I've said throughout this thread he is a fantastic fighter who could have beaten almost everyone around his weight in this era I think he is a first ballot hall of famer I think he is among the best ever but not among the top 10 all time greats

Unfortunately for one reason or another he missed fighting some of the best fighters in his divisions at there best/ peaks

That is where the issue lies without fighting these guys there is no real proof what may have occurred no matter what we say we don't know for sure. Look at his struggle with Castillo, arguably a loss, he arguably could have been disqualified against Judah

I remember reading recently @cyclone talking up Russell like he was the next coming of Robinson and we all saw what happened there. That is why they say "they fight the fights"

Unlike Leonard and Hearns or Whitaker and Chavez Floyd failed to face to face Pacquiao when it mattered Not blaming either guy but others of the past have managed to get it done

I've mention the Wright fight falling apart at the last minute Floyd was going to move from 140 to 154 to face Wright who had just beaten Trinidad and would be coming down from 160 a move like that would have been amazing and something the Pretty Boy of 130 and 135 would have done

I had defended Mayweather's record after he moved from 135 for years but when he choose to retire instead of pushing to get the Cotto fight done and came back against a lightweight instead of facing the guy considered the best in the weight and the number one P4P I'd had enough

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What if Floyd faced Andrade, Lara if he beats Canelo, Cotto at MW, or Danny Garcia?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When did anyone here say he was top 10 i said he was a atg you said he was not atg now you are saying he is top 25 or 30. The highest i can give Mayweather is top 15 lost i can give is 30 i do not think anyone said he was top 10 in these thread. My number 10 is Leonard i don't see Pac or Mayweather going there or past him really. Reason being Leonard is just as skilled as Mayweather i think more offensivly skilled and better resume also Pac can't really touch Leonards resume either so thats what keeps them out of the top 10 for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When did anyone here say he was top 10 i said he was a atg you said he was not atg now you are saying he is top 25 or 30. The highest i can give Mayweather is top 15 lost i can give is 30 i do not think anyone said he was top 10 in these thread. My number 10 is Leonard i don't see Pac or Mayweather going there or past him really. Reason being Leonard is just as skilled as Mayweather i think more offensivly skilled and better resume also Pac can't really touch Leonards resume either so thats what keeps them out of the top 10 for me.
    I said he is one of the best ever (top 25 to 30) never said he was an all time great. I consider the all time greats those among the top 10 If your going to push it out further then where do you stop top 50? Top 100? top 1,000?

Thread Information