Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Does Fedor Emelianenko need to finish his career in the UFC?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Does Fedor Emelianenko need to finish his career in the UFC?

Does Fedor Emelianenko need to finish his career in the UFC to be considered ultimately the greatest heavyweight ever?

One of three wars with Big Nog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4MrzCkuKq0
    Big Nog & Fedor do battle

It would appear the root of the reason why Emelianenko has not fought in the UFC is because of conflicting differences between UFC President Dana White and Fedor's manager and management team Vadim Finkelstein, and M-1 Global. White has given the perspective of Vadim being completely in control of Fedor's career. Finkelstein seems to feel that White is not offering the right money and contract offerings that satisfy his wishes for his fighter. Fedor seems to put 100% trust in his managers abilities and sticks to fighting. Perhaps White has met his match with Finkelstein and will be forced to relent his normally relentless business savvy to land the great heavyweight before the window of opportunity elapses.

I think Fedor needs the UFC and the UFC needs Fedor and thus both sides will eventually agree to terms. I just hope it happens while he is still on top of his game.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by DMan37; 02-25-2009 at 12:57 AM.
    Never forget our brothers that have fallen - Remember Gerald McClellan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does Fedor Emelianenko need to finish his career in the UFC?

Sorry guys. There was additional text to this thread that for some reason would not print out.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No...Wins over Big Nog, Mirko, Arlovksi, Hunt, Sylvia, Coleman, Randleman etc put him well ahead of anyone's resume. Its not just the wins but the manner with which he did them that make him great. With a win over Barnett the guy has beaten just about every meaningful HW of the last several years. If Velasquez/DeSantos/Carwin end up dominating the UFC HW picture then I could see it being a question that hangs over his legacy but right now a fight with Couture means nothing, Lesnar is still just a freak show and I'm pretty sure he'd crush Mir.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds View Post
    No...Wins over Big Nog, Mirko, Arlovksi, Hunt, Sylvia, Coleman, Randleman etc put him well ahead of anyone's resume. Its not just the wins but the manner with which he did them that make him great. With a win over Barnett the guy has beaten just about every meaningful HW of the last several years. If Velasquez/DeSantos/Carwin end up dominating the UFC HW picture then I could see it being a question that hangs over his legacy but right now a fight with Couture means nothing, Lesnar is still just a freak show and I'm pretty sure he'd crush Mir.
    I agree with you in terms of talent. He is "hands down" the best out there right now. But in terms of actually conquering the UFC in reality? I think it must be done to cement his legacy and take away the naysayers that will say he never did it in the cages of the UFC. The UFC is the big dance of MMA.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As far as HWs go Pride had a lot more esteem. He owned it. To the casual fan who sees MMA as UFC your sentiment may be true but to people that have been following for years conquering the UFC would be another feather in an already heavy cap. Honestly with wins over Sylvia/Arlovski/Big Nog he has wins over 3 of the last 4 UFC HW champs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For all realistic purposes though Arlovski and Sylvia's best days were behind them by the time they met Fedor. And Big Nog took him to the brink all 3 times they went. No dominating wins there for Fedor over Big Nog.

I'm certainly not taking anything away from the guy. I just think he will need to make the move to gain the notoriety needed to be considered the best ever. I am too a long time MMA fan. I think he needs the UFC. I think he is Top 5 all time without them and could be best ever with them.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I disagree about Sylvia and Arlovski being past it. Sylvia had recently been beating the crap out of Big Nog before he got subbed and Arlovski had impressively KOd both Rothwell and Nelson and was looking good before he got iced. I'd love to see Fedor in the UFC but the guy could quit right now and be the best HW and maybe mixed martial artist ever. I think even if Affliction doesn't go under they are going to have a hard time finding opponents. They need him on almost every card against meaningful opponents to stay viable. They could bring in Khartinov for a good HW fight and maybe Couture after his contract is up but they are quickly running out of good matchups. I think eventually he makes the move on his own. He recently lost in the Sambo championship for the first time in years so maybe his interest in it is waining and he wouldn't have a problem signing an exclusive contract. All that being said the UFC needs Fedor to legitamize their HW div more than he needs their org to legitamize his claim to being the best HW and possibly P4P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Clearly we disagree. I agree that the UFC needs Fedor. But I believe Fedor needs the UFC also for his legacy.

To make a football analogy: A CFL great cannot go down in the NFL HOF without ever playing a down in the league. UFC is the premiere MMA dance. He needs to dominate there before he retires.

If he doesn't, sure their will be those that still rank him #1. But the doubts will linger....

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok lets just that tomorrow Fedor was in the UFC. You've got the Couture fight which isn't that meaningful after Lesnar destroyed him. 2-3 years ago this is a huge fight. You 've got Lesanar which to me is a joke. The guy has what 4 fights and he is going to go against the most dominant HW ever? Fedor fighting Mir to me just isn't that exciting. You've got Carwin/Cain/DeSantos and maybe Gonzaga. If one of these guys were to emerge as the top then you have a legit title fight. Honestly the best fights out there for Fedor in the UFC would be some dream fights with top LHWs or Anderson Silva.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rarely do "on paper" predictions jive with "reality" outcomes of matches in both boxing and MMA.

Fedor most likely would just walk through the UFC competition. But we won't know unless he actually steps in a UFC cage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would argue the UFC needs Fedor more than Fedor needs the UFC. Fans, UFC fighters, and even Dana White know Fedor is the best fighter in the world. It has always been a thorn in White's ego to know that the best fighter in the world isn't working for his company. White is a shady business man and an egomaniac...and i have tremendous respect for Fedor (as do other fans and even fighters) for not selling himself short by signing for White. Now, things can certainly change in the future...but Fedor's resume as it stands now is by far the best of any heavyweight or for that matter any weight...in or out of the UFC. Some people will argue that UFC is the gold standard in mma because of it's popularity...but again, it about quality of opposition. And Fedor has fought and beat the best competition...regardless of affiliation. But we are supposed to be fooled to believe that someone like Brock Lesnar is the ultimate test because he beat a past prime Couture? So as far as i'm concerned...the UFC needs Fedor if it wants to have legitimacy for having the best fighter in the world.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there are only 5 fights left that make any sense whatsoever for fedor

1 - barnett, its the one fight leftover from PRIDE that everyone has been waiting for for years, and its his next match

2 - overeem, overeem roided the fuck up or something and has been taking over in japan lately

3 - lesnar, most high profile fight out there

4 - couture, not really important but it would be funny to see couture get dominated after all the drama he caused over this

5 - ishii, more of a less competitive NYE kind of fight that would be a huge draw in japan, it would be a good last fight for fedor to retire after, like a ceremonial final win

mir is a jabrone and king mo is far too new at this point

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SalTheButcher View Post
    there are only 5 fights left that make any sense whatsoever for fedor

1 - barnett, its the one fight leftover from PRIDE that everyone has been waiting for for years, and its his next match

2 - overeem, overeem roided the fuck up or something and has been taking over in japan lately

3 - lesnar, most high profile fight out there

4 - couture, not really important but it would be funny to see couture get dominated after all the drama he caused over this

5 - ishii, more of a less competitive NYE kind of fight that would be a huge draw in japan, it would be a good last fight for fedor to retire after, like a ceremonial final win

mir is a jabrone and king mo is far too new at this point
    These fights are effectively interesting. Nevertheless, I don't think they are necessary to cement Fedor's legacy. I don't think of any other heavyweights that have a resume as complete as Fedor, against the bests of his era and still be undefeated after so many fights (ok one defeat but it was a freak accident and not a lost in itself). His legacy will be in jeopardy the day other heavyweights will have beaten as many "great ones" as him without having any defeats for at least, let's say... around 18 fights. Till then, he has very little remaining to prove.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Thread Information