Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Combinations every beginner should know and learn

Right, straight to the point what can I finish this list off with, when I shadow box I always spend a few rounds on developing footwork, rounds perfecting punch technique and obviously rounds on integrated defence. When I spar however I find im just trying to land single power shots, now I acknowledge a large part of this is just pure inexperience on my part, but some of it is due to me not working perfecting and memorising on specific combos.

So, without further ado... please feel free to add or amend. (Combos with uppercuts would be appreciated as I am distinctly lacking in these.

1) 1, 2
    2) 1 2 1
    2) 1 2 3
    3) 1 1 2 (1)
    4) 2 3 2/ 3 2 3
    5) 1/3 (Hook off the jab)
    6) Same hand hook uppercuts etc.

Now these I know pretty well but they are very basic and have got a good idea of the leverage/ body placement behind them. What im looking for are effective combos, mainly or colse range/infighting. If they integrate defence then all well and good.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Combinations every beginner should know and learn

If you can work the double jabmoving the feet twice backward and forward on the Bag its the best movement there is everthing comes of it. Not many can do it properly
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Scrap il try it out, I take it you mean two steps forward two jabs, two steps backwards two jabs, in continous movement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Learn to do it without the numbers,when you dont have someone screaming the numbers youll get confused,write out the full combos

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The combonations uv listed, altho basic are pretty much all i use!
    The only variations i use from that set are:

1-2-3-2-4-2

and

1-2-1-2-3-2

and

1-2-2-dip-2-3-2-slip-2-4-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

scrap how about a vid of that?

please?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get lost with the numbers....
    Other than always finishing with a left- why? think of your balance- combinations are a concept more than a reality. By that I mean that, rather than a set format, what you'll throw in the course of a fight, or a round, depends a lot on your opponent.
    Everything starts from a jab-right-hook. In the gym I would work situations. For instance, slip outside a jab and hook to the body. Get that move down pat, then worry about coming back with a right hook or what ever.
    A bunch of time gets wasted practicing combinations without purpose. The 2nd-5th punches are useless unless and until you master the first move and punch and then the flow of your body weight mostly determines what comes next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    If you can work the double jabmoving the feet twice backward and forward on the Bag its the best movement there is everthing comes of it. Not many can do it properly
    excellent

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    Other than always finishing with a left- why? think of your balance- combinations are a concept more than a reality. By that I mean that, rather than a set format, what you'll throw in the course of a fight, or a round, depends a lot on your opponent.
    Everything starts from a jab-right-hook. In the gym I would work situations. For instance, slip outside a jab and hook to the body. Get that move down pat, then worry about coming back with a right hook or what ever.
    A bunch of time gets wasted practicing combinations without purpose. The 2nd-5th punches are useless unless and until you master the first move and punch and then the flow of your body weight mostly determines what comes next.
    Thats why i try to variate. The one two hook is so generic. Thats why i go left-right-right as a vase often enough. and tbh it's nearly always the last 3 punches in my combination that land.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eventually make your own combinations.
    First think about the arm/glove reaction to your first blow of any combo.
    Understand it fully so you recognize or feel the opponents reaction forming to each punch;
    Build up your own combos through the openings each preceeding shot creates through their reaction.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jab-jab-cross-hook-jab (1-1-2-3-1, if I got the numbers correct) is one of my favorites to do on the heavybag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    I never put it into words like that or really pinpointed it down to that thinking, but my trainer was very focused on that sort of training... The combination would be determined by your movement to avoid punches. He prefered us to be bobbing slipping and weaving formost and flowing that way, feeling the changes of weight, and the punches flowed with that... As you said, slip and hook, up and back the other way with another hook... In the end it looks the same to the observer I guess... But it's a slightly different way of thinking/feeling about it, and everyone he trained flowed very very good through combo's.. It was almost natural with their movement.. Especially while avoid the opponents left and rights...

As you think of it, the body flows around first and the punch follows, so it's natural to be moving and shifting weight with real purpose before throwing the actual punches and running through the combo....

Thinking of it that way will help you get your shifting of weight tighter and help you get more power/timing into your hooks also.

I hope that's along the lines of how you were talking about it.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The first and most important law of training for boxing is that everything must always be done with an opponent in mind. Anything that is done without the opponent in your mind is not actually boxing training. Its just fitness with nothing to do with boxing at all.

Combinations for the sake of combinations are ultimately worthless. Your opponent is constantly thinking and adapting. And so to truly practice combinations one has to practice them in ways based on how your opponent will react and adapt to them. Ex: (i jab -> he slips to his right -> i throw the right -> he slips under the right to his left -> he throws a left hook -> upon completing my right i throw a left hook)

note: I didnt just make that up on the spot; thats actually a very common scenario in boxing and you watch enough boxing you will see it happening over and over. Notice how differently it is to train for combinations when you have your opponent in mind opposes to without him. You are nothing without him. Youre half a man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmm thats interesting never thought of it like that, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    The first and most important law of training for boxing is that everything must always be done with an opponent in mind. Anything that is done without the opponent in your mind is not actually boxing training. Its just fitness with nothing to do with boxing at all.

Combinations for the sake of combinations are ultimately worthless. Your opponent is constantly thinking and adapting. And so to truly practice combinations one has to practice them in ways based on how your opponent will react and adapt to them. Ex: (i jab -> he slips to his right -> i throw the right -> he slips under the right to his left -> he throws a left hook -> upon completing my right i throw a left hook)

note: I didnt just make that up on the spot; thats actually a very common scenario in boxing and you watch enough boxing you will see it happening over and over. Notice how differently it is to train for combinations when you have your opponent in mind opposes to without him. You are nothing without him. Youre half a man.
    You said it better than me
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Thread Information