Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tyson vs. Holyfield (The 2 fights)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tyson vs. Holyfield (The 2 fights)

Guys, having only been here a few months I've never discussed this with anyone because it was (shockingly) a good 11 years ago now since their last fight.

Last night I watched the 2nd fight again, and felt that after watching it, Holyfield delibrately headbutted Tyson in the lead to the cut. The way he leaned in did not seem like he was looking for a left hook. He didn't need to lean his head in that far. While I'm not excusing the actions of Tyson following this, do you guys feel Holyfield was completely innocent in what happened?

My mind is still undecided. I have often felt that Holyfield paints a picture of himself as somebody who'd never break the rules but on occasion, I can't help thinking that some of this could be bullshit.

Tell me what you think anyway, because I'm interested to hear what people thought about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tyson vs. Holyfield (The 2 fights)

Holyfield is notorious for using his head. I heard an announcer joke once that there should be a glove on holyfield's head.

He butted Tyson the first fight as well.

It was definitely not innocent. He knew what he was doing. I honestly think it was part of his gameplan before the fight to head butt tyson.

Tyson was a prime target because at that stage in his career he would just try to rush inside. Holyfield would plant his feet and put his head down. He was using his head from the opening bell..he knew what he was doing.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I enjoyed the first fight alot. I was actually pulling for Tyson. I've never really liked Holyfield (although I wanted him to beat Bpwe). I respected his skill and believe he's a great fighter, but I can't stand his religious bollocks that he claims to stand up for and then blatently cheats. I don't believe that he's never taken steroids either.

(I'm not bashing religion here, I'm just saying that he claims to be a man of truth and he's not.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn
    I enjoyed the first fight alot. I was actually pulling for Tyson. I've never really liked Holyfield (although I wanted him to beat Bpwe). I respected his skill and believe he's a great fighter, but I can't stand his religious bollocks that he claims to stand up for and then blatently cheats. I don't believe that he's never taken steroids either.

(I'm not bashing religion here, I'm just saying that he claims to be a man of truth and he's not.)
    Nah man,
    I'm actively involved in the Christian Church. Not judging nothing but yeah I have to admit, he seemed to just knock his head against Tyson's in those tieups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holy did use his head a lot, maybe not deliberately ramming it against an opponen, but he certainly wouldn't avoid a clash and was good at getting his head down so he wouldn't be worse off. A lot of fighters are guilty of roughhouse tactics, I suppose it's just part of the game as long as you don't go to far.

As for Tyson, he was partial to rocking people with his elbows when in close, so he certainly shouldn't complain. He landed his best shots against Holyfield in the second fight, when he figured he couldn't win he looked for a way out of the beating he was about to take.

ICB Guest

Holyfield used his head but Tyson wasn't innocent either he was doing his share of fouling and has been known to elbow opponents in the past Tyson bit him to get out of the 2nd fight and in first fight he got whooped nothing really else to say that both men wern't in there prime they were ok fights but i didn't think the fights were great there was alot of clinching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield has perfected the art of headbutting. You can watch every fight that he's ever been in since hitting the big screen, and he is doing it. It's actually more intentional than it looks. I'm sure he has worked on his technique just as he has worked on punches and footwork. Even earlier Cruiserweight fights. If you actually look at what he's doing with his head while he comes forward to the inside, he's always dropping it, and ramming it straight into his opponents face. Very slick.

Thread Information