Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: NASCAR driver involved in fatal incident at dirt track in NY... plans to race today.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default NASCAR driver involved in fatal incident at dirt track in NY... plans to race today.

Police: Tony Stewart struck, killed driver with sprint car; driver identified as 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. | FOX Sports

I'm not a NASCAR by any stretch of the imagination. But this has been all over the news this morning.

The facts:

NASCAR driver Tony Stewart was involved in a fatal incident last night at a NY dirt track race, in which his car struck and killed a fellow driver who had walked out onto the track after spinning out following contact with Stewart's car. It appears Kevin Ward Jr. was angry over the spinout, and walked onto the track, pointing at approaching cars. It was Stewart's car that struck and killed him.

A tragedy for sure, but....

Couldn't any confrontation have waited until AFTER the race was over? Heat of the moment be damned. You don't walk onto oncoming traffic to confront someone as race cars are whizzing by. (Track was poorly lit, also).

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: NASCAR driver involved in fatal incident at dirt track in NY... plans to race tod

Read about this, but I honestly couldn't care less. Anyone who competes in that "sport" kind of has it coming if you ask me. The only reason anyone watches is in hopes of seeing a wreck. Must be a very charming man to have no qualms with racing the day after you run somebody over though

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: NASCAR driver involved in fatal incident at dirt track in NY... plans to race tod

Stewart has since had a change of heart and will not race. No doubt he was advised that this would've been a grossly insensitive move.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone who competes in that "sport" kind of has it coming if you ask me.
    Why do they have it coming? Why is it a "sport" instead of a sport? Do you not think it takes immense talent and courage to drive with 40 other cars through turns at 200+ MPH?

The only reason anyone watches is in hopes of seeing a wreck.
    I watch it most Sundays. It has nothing to do with wrecks. Entertainment value is subjective but open wheel and stock car driving requires a lot of skill and nerve, that really isn't debatable.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Police: Tony Stewart struck, killed driver with sprint car; driver identified as 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. | FOX Sports

I'm not a NASCAR by any stretch of the imagination. But this has been all over the news this morning.

The facts:

NASCAR driver Tony Stewart was involved in a fatal incident last night at a NY dirt track race, in which his car struck and killed a fellow driver who had walked out onto the track after spinning out following contact with Stewart's car. It appears Kevin Ward Jr. was angry over the spinout, and walked onto the track, pointing at approaching cars. It was Stewart's car that struck and killed him.

A tragedy for sure, but....

Couldn't any confrontation have waited until AFTER the race was over? Heat of the moment be damned. You don't walk onto oncoming traffic to confront someone as race cars are whizzing by. (Track was poorly lit, also).
    I don't know if you saw the video but as the deceased came down the track, to I guess confront Stewart, the car in front of Stewart veered out of the way to miss him. From the video it looked like Stewart had no time to react.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's the clip how it happened, when he stept out of that car was wrong, and he probably pissed! shit happens and he shouldn't get out of the car is my opinion, but its sad he got killed! Noone deserves to get killd!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think its wrong to say that Tony Steward kills Kevin Ward, sounds like he's a murder or something! It was an accident! Its a dirty move that got Kevin into the wall but thats the sport! problem was he got out to confront him? I honestly don't care but it's just sad! I love racing sports and it doesn't get much attention! and there's not a lot of money invould in motorsport as it is in Soccer and other games! And when this kinda stuff happens to this sport it drags bad attention. which is sad!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've heard people say that it's standard practice in racing sports to do what that kid did and get on the track to confront a driver, but from a guy who doesn't follow racing sports it sounds like the dumbest thing you could possibly do.

That fucking idiot should have got his ass off the track.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In stock car racing after a crash there is a "caution", a pace car comes out and the field has to get in line and drive at a slower pace. So, yeah it isn't uncommon for a driver that gets wrecked to move toward the car he believes at fault but in that case they are all in a line moving slowly.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Real simple.

Don't run onto a dirt track in the middle of the race like you need to make it across the street to a meeting. I feel bad for the guys family but he's the kind of guy that sticks his head out of a fox hole when he shouldn't.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A human being's death is a tragedy no matter what. Imagine the grief of his family and loved ones. However, stepping out into a race track and trying to confront someone who is still racing is even more stupid than the morons who get trampled or gored while running with the bulls in Pamplona.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its a shitty situation and loss. But you have to put your pride and ego on pause and not run into traffic ffs. We've been told since kids and all the extended if, might, and jury soap boxes are trumped by the fundamental duty of self preservation in some pissing contest run amok. Was he stunned and semi ko'd off impact..who knows. But you do not ever bet your skin against steel. I doubt very seriously he even saw him standing in the middle of the track in a flash and professional driver or not doubt he could have done a thing about it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It appears the authorities are not yet ready to rule out foul play, which could result in Stewart being criminally charged. What I don't like is a Fox Sports article I read where it stated that Stewart had "sped up... fishtailed... and taken out" Ward Jr. The media had better be very careful in how it covers this still developing story. Not all these reporters and writers work with a full deck when it comes to this type of ultra-sensitive story.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It appears the authorities are not yet ready to rule out foul play, which could result in Stewart being criminally charged. What I don't like is a Fox Sports article I read where it stated that Stewart had "sped up... fishtailed... and taken out" Ward Jr. The media had better be very careful in how it covers this still developing story. Not all these reporters and writers work with a full deck when it comes to this type of ultra-sensitive story.

Fox eh. Surprised they haven't blamed Obama.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Fox eh. Surprised they haven't blamed Obama.
    ....Fox sports ain't Fox News. Same corporation, but that's also the same corporation that has aired The Simpsons for ages...and Family Guy...both shows which continually take the piss out of Fox News.

The dirt track cars are rear wheel drive, Stewart DID rev the engine, but did so in order to turn and avoid the deceased.

Sad situation indeed, these kind of events haunt a person as Ray Mancini and numerous other athletes can attest to

Thread Information