Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Studying pro tapes..

Hey all, first time poster here.

I am fairly new to the boxing scene, got into it as a fan seriously about two years ago. Anyways, I have decided that I want to start training and sparring the sport finally. I have been on a pretty good diet/workout regiment for some time now in preperation. I will be starting in the gym next week.

My main question is, is studying one type of fighter and his style going to benefit me in any way? I know my trainer will most likely teach me a certain style, even if i prefer the style of a different boxer.

How much can I learn from watching my favorite fighters in their best fights and what should I be looking for most? Who are some of the best boxers that fight a traditional technical style? For instance, as an amateur am I better off shadowing a Hatton, De La Hoya or a Winky Wright?

Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Studying pro tapes..

good question,im amazed at how some boxing people can read fighters looking at tapes,knowing what theyre doing to set up certain shots etc(stand up greynotsoold).this i presume comes from years of boxing experience but it can be explained to novices.if your trainer is any use hell put you on the right track,or you can go thru greys old posts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bhar
    Hey all, first time poster here.

I am fairly new to the boxing scene, got into it as a fan seriously about two years ago. Anyways, I have decided that I want to start training and sparring the sport finally. I have been on a pretty good diet/workout regiment for some time now in preperation. I will be starting in the gym next week.

My main question is, is studying one type of fighter and his style going to benefit me in any way? I know my trainer will most likely teach me a certain style, even if i prefer the style of a different boxer.

How much can I learn from watching my favorite fighters in their best fights and what should I be looking for most? Who are some of the best boxers that fight a traditional technical style? For instance, as an amateur am I better off shadowing a Hatton, De La Hoya or a Winky Wright?

Thanks guys!
    your trainer will teach you the fundementals ..the same fundementals Winky ,ODLH,hatton all learned when they were in the beginning stages ...fro9m these fundementals after you spar and then have a few fights your style will evolve...maybe you hit hard maybe not ...maybe you have long arms for your size ..maybe you can stay calm and relaxed in the ring ..or maybe you can maintain a frantic pace for a whole fight ...some people have faster reflexes than others ..anyway styles come naturally ...also you will inevitably find out what style makes you win rounds and maybe not get tagged too much ...EVERYONE is different so dont go molding yor self after other fighters yet ..but watch the things fighters do right and take somthin from that ...

dont forget also ,so many skills your body isnt used to yet like head movement ...your not going to get your head timing down till you work on the double end bag a while ...and if you have people to spar with you can play around with boxing different way when you spar ....so right now you hsould just sit back and relax because NOthing is expected of you yet

and when your trainer yells at you for dropping your hands lol ...and you think of all the many great fighters who did well w/ there hands low ...they learned how to kep there hands up 1st ...and kept it as secon nature when they get hurt ...if u skip a step and always box w/ ur hands down your gonna be F**ked so what ever you do ..DO what ur trainer says outside of the ring an experinemnt on your own Inside teh ring and youll find your mojo and someday evrything will click

ps ..try to spar as much as possible ...dont treat it like a fight think of it as just getting the work in and investing your time on experience..gyms with people to spar with will make you so much better because u can get the equivilent experience as much as 20 amature matches just through sparring 2- 3 times a week

also i would recomend at this early stage in your boxing that u watch fighters like Felix Trinidad and morales vs barrerra ...fighters who arent very unorthadox for now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A great way to get hyped for a fight is to watch a great one, or just watch Tyson that always gets me in the mood.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think watching vids of them fighters metioned when they were amatuers is better like the tapes of dlh at the olimpics and tht as what works for pros doesnt always work in amatuers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well i honestly think watching tapes are essential to the development of any fighter. for one they bascially plug boxing directly into your brain by way of seeing how things happen in the ring, what fighters tend to do, what fighters tend to excel at, and when (and how) they make mistakes. this sort of thing is invaluble; learning the logistics of boxing, as often and as much as you can.

if i may be allowed to give a little promoting here (my check arrived in the mail) go back and read grey's posts on the matter of boxing. nobody has the logistics of boxing down quite as well or presents them in an understandable manner. i myself try but i go off on a bunch of theory type stuff. check his forum out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great, thanks for everyone's opinions. I guess I will take it one step at a time and learn the basics and the best possible type of boxing for me. Thanks again.

Thread Information