Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Can GGG get any better?

Unless you're last name is hopkins Father Time affects all of us.

Is there any part of GGG game that you think he can improve on (head movement etc) to make him an even better fighter at this stage?

How long can he leave it before he moves up in weight? Or does he even need to if he will make so much money with the Canelo rematch?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin is slowing down and not as effective cutting down the ring.

He really is Hagler now some young active boxer will beat him in the very near future.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can GGG get any better?

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

He really is Hagler now some young active boxer will beat him in the very near future.
    A young active fighter beat him
    Last night in a very close fight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

A young active fighter beat him
    Last night in a very close fight.
    No Canelo did not. Ironically Saul tried to do what Leonard did against Hagler which was to steal rounds with eye catching punches but really Golovkin was doing the effective work and landing the better point scoring punches.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Golovkins output was better than against Jacobs this time out and to be fair he outlanded Canelo in all but one round and landed over 50 more blows. The only weakness really was that he started very tense. I am not sold on a rematch, but if it was to happen in the next 6 months I see it going the same way, but maybe a little more urgency from Golovkin. He knows Canelo fights only in spurts and knows his style now. I liked how GGG took most of Canelo's shots on the arms too. A tighter defence than we have seen recently. It took a few rounds to figure it out, but Golovkin is the one who made the adjustments and showed the better ring IQ. However, in saying that Golovkin has a style that won't last another half decade. He has 3 fights left and should make them count. That is one reason I am not sure he really owes Canelo a rematch. Jacobs sure, but this wasn't that close.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I thought Golovkins output was better than against Jacobs this time out and to be fair he outlanded Canelo in all but one round and landed over 50 more blows. The only weakness really was that he started very tense. I am not sold on a rematch, but if it was to happen in the next 6 months I see it going the same way, but maybe a little more urgency from Golovkin. He knows Canelo fights only in spurts and knows his style now. I liked how GGG took most of Canelo's shots on the arms too. A tighter defence than we have seen recently. It took a few rounds to figure it out, but Golovkin is the one who made the adjustments and showed the better ring IQ. However, in saying that Golovkin has a style that won't last another half decade. He has 3 fights left and should make them count. That is one reason I am not sure he really owes Canelo a rematch. Jacobs sure, but this wasn't that close.
    Well wrote. Few appreciate the subtle technical skills Golovkin has, he made Canelo gas out and stay on the ropes. Golovkin just outpointed him from there.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo had to fight GGG that way and no one should be surprised he was on his bike picking his moments.

GGG could get better in the rematch by perhaps going to the body early?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's been given two gifts in a row now. He lost last night and he probably lost against Jacobs (the only two good fighters he's fought) it's no surprise he wouldn't go up to 168 and fight Ward.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he should have invested in the body. I also think he was wary of doing it because of Canelo's handspeed and ability to counter. Think he realises now that Canelo is there to the body and he did start doing it more in the second half, but it would have been better to start faster and invest in that early on.

It's scary to think that on the 3 cards overall Canelo won more rounds. It has no connection with reality and suggests the rematch clause was there to be taken up no matter what. DLH was moaning like mad about the Mayweather fight, but Golden Boy/Canelo's cards are just as much a stain on the sport.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GaMo View Post
    He's been given two gifts in a row now. He lost last night and he probably lost against Jacobs (the only two good fighters he's fought) it's no surprise he wouldn't go up to 168 and fight Ward.
    I can't bash GGG as he has dominated the division.

He beat Jacobs in my eyes and lost
    7-5 last night against Canelo.

In the rematch, I see GGG being even hungrier for the win but it must take place ASAP considering the age factor.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All Canelo needs to do is be more active. GGG will only get older and Alvarez will only get better. The rematch will be easily won by Canelo as we saw the best of GGG last night and it was not impressive.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GaMo View Post
    All Canelo needs to do is be more active. GGG will only get older and Alvarez will only get better. The rematch will be easily won by Canelo as we saw the best of GGG last night and it was not impressive.
    Yes that is all he has to do because he was blowing out of his ass and could not take the consistent pressure from GGG. How is he going to be able to do it the second time.

I bet Canelo will try and wait until GGG is older and wait another 18 months to get the rematch on.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will be the first to call Canelo a bitch if the rematch with GGG is not his next fight.

I'm still quite shocked that the majority had GGG winning a very close fight.

That Margarito type zombie plodding forward is nothing if you miss the majority of your power shots and get countered..Canelo was silky, smooth in some parts of the fight!

Can GGG get any better?...let's talk about the trainer Abel Sanchez and see if he is even capable of improving on GGGs flaws..

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will be the first to call Canelo a bitch if the rematch with GGG is not his next fight.

That Margarito type zombie plodding forward is nothing if you miss the majority of your power shots and get countered..Canelo was silky, smooth in some parts of the fight!

Can GGG get any better?...let's talk about the trainer Abel Sanchez and see if he is even capable of improving on GGGs flaws..
    Margarito type plodding? Are you serious? He is older so many things he once did great have been reduced a bit but GGG still did some things technically great. Margarito just came forward and looked for the KO and didn't worry about being hit. GGG purposely pushed him to the ropes and avoided exchanges to avoid the counters so that he could just win rounds.

And it doesn't matter if you miss a ton of punches if you are still landing more than your opponent. I don't like compubox but for the sake of argument I'll use it. Essentially they landed the same amount of power punches. GGG landed quite a few more jabs. GGG threw way more power punches. That means that although Canelo had a better connect percentage, GGG was busier and dictated the pace of the fight. He forced Canelo to back up and rely solely on counter punching because GGG was too active.

I understand that sometimes your scorecard is the outlier (it has happened to me on a few occasions), but trying to defend your position by calling GGG a margarito type fighter is insane.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You and me are the only ones who aren't queuing up to suck off GGG. @Master thinks that plodding and missing style is the most exciting thing he's ever seen inside of a boxing ring. Being an accurate puncher and a responsible defender doesn't mean much here it seems. Guys like Floyd get trashed while bums like Lemieux get praised

Thread Information