Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Burt Reynolds

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default R.I.P. Burt Reynolds

Burt was a hell of a guy. Great athlete played football at FSU, got to bang an in her prime Loni Anderson....hell of a dude

Godspeed Bandit!

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: R.I.P. Burt Reynolds

A star in smokey and the bandit and cannonball run. Rip legend.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rest in peace.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never forget my old man hiding us in the trunk covering us with blankets to see the first Smokey and the Bandit at a drive in . Crazy to think he was in his 40's there with huge career prior. Class actor and half the time it felt like he was just being himself on screen. Loved the Cannonball movies too.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Burt was the man. Deliverance is such a good movie, always makes me want to take a camping trip with miles

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow this came out of nowhere. Was totally amazed to find he was already 82 years old. R.I.P. to a very multifaceted actor.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Legend. RIP sir.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From USA Today decent editorial

The company's new tag line for Kaepernick is: "Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything."

By "sacrificing everything," evidently Nike means "make millions of dollars more a year to appear in an advertising campaign than you would make as a back-up quarterback in the NFL." Boy, has Kaepernick ever sacrificed!

According to Yahoo Sports, he gets his own branded shoe line, shirts, jerseys and specific Kaepernick apparel. He will be paid a comparable amount to the best NFL players signed to Nike deals, millions a year.

Whereas in the past Nike signed and paid the best athletes in their sports — Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Andre Agassi, Bo Jackson, Serena Williams — now the company is signing a former athlete who is infamous for his politics.

Nike uses politics as a selling point

In so doing Nike has made the decision to forswear athletic dominance and instead embrace politics as its new selling point. Nike, the same company dealing with a discrimination lawsuit, is now the latest company to get woke.

That's despite the fact that we've already seen that mixing politics and sports has had disastrous impacts for ESPN and NFL. Get woke and go broke, indeed. Now Nike wants a bite at the social justice warrior apple. Wall Street agrees this marketing decision is bad for business, as Nike's share took a dip in the stock market open this morning.

And to what end?

Related: Colin Kaepernick's new 'Just Do it' Nike ad puts pressure on NFL to take a stand

Does Nike really believe that every moment of every American's life must now be spent weighing politics? I don't want to enter a sports apparel store and have to pick a shoe brand for myself or my three young sons because of a company's politics. As a political moderate who voted for Gary Johnson in 2016, I don't want to have to place every company into Republican or Democratic buckets, and decide what to buy while analyzing these factors.

But that's what Nike's decision has forced me to do.

And as a result, I have bought my last Nike products for me and my boys.

I'm not supporting politics above sports

Nike may not miss the several hundred dollars a year my family spends on athletic apparel and shoes — and they may even feel like they'll make it up off other more woke purchasers — but I'm not going to support a company putting millions of dollars into Colin Kaepernick's pockets. I'm not going to support a sports company that puts politics above sports.

You can say this is petty of me, but I believe the best way I — and any other consumer — can respond to corporate speech I disagree with is by not purchasing that company's products any longer. I'm not going to march in the streets, burn Nike apparel I already own or spend hours advocating on social media for others to join my decision, I'm just going to do something simple: buy other brands like UnderArmour, Reebok, Adidas for my boys and myself.

More on politics and sports: I wore a 'Caucasians' shirt to expose the hypocrisy of racist logos

Evidently, I have an antiquated notion: I think every American company should try to serve every consumer regardless of that person's race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexuality or political persuasion.

What I love about sports is when your team scores you high five the fans around you rooting for the same team, regardless of what differences you might otherwise have outside the stadium or arena. Sports is a uniting force, not a divisive one — the place where all Americans come together on fields and courts united in equality. Sports represents the best of America, the ultimate meritocracy. The winner is the best man or woman, not the loudest protester.

As I write in my upcoming book, Michael Jordan was right when he reportedly said: "Republicans buy sneakers, too." Jordan understood it was his sporting excellence that united the country, not his opinion on Roe v. Wade, gay marriage or guns.

Once upon a time, Nike knew this too.

Now, unfortunately, Nike has made the decision that politics matters more than sports.

And in so doing, they have lost a long-time customer, a kid who used to save up all his money for the latest Air Jordans, potentially forever.

Sorry lost the article, posted the whole thing a bit long
    Last edited by walrus; 09-07-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not only that..... but Colin is suing the NFL owners.

Having said that....... wrong thread.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Oh shit sorry tits wrong thread, no disrespect to burt, @Master get off your ass and move my post. Do something for once

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Oh shit sorry tits wrong thread, no disrespect to burt, @Master get off your ass and move my post. Do something for once
    I am leaving it to highlight your stupidity on this forum.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bert Reynolds 82 years had a pretty good life had his demons good actor RIP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was he a serious actor or comedian? I remember one movie he was trying to swim to shore, begs God to help him, even makes a promise. By the time he got to shore, he cut his promise in half. Anyhoo, he seemed kinda funny.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He could do both. That's why I called him multifaceted.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anchorman films are clearly based on him and his friends in smokey and the bandit.

Thread Information