Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Preparing fighters for retirement

As part of a response to another poll concering the seemingly now cancelled Camacho fight, I made a point about boxing not being the place for a seniors tour.

What do you think can and should be done to protect fighters from exposing themselves to needless comebacks.

I know years ago Barry McGuigan was trying to sign up fighters to pension schemes and educating them on how to manage funds.

Should there be a compulsory pension scheme, should there simply be better control by the governing bodies with an outside source regulating them to make sure they do not allow someone to box on when obviously past it.

Any thoughts, I just find it sad to see guys come back for a few grand due to being broke or simply wanting that last taste of glory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool Re: Preparing fighters for retirement

i want to see hatton retire, too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Preparing fighters for retirement

Quote Originally Posted by britsday View Post
    i want to see hatton retire, too...

Sorry maybe it's just me but the relevance to the thread is.............??

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Preparing fighters for retirement

Quote Originally Posted by jamiebhoy View Post
    As part of a response to another poll concering the seemingly now cancelled Camacho fight, I made a point about boxing not being the place for a seniors tour.

What do you think can and should be done to protect fighters from exposing themselves to needless comebacks.

I know years ago Barry McGuigan was trying to sign up fighters to pension schemes and educating them on how to manage funds.

Should there be a compulsory pension scheme, should there simply be better control by the governing bodies with an outside source regulating them to make sure they do not allow someone to box on when obviously past it.

Any thoughts, I just find it sad to see guys come back for a few grand due to being broke or simply wanting that last taste of glory.
    One of the biggest problems is the apathy of the fighters themselves. I have trried to push this for years even to the point of developing a model plan (based on a n annuity concept), but I have given up. If the fighters don't want it, it becomes an intrusive endeavor and that's not for me. But yes!!! They should have one and yes!!, they should have a union which is one way they can get one. The State of California has a plan, albeit a parsimonious one, but it could well be the model for other states to build on. Good question, mate.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Thread Information