Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Errol Spence vs Mikey Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I give Mikey timing but he'll be far more stationary waiting for it v Spence who goes from range to mixing inside very quickly and while rolling in combos. It's not like Mikey has been hard to touch over tha last few fights and I think it fatal downfall will be him caught in exchanges with Spence. I saw this will be shown in various theaters, that is awesome. Brings back eras gone by.
    Spence is great at controlling range, but his head and upper body movement leaves a lot to be desired. Mikey is in the biggest challenge of his life here, it's a win/ win fight for him. I can't give him enough credit for taking this huge challenge. I wish more guys would follow suit.

Still not sure if the Nery/ Arroyo fight is set or not?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I give Mikey timing but he'll be far more stationary waiting for it v Spence who goes from range to mixing inside very quickly and while rolling in combos. It's not like Mikey has been hard to touch over tha last few fights and I think it fatal downfall will be him caught in exchanges with Spence. I saw this will be shown in various theaters, that is awesome. Brings back eras gone by.

Randy you are for to analytic , I think Garcia will win because I want him to .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post

Randy you are for to analytic , I think Garcia will win because I want him to .
    Yea, sometimes you have to back your guy, even if everything's stacked against them.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Errol Spence Jr. dismisses notion that Mikey Garcia doesn't stand a chance

The consensus from boxing fans and pundits is that IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. (24-0, 21 KOs) will wipe out WBC lightweight champion Mikey Garcia in their highly-anticipated battle on Saturday night. They feel Garcia is biting off more than he can chew by jumping up two weight classes to face Spence, who is perhaps the top guy at 147 pounds.

Even though the majority are discounting Garcia's chances, Spence doesn't subscribe to that narrative.

"I think he definitely brings a lot to the table," Spence told Sporting News during his conference call. "People who say that he doesn't stand a chance, I feel like don't really know anything about boxing or don't know the history of boxing, just to say he doesn't have a chance. He does have a title at 140. That's just one weight up from 147. So, he does have experience fighting at 140. So, I mean everybody has a chance. He does have a chance. He does have a lot of skills and he is fundamentally sound. He comes from that boxing pedigree. So, he definitely has a chance."

A year ago, a Spence-Garcia clash was nothing but a pipe dream. But hints started to surface heading into the Mexican-American's fight with Robert Easter Jr. in July, when he told SN that he wanted to make the trek to 147 pounds and take on Spence.

Like many people, the Texan initially didn't give the comments too much thought. But the more Garcia talked about it and when it was brought to Spence's attention that the mega fight could possibly be at the home of the Dallas Cowboys, the 2012 Olympian started to change his tune.

"At first, I didn't really care too much for fighting him," Spence admitted. "It got to a point where he started talking a lot more and a lot of other welterweights. I was pretty much busy, like Shawn Porter, like Keith Thurman and Danny Garcia — they all had their dates. Manny Pacquiao too. They were the obvious options for me. Then, when I found that I could be fighting at AT&T Stadium, then it just made sense."

Garcia is ranked No. 5 and Spence is No. 6 in SN's pound-for-pound rankings. A win for either guy will vault him toward being the best fighter in the world. Spence goes a step further, saying if he goes out there and puts on a breathtaking performance, then he sits on top of the mountain.

"Like I always say, it's not just about winning," Spence said. "It's about your performance and it's how you win. So, if I have a spectacular performance, then I do rate myself as pound-for-pound just the best fighter in the world, too."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/err...150331724.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

David Benavidez sees J'Leon Love as redemption fight for bad 2018

Life couldn't have been going any better for David Benavidez.

He had become the youngest super middleweight champion of all time at 20-years-old in September 2017, when he defeated Ronald Gavril by unanimous decision to capture the vacant WBC belt. He followed it up in February 2018 with a more dominant performance in the rematch with Gavril.

But everything came to screeching halt when it was revealed during an August random drug test that Benavidez tested positive for cocaine. The 22-year-old was stripped of the title and subsequently suspended through February. Benavidez (20-0, 17 KOs) knows he disappointed a lot of people with his actions. He says he made a mistake and plans on making it up to everybody, starting with his fight on Saturday night against J'Leon Love in the co-main event of the Errol Spence Jr.-Mikey Garcia card (9 p.m. ET, Fox PPV).

"This is a fight for the fans, just so they could see that I don't want nobody to lose faith in me because I know I'm the best I've ever been right now," Benavidez told Sporting News during a recent conference call. "I just turned 22-years-old. I feel stronger than ever. So, this fight is definitely going to be for them, so they don't lose faith in me."

Benavidez was not only embarrassed, but ashamed of his actions.

The harsh reality of his errors set in for Benavidez when he watched Anthony Dirrell and Avni Yildirim in February competing for the title he had to relinquish. Going through adversity for the first time in his professional career forced Benavidez to look hard at himself in the mirror to see what type of person he is.

"It wasn't a good feeling to have everything you worked for taken away from you in an instant," Benavidez said. "But it happened and it just made me hungrier and more motivated to keep working harder and to get back what's rightfully mine. Being on the sidelines, seeing my belt won by another person I know I could destroy, kind of did it for me. We're not going to take any more steps back. We're working hard and we're going to reclaim what's ours and we're going to put on spectacular performances and that's how it's going to be."

Benavidez hasn’t competed in 13 months. During his period of reflection, there's one thing "El Bandera Roja" learned about himself that keeps driving him as he inches toward his return.

"Just the hunger," Benavidez said. "Just being hungrier, being more dedicated now, being closer to my family. And I just owe it to the people who've been supporting me since the beginning. I just want to be a better person and a better fighter for them, so they could have that fighter that they could be proud of."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/dav...144200921.html

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikey Garcia jumps two weight divisions to take on IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence in one of the most anticipated fights of 2019.

Already a four-weight champion, Garcia is recognised as one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world and having unified the WBC and IBF lightweight titles in July 2018, has his eye on further glory.

He steps up to join the host of world class talent competing in the red-hot welterweight ranks with Spence hoping to inflict the first defeat of his professional defeat.

Also unbeaten, Spence, who took the IBF title from Kell Brook after emphatically schooling the Briton in Sheffield in 2017, has overwhelmed every opponent in his way across a flawless 24-fight career.

It’s a meeting between two genuine world class talents currently at the peak of their powers.

Both men have humility to match their talent, meaning there is unlikely to be any fireworks as we count down to fight night.

They won’t be needed – the action inside the ring between two of the world’s best should be more than enough for any fight fan.

Date, UK start time and venue
    Spence vs Garcia takes place on Saturday March 16 at the AT &T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

For UK viewers looking to tune in, it is going to be an early start or a very late night with coverage of the show beginning at 2am – with the main event unlikely to get underway until 4am at the earliest on Sunday morning.

TV channel and live stream
    Good news for UK viewers; Spence vs Garcia will be available to watch for free on ITV4 as part of the deal between ITV and Haymon Sports and Premier Boxing Champions which was announced at the end of 2018.

Live streaming will also be available through the ITV Hub app.

Undercard
    Lindolfo Delgado vs James Roach (lightweight)

Fernando Garcia vs Marlon Olea (super-featherweight)

Burley Brooks vs Randy Mast (cruiserweight)

Amon Rashidi vs Gabriel Gutierrez (welterweight)

Jesse Rodriguez vs Rauf Aghayev (bantamweight)

Adrian Taylor vs Robert Rodriguez (super flyweight)

PPV undercard
    David Benavidez vs J’Leon Love (super middleweight)

Luis Nery vs McJoe Arroyo (bantamweight)

Chris Arreola vs Jean Pierre Augustin (heavyweight)

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/err...124200656.html

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watch Errol Spence Jr vs Mikey Garcia on ITV4 this weekend

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-12/...-this-weekend/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikey Garcia is taking the daring route as he attempts the stuff of legends vs. Errol Spence

When Barack Obama was a candidate for a U.S. Senate seat from Illinois, he was asked to deliver the keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. It was a rousing speech that effectively launched his bid for the presidency three years later.

In it, the future president spoke words that seem to describe Mikey Garcia’s situation as he prepares to move up two weight classes on Saturday and challenge IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. in a pay-per-view bout at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

“… Hope in the face of difficulty,” Obama said. “Hope in the face of uncertainty. The audacity of hope!”

Garcia clearly has the audacity of hope. For the last several months, ever since he called out Spence, Garcia has answered the same question repeatedly: Why?

It’s not for the money, though Garcia will make plenty of that, more than he could have possibly ever dreamed when he was born poor in Oxnard, California, as the son of Mexican immigrant strawberry pickers in 1987. At 31, Garcia (39-0, 31 KOs) is already one of the best boxers of his era and seemingly on an express ticket to the International Boxing Hall of Fame. He’s a boxer, but he’s not of boxing.

He’s made his money outside of the sport as a realtor who is meticulous in properties he’ll invest in and renovate to flip. He’s got the same group of friends he’s had for years. He lives the safe, sane, boring, middle America lifestyle that is so atypical of the free-spending professional athlete of the 21st century.

The man who one day dreamed of becoming a police officer has held major world championships at featherweight, super featherweight, lightweight and super lightweight and has set the stage for one of the most intriguing matches of the year.

Though he’s held a belt at 140, he’s really never campaigned at that class. Going to welterweight to fight the guy not many are too interested in fighting is a full two divisions above where he seems to belong. He’ll give up four inches in both height and reach to Spence, a 2012 U.S. Olympian who is a devastating puncher and has been compared from his earliest days as a pro to the legendary Sugar Ray Leonard.

Yahoo Sports ranks Spence the No. 2 pound-for-pound boxer in the world, right behind Terence Crawford and just ahead of Vasiliy Lomachenko. Garcia sits in fourth.

Spence is so big and so powerful that when the Premier Boxing Champions was attempting to lure former middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin into its fold, it noted the possibility of a future fight for Golovkin against Spence when Spence would make the jump to middleweight.

And here is Garcia, a guy who as recently as 2013 was dropped by Rocky Martinez, a career super featherweight, challenging a guy big enough to fight at middleweight.

It’s crazy. It’s audacious. It’s Garcia. Helen Keller once said, “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all,” and Garcia is taking the daring route.

“If you want to be one of the great fighters who ever lived, you just can’t go along and fight the next guy up all the time,” Garcia said. “If you look at boxing history, all of the great ones, they took some kind of risk. They stuck their necks out to try to prove they were the best. It’s what you have to do.

“So, I hear people tell me, ‘Oh, Errol, he’s too big. He hits too hard. He’s scary. He’s a monster. He’s this and he’s that. Why do you want to fight him?’ Why do I want to fight him? Really? I want to fight him for exactly that reason. All these people are saying, ‘You can’t beat this guy.’ I think I can. That’s why I’m fighting him.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/mik...221842548.html

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For all Garcia's ability Spence is not just bigger, he is a measured, methodical, heavy handed fighter who breaks jaws and smashes eye sockets. It is not Garcia's game to avoid being drawn into a firefight and this is one he is very unlikely to come out of on top. I don't think he can win on points either. It is not like he is some impossible to hit elusive defensive master. It's a great opportunity for Garcia to prove everyone wrong but it really would be a mammoth upset. Spence by bloody stoppage late.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Starting to shift on my original Prediction for Spence. Watching the work Mikey has done for this fight and Spences fight against Peterson, Its becoming clearer to see why Mikey chose to challenge Spence.

Originally had Spence pegged as a seek and destroy guy that was methodical and calculated that was just going to bull the smaller fighter around the ring and shrug off punches. I still think Spence is going to advance and try to get the most out of jab to the body to back Mikey up and mug him in tight spaces. So it still may come down to whether how Mikey takes Spences shot.

That being said, i don't think Mikey plans on being there for much of those punches .I think Mikey plans to take the center of the ring away from Spence instead of orbiting and trying to pick at him with counters before being forced to shell up on the perimeter and take some heavy body work. Mikey appears to added some sharp head movement and picked up the pace on his footwork and put on a little muscle to sure up his durability. In comparing the two side by side, Mikeys obviously smaller but his bone structure, i think, carries the weight better than I originally thought and I think we may be surprised at his durability. Spence is there to be hit and gets hit a lot and I think Mikey is going to work counters to swing the momentum and then try to have Spence fight much of the fight going backwards or confused, trying to make something happen from the outside. Mikey may convinced that Spence may be his Canelo (in floyds career). If this is mikeys plan and he clinches effectively to reset the action when needed. His chances have gone up significantly, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him pull it off.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Master fancy a date night?

The F1 season starts at 5:10am so I'm gonna be up early doors, I'm thinking about going down the villa and just soldiering on like a Trojan badger until about 7am

Are you with me or are you too much of a fanny?

P.s. if you are too much of a fanny I'll probably just record it and watch it after the F1

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    @Master fancy a date night?

The F1 season starts at 5:10am so I'm gonna be up early doors, I'm thinking about going down the villa and just soldiering on like a Trojan badger until about 7am

Are you with me or are you too much of a fanny?

P.s. if you are too much of a fanny I'll probably just record it and watch it after the F1
    You are hard core, I am still recovering from my 20 hours staying awake from the last time I stayed up.

You never stay up all night like me anyway.

I was thinking of setting the alarm around 4am this time. I want to watch the fight and there are good fights on the undercard.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Starting to shift on my original Prediction for Spence. Watching the work Mikey has done for this fight and Spences fight against Peterson, Its becoming clearer to see why Mikey chose to challenge Spence.

Originally had Spence pegged as a seek and destroy guy that was methodical and calculated that was just going to bull the smaller fighter around the ring and shrug off punches. I still think Spence is going to advance and try to get the most out of jab to the body to back Mikey up and mug him in tight spaces. So it still may come down to whether how Mikey takes Spences shot.

That being said, i don't think Mikey plans on being there for much of those punches .I think Mikey plans to take the center of the ring away from Spence instead of orbiting and trying to pick at him with counters before being forced to shell up on the perimeter and take some heavy body work. Mikey appears to added some sharp head movement and picked up the pace on his footwork and put on a little muscle to sure up his durability. In comparing the two side by side, Mikeys obviously smaller but his bone structure, i think, carries the weight better than I originally thought and I think we may be surprised at his durability. Spence is there to be hit and gets hit a lot and I think Mikey is going to work counters to swing the momentum and then try to have Spence fight much of the fight going backwards or confused, trying to make something happen from the outside. Mikey may convinced that Spence may be his Canelo (in floyds career). If this is mikeys plan and he clinches effectively to reset the action when needed. His chances have gone up significantly, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him pull it off.
    Again, the biggest issue comes down to if Mikey’s punches can keep Spence off of him or if Mikey can take Spence’s punch well enough to not have to retreat once he gets hit.

I’m assuming that Mikey’s gameplan is to use effective head movement and stay on the inside in order to punch in between Spence’s punches. I think he can be successful in that for a few rounds maybe, but the weight will wear on him eventually and he won’t be able to avoid getting hit the whole fight if Spence is relentless like his normal self. If by chance Mikey can really sting Spence with a punch, then Spence may not be so relentless and allow Mikey to stay on the inside and counter.

I honestly don’t see Mikey winning by fighting on the outside. Spence is too long for that. He has to get on the inside and counter to win.

Thread Information