Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The incredible thing that we don't talk about when it comes to George Foreman

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The incredible thing that we don't talk about when it comes to George Foreman

i think that its easy to forget (or maybe you just dont know) how inexperienced he was as a fighter and how quickly he rose the ranks despite his lack of experience. he started boxing at the age of 17. that is pretty old. he won the state golden gloves and national golden gloves title a year after he started boxing. that is very impressive. then less than 3 years after he started boxing, he won the olympics. that is a very impressive feat. he used his sheer athleticism and strength to win.

he then started fighting professionally at the age of 20 (remember that he only started boxing at age 17). then he got to 37-0 with 34 KO's by the age of 24 and 3 1/2 years of professional experience before facing frazier. frazier was a force to be reckoned with and was expected to destroy foreman. obviously foreman easily won the fight. imagine that though. after 3 1/2 years, most people are still very protected. and that is also understanding his short amateur career. most people who move fast in the professionals had an extended amateur career.

lets look at wlad right now. he fought a high ranking HW in chris byrd after 4 years (safe fight but high ranking) but had an amateur record of 134-6 compared to foremans 22-4. that is 114 less fights. what foreman did would have been equivalent to wlad facing lewis at that time instead of byrd which everybody would have thought that wlad was too green to win. i would agree with that (although i would agree that wlad would never beat lewis but thats beside the point).

anyways, i just wanted to write how fast foreman went to through the rankings. no wonder he was so out of control early in his career. he never got the chance to really slow down and work on basics. it was basically throw punches and knock people out. and since he was winning, he just kept doing it and didnt develop a lot of basic boxing skill until after his first retirement.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    i think that its easy to forget (or maybe you just dont know) how inexperienced he was as a fighter and how quickly he rose the ranks despite his lack of experience. he started boxing at the age of 17. that is pretty old. he won the state golden gloves and national golden gloves title a year after he started boxing. that is very impressive. then less than 3 years after he started boxing, he won the olympics. that is a very impressive feat. he used his sheer athleticism and strength to win.

he then started fighting professionally at the age of 20 (remember that he only started boxing at age 17). then he got to 37-0 with 34 KO's by the age of 24 and 3 1/2 years of professional experience before facing frazier. frazier was a force to be reckoned with and was expected to destroy foreman. obviously foreman easily won the fight. imagine that though. after 3 1/2 years, most people are still very protected. and that is also understanding his short amateur career. most people who move fast in the professionals had an extended amateur career.

lets look at wlad right now. he fought a high ranking HW in chris byrd after 4 years (safe fight but high ranking) but had an amateur record of 134-6 compared to foremans 22-4. that is 114 less fights. what foreman did would have been equivalent to wlad facing lewis at that time instead of byrd which everybody would have thought that wlad was too green to win. i would agree with that (although i would agree that wlad would never beat lewis but thats beside the point).

anyways, i just wanted to write how fast foreman went to through the rankings. no wonder he was so out of control early in his career. he never got the chance to really slow down and work on basics. it was basically throw punches and knock people out. and since he was winning, he just kept doing it and didnt develop a lot of basic boxing skill until after his first retirement.
    Excellent post. Big G is my 2nd fave. Rocco you know is my fave and similarly he started fighting at age 23!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The incredible thing that we don't talk about when it comes to George Foreman

In 3.5 years Mike Tyson wiped out a division. He turned pro in March 85. Beat Berbick for the WBC in November 86! Then went on to unify and beat everyone else including Holmes and Spinks by June 88. Thats fast progression!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The incredible thing that we don't talk about when it comes to George Foreman

Solid post. What George did during his first career was impressive, without a doubt. One of the most menacing champions to ever set foot in the ring. He then had one of the greatest transformations ever and came back decades later to make history becoming the oldest ever to win the the lineal championship.

A quick question though: Do you think that could ever be accomplished at any other weight class? Someone with so little amateur background winning a lineal title and destroying an ATG in the process? I can see it in the cruiserweights and maybe light heavy, but not below. To me it illustrates how much tougher the competition is at the middle to lighter weights. Don't want to take anything away from George though...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's more amazing is the fact that Foreman was an olympic gold medalist with a 22-4 amateur record. WTF

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George had to get through some pretty damn good American Amateurs to win a berth on
    the 1968 United States Olympic Boxing Team.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post

he then started fighting professionally at the age of 20 (remember that he only started boxing at age 17). then he got to 37-0 with 34 KO's by the age of 24 and 3 1/2 years of professional experience beifore facing frazier. frazier was a force to be reckoned with and was expected to destroy foreman. obviously foreman easily won the fight. imagine that though. after 3 1/2 years, most people are still very protected. and that is also understanding his short amateur career. most people who move fast in the professionals had an extended amateur career.

Solid post. What George did during his first career was impressive, without a doubt. One of the most menacing champions to ever set foot in the ring. He then had one of the greatest transformations ever and came back decades later to make history becoming the oldest ever to win the the lineal championship.

A quick question though: Do you think that could ever be accomplished at any other weight class? Someone with so little amateur background winning a lineal title and destroying an ATG in the process? I can see it in the cruiserweights and maybe light heavy, but not below. To me it illustrates how much tougher the competition is at the middle to lighter weights. Don't want to take anything away from George though...
    It's difficult to compare weight classes. The 70's had some solid fighters. He beat a few really good fighters and a few pretty good ones. I think the hard thing about smaller weight classes is the speed. He didn't have to worry about people boxing circles around him so you could say that it's easier as a HW to move up more quickly since its easier to rely on power.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Group of United States Amateurs that were competing against George.

* Forest Ward ~ {1967 National AAU and 1967 Pan Am Games Champion}
    * Chuck Haynes
    * Jimmy Lee Clark
    * Clay Hodges ~ {1966 and 1967 National Golden Gloves Champion}
    * Frank Bellony
    * Jeff Merritt
    * Albert Milne
    * Frank Steele
    * Bunky Akins
    * Frank Schram
    * Mike Boswell
    * Terry Daniels
    * Curtis Whitehead
    * Sylvester Dulaire
    * Bill Henry
    * Fred Grogan
    * Thomas Gamble
    * Henry Crump
    * Formus White
    * Ken Norton
    * James Howard ~ {1966 National AAU Champion}
    * Albert Wilson ~ {1968 National Golden Gloves Champion}
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-29-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    In 3.5 years Mike Tyson wiped out a division. He turned pro in March 85. Beat Berbick for the WBC in November 86! Then went on to unify and beat everyone else including Holmes and Spinks by June 88. Thats fast progression!
    Another impressive fact is how many prime, HOF fighters Mike beat. The weight class was STACKED. Look at the names on his resume: Berbick, Tubbs, Page, Bruno, Marvis Frazier, Tucker and Tyrell Biggs. Talk about a murderers row!!!

Sorry Ross, I couldn't resist. The post is talking about GEORGE FOREMAN's accomplishments, which have absolutely nothing to do with Mike. It's funny that u r so desperate for concurrence on ur admiration for Mike that u constantly have to try and tout his accomplishments. Try to stay on message or at least tie ur post to the original discussion.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I did not know that about young George and his lack of boxing experience, it certainly resulted in his first loss to Ali. I think the older George Foreman has said that he would have paced himself and not exposed his naivety against Ali had he had the experience he gained in his second comeback.

I also think it is a fair point from @milkeeod that the quality of skill if better in the lower weights.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another impressive fact is how many prime, HOF fighters Mike beat. The weight class was STACKED. Look at the names on his resume: Berbick, Tubbs, Page, Bruno, Marvis Frazier, Tucker and Tyrell Biggs. Talk about a murderers row!!!

Sorry Ross, I couldn't resist. The post is talking about GEORGE FOREMAN's accomplishments, which have absolutely nothing to do with Mike. It's funny that u r so desperate for concurrence on ur admiration for Mike that u constantly have to try and tout his accomplishments. Try to stay on message or at least tie ur post to the original discussion.
    Im pointing out that George isn't the only fighter to have a rapid career rise. He only made two defences of the title as well.

Boxing's quickest World Champions | Boxing News

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to say that this is up there with my favorite threads on this forum.

Excellent work my friend.

I wasn't aware of how fast he rose through the ranks, so the educational value to me here is pretty high.

Big George is one fighter I obviously know a lot about professionally, but I haven't studied him the way I studied Ali, Fraizer, Holmes, Shavers, Moore or any other fighters from back then.

Excellent. +1
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im pointing out that George isn't the only fighter to have a rapid career rise. He only made two defences of the title as well.

Tyson had an EXTENSIVE amateur career and didn't make the Olympic team. George, as was pointed out, started late and went on to, in a ridiculously short amount of time, win Olympic Gold and the heavyweight championship, beating an ATG in the process. It would be equally pointless for me to day that Evander Holyfield won a cruiser weight title in 15 fights, unified and cleaned out cruiser, and went on to beat....

It doesn't belong in this thread. Evander had an extensive amateur career and was an Olympic bronze medalist. What George did is unheard of, coming from the streets and with little time to learn his trade, win the most prestigious championship in the world (not a title, but the one and only championship at that weight at that time). Just tell the OP good job.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hahaha. I missed the silly comment at the end, about Foreman only defending twice. Yeah, what kind of bum loses to Ali?!? Much more impressive to get outboxed and knocked out by James Douglas. What did Ali ever do that was so great?!?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A remarkable fighter.

He only had 'one' bad fight in his 1st Career, and no controversial wins.

How many boxers can say that.

Thread Information