Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default experiance Vs Skill

hi everyone. just wondering wats more important experiance or Skill. I only go to the gym about 3 times a week. the rest of the days a train at home. when i do go to the gym i spar with guys witch builds experiance, when i train at home i build conditioning and skill. i cant go to the gym 3x a week anymore. instead i have to go 1-2 x a week. can i make up for the experiance i loose in sparing with skills?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: experiance Vs Skill

well first of all, a topic called experience vs skill doesn't make any sense to me. it could mean that you could go and fight every day 5 times with no skill, so that you could get some experience. that would mean that you'd get yo ass kicked 5 times a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wat i'm realy trying to say is as a 19 year old trying to go pro some day. what should i be more concerned about if i had to pick ONE. should i work on my skills (ie power, speed, defence...) or since i already have average skills should i work on getting ring experiance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is no replacement for skill
    5 foot 4 inches and 154 lbs of PURE MAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like they said, there's no real substitute for skill. If you have no skill, you'll just get experienced at lying on your back. Work on skill first, then worry about experience once you're ready to get in the ring.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

both dont limit yourself to either or

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vex, if you only have a day or two a week for training, I say sparring is the most important for sure.Your ultimate goal is to be a better boxer therefore you must get all the sparring in you can.If your pressed for time do pushups and crunches every morning when you wake up or before bed.Sparring is the most important tool to get better in the ring.You'll lose fat and condition your boxing muscles.Make sure your sparring partner is not overwhelming you though.As someone else said you don't want to get beat on all the time.Azz beatings won't make you better.Choose a sparring partner who's better than you, who won't hurt you at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought with experiance...Your skill levels become intact?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the life of me I cannot see how experience and skill can be viewed as separate. When at home work constantly on the technique of each punch, of moving, how they work together. Hit the heavy bag like you are boxing it. Move in to land specific sequences your are working on then get out, like against a real foe. Your earliest experience with handling a "body" in close should come from the heavy bag. Work on where your feet need to be to land most effectively. In the mirror box yourself: for example double jab, parry a counter jab, roll your shoulder to deflect a right, counter with an uppercutblock a hook jab and pivot out. At hte gym spar a round or two jabs only, or contrate on defense and left hand counters. it is all part and parcel, repition and large muscle memory, and chess with blackeyes and sore hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

first off what you say doesnt make a huge amount of sense to me.
    you say you build your skill at home - and our survey says ... *EEEEERRRRUUUURRR*
    you build skill through training with a coach. the biggest skill builder is infact sparring, the thing you said provides you with all the exerience.

this is why you should do sparring all the time, it builds reactions, skill, speed, footwork, ring knowlege and "expereince"

if you want to look at skill VS experience, go watch the ricky hatton kostya tsyzu fight.
    or wait and watch PBF VS gatti. that will be skill VS experience in literal terms.
    see which you think is more important

Thread Information