Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Punching the jab arm

ok, I sparred today, a 17year old kid, big bugger. 6-1, 230 or so. Good defense, and far more experience than me, and more reach. We didn't go hard but he defintiely won on the score cards. He doesn't hit nearly as hard as me but he had good d and I couldn't get inside and I like to model myself after Mickey Ward. Anyway, so I took another approach. Every time he dropped his jab hand a bit I (tried to) T off on his shoulder. I wasn't even concerned about his chin... just his shoulder. Again, he has a lot more experience so I couldn't get at him so I went for what I thought would put him on his heels.

I got him really good once and he winced, but how effective is this really? Am I wasting my time? Anyone have any luck with this mode of attack? I've enver really been jabbed in the shoulder time after time so I don't really know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Punching the jab arm

Another thing I was trying to do was throw a "right hook" really a looping right/rt uppercut to hurt his forearms when he shelled up. Any thoughts on that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'll tell you what i love to do with a passion von!! ( if i get the chance!!)
    when someone paws with theyr jab or just keeps it out there so i can get too close and too keep me at range i love to give them hard hooks and uppercuts theyre left arm.... its a bastard for overswinging if you miss but you get used to it and after youve bashed theyr left arm up and its hurt you move a bit out of range nad let them try to set the tempo with a near enough dead arm and theyr jabs arent fast enough strait enough or high enough and i jus keep leanin back and countering a strait right over the top !
    hope this helps ....but dont be taken too many risks!
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It depends on how many rds you have....If it's a short fight 3 or 4rds ( depending if its pro ,amatuer and at what level) and you can manage to keep getting them just on the inside of the shoulder towards the chest...You can score points and hurt the arm.....In a longer fight tear the arm up...hit with rights jabs and hooks... If the arm is hurt you take the starch off it's power or ability to use it often....Marciano use to do this on a regular basis he would throw hooks to the arm like they were KO punches....Worked like the old HS charlie horse game....The guy cant hold his arms up and throw punches as effectively...Leaves him open all day...Just don't concentrate on nothing but the arms....
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn

It depends on how many rds you have....If it's a short fight 3 or 4rds ( depending if its pro ,amatuer and at what level) and you can manage to keep getting them just on the inside of the shoulder towards the chest...You can score points and hurt the arm.....In a longer fight tear the arm up...hit with rights jabs and hooks... If the arm is hurt you take the starch off it's power or ability to use it often....Marciano use to do this on a regular basis he would throw hooks to the arm like they were KO punches....Worked like the old HS charlie horse game....The guy cant hold his arms up and throw punches as effectively...Leaves him open all day...Just done concentrate on nothing but the arms....
    my man marciano!!
    unleash his " suzie que" all over they arms
    love marciano!
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc, both you guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

never really thought about weakening them like that didnt even know it could be a legal move but now that i think of i dont see why it wouldnt be legal your just beating up there arm.. which would take a toll on the body and would like others said make them not through straight or fast jabs thats an awesome idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah, this kid had impregnable defence. He also counter-punched well which made it hard for me to get in close. His arm was my ony decent option. I learned a thing or two though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this is a intresting thread . makes me think about the boxing match that u were having VON. i have learnt from this thread . Thank u all

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had a lad try and do the same thing to me, my arms where all black and blue the next day, but coming into the third round he could barely keep his gloves up, just countered so he didn't over shoot me to much on points and basically just teed off on him in the last round.

I'm pretty fit but it'd have to be a long pro fight or you'd have to be in with some one with weak arms and shit conditioning for it to be really affective with amatuer scoring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    I had a lad try and do the same thing to me, my arms where all black and blue the next day, but coming into the third round he could barely keep his gloves up, just countered so he didn't over shoot me to much on points and basically just teed off on him in the last round.

I'm pretty fit but it'd have to be a long pro fight or you'd have to be in with some one with weak arms and S*** conditioning for it to be really affective with amatuer scoring

Tis why I said not to focus only on the arm and try to hit the inside of the shoulder keeping the punches in scoring range for the amatuers...Most judges want to see the body jerk after a punch landed in amatuer boxing this way is shows effective clean hitting and the front of the face and inside of the torso is where the scoring is now based...A shot to the inside of the shoulders will cause the shoulder to jerk back making it clean and effective in the judges eyes
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ill Still Want To Try Hitting the Arm If They Leave It Out There

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerjl
    Ill Still Want To Try Hitting the Arm If They Leave It Out There

oh yeh definately... or you should jus tap it to the side and quickly band to the body ok hook them..
    learnt that from my trainer doesnt matter how fast,hard or big theyr arm is a quick light tap is all you need to stop a punch... basically a parry theyr so simple but so effective... i love it when people shoot straits rights of a jab to the body i like to parry it with my opposite arm leaving a nice big space open to hook the body.... its painful when you get caught so cleanly
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah im Deffinantly Going To Try Both Of These The Hitting The Arm And Parry The Arm And Come In With Straight Left

Ausome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC TO ALL
    Thanks For The Ausome Ideas

Thread Information