Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

From the bestselling horror author of Within These Walls and The Bird Eater comes a brand-new novel of terror that follows a teenager determined to break from his family’s unconventional—and deeply disturbing—traditions.

Deep in the heart of Appalachia stands a crooked farmhouse miles from any road. The Morrows keep to themselves, and it’s served them well so far. When girls go missing off the side of the highway, the cops don’t knock on their door. Which is a good thing, seeing as to what’s buried in the Morrows’ backyard.

But nineteen-year-old Michael Morrow isn’t like the rest of his family. He doesn’t take pleasure in the screams that echo through the trees. Michael pines for normalcy, and he’s sure that someday he’ll see the world beyond West Virginia. When he meets Alice, a pretty girl working at a record shop in the small nearby town of Dahlia, he’s immediately smitten. For a moment, he nearly forgets about the monster he’s become. But his brother, Rebel, is all too eager to remind Michael of his place…
    The two main characters are Michael who is an unwilling participant in the brutal kidnap and murder of countless young women and his brother Reb who is his twisted manipulating older brother (the rest of the family aren't much better)

When Michael meets Alice there is an instant attraction between them both, although Michael is cripplingly shy and constantly worries that he is going to reveal his families secret Alice takes a shine to him regardless, it is around this point that Reb's behaviour starts to change, he is becoming more and more unhinged and Michael knows that just by merely talking to Alice he is putting her life in danger because Reb is getting to be so unpredictable, the last thing Michael wants is for Reb to roll up to their home with Alice in the trunk but that is becoming a distinct possibility, Michael needs to escape before things go too far.

When I first started reading the first thought that came to mind was Texas Chainsaw Massacre but as the book progresses it loses that raw outback feel and almost morphs into something entirely different that I couldn't put my finger on, I still can't now.

The best character was Misty Day, she's Michael's younger sister and the only 'innocent' one in the family, she is the one that I really felt for whilst I was reading, she had a child like quality about her and she seemed to shut all of the evil around her out by living inside her head in her own little safe space.

The big plot twist was telegraphed though, it was obvious what was going on at an early stage, that isn't to say that it wasn't well done or that it was poor, I just think that there wasn't really any other route for the book to go down.

'In one moment, every drop of blood in my body was brought to a stop... There, as if it had that moment sprung out of the earth, stood the figure of a solitary Woman, dressed from head to foot in white'

The Woman in White famously opens with Walter Hartright's eerie encounter on a moonlit London road. Engaged as a drawing master to the beautiful Laura Fairlie, Walter becomes embroiled in the sinister intrigues of Sir Percival Glyde and his 'charming' friend Count Fosco, who has a taste for white mice, vanilla bonbons, and poison. Pursuing questions of identity and insanity along the paths and corridors of English country houses and the madhouse, The Woman in White is the first and most influential of the Victorian genre that combined Gothic horror with psychological realism.

Matthew Sweet's introduction explores the phenomenon of Victorian 'sensation' fiction, and discusses Wilkie Collins's biographical and societal influences. Included in this edition are appendices on theatrical adaptations of the novel and its serialisation history.
    So this was apparently the first ever real mystery novel, I love books from this era (1859) and whilst old Wilkie loves his words they are put together fantastically well and when I was in the mood for it I couldn't help but find myself completely taken in by the book, when I wasn't in the mood for it I couldn't help but find myself looking for an excuse to look at my phone after every page or two.

All in all I really enjoyed it and I will most likely revisit it again at some point in the future.

Right now though I've gone for an old classic (seeing as its Halloween I thought I should dig one of my old favourites out)

The shocking true story of an American dream that turned into a nightmare beyond imagining...

In December 1975, the Lutz family moved into their new home on suburban Long Island. George and Kathleen Lutz knew that one year earlier, Ronald DeFeo had murdered his parents, brothers, and sisters in the house, but the property - complete with boathouse and swimming pool - and the price had been too good to pass up. Twenty-eight days later, the entire Lutz family fled in terror...

This is the spellbinding, bestselling true story that gripped the nation - the story of a house possessed by spirits, haunted by psychic phenomena too terrible to describe.
    I actually have the bus ticket still in there from when I first read it, 2nd December 2010

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd Patterson: the Fighting Life of Boxings Invisible Champion by WK Stratton

It's a good read and I've learned a good bit about Floyd's relationship with Cus and what happened behind the scenes. Only thing I don't like about the book is that it's heavily implied that Marciano retired to avoid fighting Patterson, which is pretty laughable lmao

Other than that, just finishing it up, it's been a good read

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post

It's a good read and I've learned a good bit about Floyd's relationship with Cus and what happened behind the scenes. Only thing I don't like about the book is that it's heavily implied that Marciano retired to avoid fighting Patterson, which is pretty laughable lmao

No way Rocky retires to avoid any Floyd. Nino Valdez was supposed to be June 1956 and then he would have dispatched Floyd The Really Youngun' in late September 1956 and retired 51-0 with 44 KO's.

Don't think he could've knocked out the 6' 3" 220 pound Valdez, but think he'd have fucking ***SPARKED*** Patterson with body shots, not in 1 like Liston but in 4 or 5.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post

No way Rocky retires to avoid any Floyd. Nino Valdez was supposed to be June 1956 and then he would have dispatched Floyd The Really Youngun' in late September 1956 and retired 51-0 with 44 KO's.

Don't think he could've knocked out the 6' 3" 220 pound Valdez, but think he'd have fucking ***SPARKED*** Patterson with body shots, not in 1 like Liston but in 4 or 5.
    He's knocked out bigger guys than Valdez, and it's hard to see anybody from that time period going the full fifteen with Marciano.

But yeah Patterson would have been fucked lmao

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A Short History of the Wars of the Roses by David Grummitt

It's nicely written and covers all the important facts about the Wars of the Roses without going into great detail.

El Kabong Guest

@Batman .....you don't work in Antarctica do you?

Antarctica scientist stabbed colleague for spoiling book endings
    https://nypost.com/2018/10/30/antarc...ndings-report/
    This is the coldest case ever.

In the first attempted murder ever on the frozen continent of Antarctica, a Russian scientist reportedly snapped and allegedly tried to stab a colleague to death because the victim kept giving away the endings of books.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    @Batman .....you don't work in Antarctica do you?

Antarctica scientist stabbed colleague for spoiling book endings
    https://nypost.com/2018/10/30/antarc...ndings-report/
    This is the coldest case ever.

In the first attempted murder ever on the frozen continent of Antarctica, a Russian scientist reportedly snapped and allegedly tried to stab a colleague to death because the victim kept giving away the endings of books.

Ha none of the fuckers I work with read books, they ask me what I'm reading I start telling them and within about 20 seconds they have lost interest and I can tell they ain't interested

Джем Мейс Guest

White Nights - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Considering I have been quoting and giving stats from it - The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray - was a recently read book. I urge everyone who cares about the future of their nations to read it. American, British, Australian, whoever. It was very well received and gives you all the context and data you need regarding the mess that is immigration today.

All you need to do is bring out the numbers and data and no Cultural Marxist can respond as Murray himself states: 'None of the facts in this book were able to be refuted and nobody of any consequence has even tried to contest or deny them.' Strong words indeed.

For instance in Lower Saxony in Germany 90% of the rise in violent crime was down to young male migrants. Rather than live in denial arm yourself with the facts and take on liars and cowards. They cannot refute the truth because they are ideologues and the public mostly disagrees with them. Thus when a local German representative tells Germans if they don't like it they should 'leave Germany' then there are likely to be consequences.

Knowledge is power. Arm yourself with knowledge. Spread that knowledge.

El Kabong Guest

@Batman 'Brother' sounds a bit like 'The Road Out of Hell: Sanford Clark and the True Story of the Wineville Murders' to me, but I guess the whole deal was Sanford Clark wasn't a willing participant AT ALL in those murders. Gruesome book by the way.

I need to start up a new book, only trouble for me is finding the time to read it.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well now that I've decided to sack Red Dead Redemption off for a bit I've got back into my reading, I'll update the last few books I've read later.

I saw my mate yesterday though and he got me this to say thanks for being best man at his wedding the other month

The Fall of the House of Usher (1839)
    Edgar Allan Poe

The Yellow Wallpaper (1892)
    Charlotte Perkins

Gilman Count Magnus (1904)
    M. R. James

The White People (1904)
    Arthur Machen

Ancient Lights (1912)
    Algernon Blackwood

The Music of Erich Zann (1922)
    H. P. Lovecraft

Smoke Ghost (1941)
    Fritz Leiber

Brenda (1954)
    Margaret St Clair

The Bus (1965)
    Shirley Jackson

Again (1981)
    Ramsey Campbell

Vastarien (1987)
    Thomas Ligotti

Call Home (1991)
    Dennis Etchison

1408 (2002)
    Stephen King

Flowers of the Sea (2011)
    Reggie Oliver

Hippocampus (2015)
    Adam Nevill
    Some of my favourite authors are in there, Thomas Ligotti, Stephen King, Shirley Jackson, Poe, Lovecraft, M.R. James, all brilliant so I'm looking to getting stuck into a few of these.

The book itself is proper nice as well, I might have to take a look at these Folio books and see what else they do.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As I said I've been off the boil for a while so I haven't read all that much in the last month or so

Something Evil is Inside Cassie Stevens.

For fans of The Exorcist and Stephen King comes a terrifying new tale of supernatural horror.

Cassie Stevens was 16 years old the night she died. When she’s revived 20 minutes later, unsettling changes begin to occur. They’re in the shadow she sees from the corner of her eye, and the face in reflections, and the whispers in her mind… and awaking at night to the cold unseen presence of something in her room…

But the changes aren’t just around her – they’re inside her.

Something ominous followed Cassie back from beyond death. Something infinite in hatred and horror. And it won’t stop till she’s dead.
    Well that bit in bold is certainly is a pretty bold statement, and it is definitely an ambitious book it doesn't live up to that tag line though.

I’ll be honest I came into it expecting/wanting a straight up old fashioned exorcism, this manages to stay away from the well-trodden path of generic exorcism and possession, It did run into a few problems though, it was almost as if it didn’t know what it wanted to be, it kind of morphed into a weird rampant demon possession come ghost story, by the end I wasn’t sure which one was going to take centre stage (well the title of the book kind of gave that away but you get what I mean)

Some of the writing grated on me a little, ending almost every chapter with ‘everything was fine again…for now’ or ‘for the first time in months, the nightmares had stopped….or had they’ how’s about ‘Cassie is going to have toast for breakfast….or will she’

It got a bit tiresome having things telegraphed like that constantly.

Having said that it was an enjoyable read, it was nice and quick to get through, whilst there weren’t any genuine scares for me I think I’ve been desensitised to this sort of thing now.

I would have liked to have seen more of the demon and had it explained a little more, I quite enjoy reading dialogue including the actual demon but that was lacking here, it also seemed to lack any specific sort of identity, we don’t know who the demon was, how powerful is it, what is its name, what is its origin etc, other books tend to cover this side of things off (albeit it briefly in some instances)

I’d say this was either a high 3/5 or a low 4/5

An ambitious book that could have been improved on.

Everything you need to know about modern physics, the universe and our place in the world in seven enlightening lessons

'Here, on the edge of what we know, in contact with the ocean of the unknown, shines the mystery and the beauty of the world. And it's breathtaking'

These seven short lessons guide us, with simplicity and clarity, through the scientific revolution that shook physics in the twentieth century and still continues to shake us today. In this mind-bending introduction to modern physics, Carlo Rovelli explains Einstein's theory of general relativity, quantum mechanics, black holes, the complex architecture of the universe, elementary particles, gravity, and the nature of the mind. Not since Richard Feynman's celebrated Six Easy Pieces has physics been so vividly, intelligently and entertainingly revealed.
    Not much to say on this one, the title says it all, seven brief lessons on physics, I've read a few books on this stuff before but this was a nice little refresher

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brother and sister Roderick and Pamela Fitzgerald flee their busy London lives for the beautiful but stormy Devon coastline. They are drawn to the suspiciously inexpensive Cliff End, feared amongst locals as a place of disturbance and ill omen.

Gradually, the Fitzgeralds learn of the mysterious deaths of Mary Meredith and another strange young woman. Together, they must unravel the mystery of Cliff End’s uncanny past – and keep the troubled young Stella, who was raised in the house as a baby, from returning to the nursery where something waits to tuck her in at night ...

The second in Tramp's Recovered Voices series, this strange, bone-chilling story was first published in 1942, and was adapted for the screen as one of Hollywood’s most successful ghost stories, The Uninvited, in 1944.
    I was pretty gutted about this book, I'd reached the point of the year where I'd hit the wall with my reading and needed a bit of a break from it, unfortunately I was about half way through this when that happened.

I'd been waiting absolutely ages to get hold of it but for some reason it was always about £40 on Amazon, then I had a look and it was there for a tenner, right from the get go though I was struggling with it, the writing just seemed confused and befuddled, I tried to get back into it after a little break but couldn't, I reckon if I re-read it again in the future I'll really enjoy it but for now it is one of the few books that I quit before the end.

An investigative criminologist, Christopher Berry-Dee is a man who talks to serial killers. In this book, their pursuit of horror and violence is described in their own words, transcribed from audio and videotape interviews conducted deep inside some of the toughest prisons in the world. Berry-Dee describes the circumstances of his meetings with some of the world's most evil men, and reproduces their very words as they describe their crimes and discuss their remorse—or lack of it. This work offers a penetrating insight into the workings of the criminal mind.
    Talking with Serial Killers? I take issue with the title after reading the book, it is more like a chronological breakdown of their crimes rather than actual interviews, now don't get me wrong you can tell that an awful lot of work went into the book but it certainly isn't 'talking' with the serial killers.

Some of the cases were really interesting, being a horror buff I really enjoyed the Ronny DeFeo Jr chapter, I didn't realise just how messed up that case was, not just the murders but the whole investigation, the corruption that was involved etc, again whilst it wasn't an interview it was a compelling read and it has gave me a good few cases to look into in more detail.

One thing that I will praise is that the author certainly didn't pull any punches when describing the crimes, it was pretty damn gruesome in fact, I like that, I read these books because I want to set it down and just think 'Jesus Christ, what did I just read' and he certainly managed to get me to do that once or twice.

The cons are pretty huge though, again I will say it (for the third or fourth time) this isn't talking with serial killers, it is just a breakdown of their cases, a lot of that info may have come from the killers themselves but it doesn't come across like that when reading the book.

The spelling and grammar mistakes were horrendous as well, I can normally overlook them but in this instance they were jarring and it was hard to just skip over them without grinding my teeth slightly.

I often find with books like these that the authors quite enjoy self praise 'this murder would still be unsolved had it not been for me' is a sentence that crops up several times throughout the book, it didn't overly bother me but it was still worth a mention.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stephen king sucks. I just finished reading Our man in Havana, which is terrific. Considering it was written so soon before the Cuban missle crisis, it’s quite prophetic to boot.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Stephen king sucks.
    He's not perfect by any stretch, I've often found that he just doesn't know how to finish a book.

IT is the perfect example of that, The Stand, The Shining, Carrie, Pet Sematary, Salems Lot and many others are really good though.

I've not read all of his books but a fair few of the main ones, like I say he's not perfect but he has done some good stuff.

Thread Information