Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Chris Eubank Jr

In response to questions of a couple of posts in another thread, I thought I'd post this up about Chris Jr. Most of you have probably heard vague things about him in the national press as I had, but know little about if he's any good or if like many other sons of former champs he's just playing at his Dad's business.

Last month, at a big Am-Box event called the Haringey Box Cup, I got to see him live over a few days & I have to say I think he's a bit special. He's got a fantastic poise in the ring, there are very definite shades of his old man, but I think he looks a lot more fluid.

I'll give you the background that I've picked up. Over here, he's boxed for Brighton & Hove ABC, but he's also done a fair bit out in the States under the tutelage of Floyd Sr. His record stands at only 25 fights, of which he has won 23. His first loss came in his tenth amateur fight in the National Golden Gloves against the top guy in the US at the weight & eventual champ (all subjective as I've heard this 2nd hand). He had already won the Nevada Golden Gloves though. He then came back over here & boxed a bit, getting to the ABA quarter finals before losing, but all wins from there. He's been sparring a lot of pros, reportedly gave George Groves THAT black eye in prep for DeGale & really has a pro style.

Anyway, the Box Cup requires that to win you have to fight 3 times in the space of four days. He won the quarter against Robert Garvey from nearby gym Earlsfield extremely easily (especially given comparative experience), but he didn't look to have too much power as Robert had been a LMW as recent as the ABAs & I've seen him look to be hurt worse on club shows.

Next up he faced a guy who's boxes for the Swiss National Team & here I do have a video. He looked very good here to my eyes & made a guy who has competed to a very high level look really bad, but there were still some doubters at the Box Cup. Anyway make up your own minds, he's in the blue headguard & all-black strip.

Next he faced Gilson De Jesus, a very strong dude from Nottingham in the final. This guy had scored a pair of brutal 1st round 1 punch KOs on his way to the final, so there was some anticipation he might struggle here, hence the big crowd around the ring (there were another 2 fights going on simultaneously as well) including me leaning into view like a numpty. Completely dominates him & I think this performance is what swung all the doubters. Again in all black, but this time in the red headguard.

I really like how he's so relaxed & composed & particularly how he never lets any opponent take the initiative. If they land a shot he comes back with 3 or 4 of his own. He's very good at judging distance & this is probably why he battered these guys without ever needing to get out of 2nd gear. I also do like his attitude in the ring, which you might not get from these. There's a lot less of wanting to touch gloves & he comes across as a real callous bastard

It's very rare that I'd say a 25 bout amateur is ready to go pro, but I'm of the belief that he might well end up a fantastic talent, so I might as well get first shout just so I can say 'I told you so' further down the line. Or you can all laugh at me when he gets stopped by Carl Dilks. One or the other

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Chris Eubank Jr

Thanks for posting this Jaz.

My humble opinion -
    I watched both fights. I think there is a lot to like about him.
    He has poise, good handspeed, has good angles.
    He looks mean too! As you say there are definantly shades of his Dad (especially in that sidestep...pause...corkscrew uppercut).

To think he has only had 20 odd AM fights is very impressive. He handled that guy in the final really well and gave him a proper going over in the last round.

It seems unfair to point out weaknesses at this stage because its totally expected. But things to work on would be his jab - use it more and with more authority. He also moves in with hands low at times or leaps in throwing hooks leaving him open to all sorts, especially straight right - Just needs to learn to work in (having said that he didn't exactly get caught loads in either fight). As I say not criticisms just observations. Overall, I would think he looks a really good prospect even if he'd had 50 fights, so for him to have had only 25 is something.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hes got alot live up to if your comparing him to his dad, he was one the greats! Be gud to see more of jr and how his career goes?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wonder if his old man gives him fashion tips..................lets hope not eh.

Looks promising and a real chip off the old block.
    24 Beers in a slab, 24 hours in the day.......go figure.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He looks to have his dads swagger/confidence. I heard he's already signed to go pro with Matchroom (Eddie/Barry Hearn) who obviously guided his dad throughout his pomp.

I reckon a couple of years from now they'll be plenty of threads about him
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post
    Thanks for posting this Jaz.

My humble opinion -
    I watched both fights. I think there is a lot to like about him.
    He has poise, good handspeed, has good angles.
    He looks mean too! As you say there are definantly shades of his Dad (especially in that sidestep...pause...corkscrew uppercut).

To think he has only had 20 odd AM fights is very impressive. He handled that guy in the final really well and gave him a proper going over in the last round.

It seems unfair to point out weaknesses at this stage because its totally expected. But things to work on would be his jab - use it more and with more authority. He also moves in with hands low at times or leaps in throwing hooks leaving him open to all sorts, especially straight right - Just needs to learn to work in (having said that he didn't exactly get caught loads in either fight). As I say not criticisms just observations. Overall, I would think he looks a really good prospect even if he'd had 50 fights, so for him to have had only 25 is something.
    I've no issue with the low left hand. He looks to have the kind of speed to get away with it & what impressed me in this tournament was how he performed better in each fight. I do agree, he has a tendency to jump in a bit, however I've got to be honest, I thought that the kind of guy it could cost him against was a hard hitter like the guy in the final. I definitely agree about the jab, he doesn't use it enough for me, but then again one of the things I most like is his unorthodox punch selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    He looks to have his dads swagger/confidence. I heard he's already signed to go pro with Matchroom (Eddie/Barry Hearn) who obviously guided his dad throughout his pomp.

I reckon a couple of years from now they'll be plenty of threads about him
    Apparently the Matchroom thing isn't as cast-iron, as both Frank Warren & Golden Boy are very keen on him as well. I think the likelihood is he will still go with Matchroom, but they've delayed it, weighing up the options or so I hear.

I'm surprised none of the usual anti-Brit brigade have piled in to complain about us hyping people up & how he's a bum just like his dad

I would say there will be plenty of threads about him in a few years, but most likely we'll be over-run with threads about leading Iowa club fighters of the 1910s & how much better they were than shitty modern boxers

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amateurs and pros might as well be 2 different sports. It's so different now a days. I'll withhold judgment on him till he turns pro

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Amateurs and pros might as well be 2 different sports. It's so different now a days. I'll withhold judgment on him till he turns pro
    Top amateurs still become top pros though.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Top amateurs still become top pros though.
    You can also tell hes been sparring with pros and being trained by pro trainers. He will do well as long as he has the desire to work for it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did you watch the vids? He's got a real pro style already, there's no shoeshining punches there. I also agree with Fenster, it is the amateurs that are making the top pros.

I mean I'd like to know any top fighters from the past decade or so who haven't been at least good amateurs. Aside from those who've bypassed the ams like Alvarez, the only guy I know of is Paul Williams, who had a record of like 8-13 as an am.

Thread Information