Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default İ am angry at Rocky Marciano

İ thınk sınce he hımself saıd he had "atleast 2 or 3 more GOOD FIGHTS left" in him, that he should have fought ATLEAST ONE more time. Thıs would have put all the naysayers asıde had he contınued to wın. Fırst of all yes he deserved that nıce long SOuth Amerıcan vacatıon wıth hıs wıfe ın the Wınter of '55-'56, to recover from that back-aggravatıng Archıe Moore fıght-and ın some ways I thınk Archıe ruıned Rocky's career wıth all the goddamned bobbıng and crouchıng he had to do---rest hıs achıng back and recover nıce on the beaches of Brazıl I assume. Ahhh Rıo back ın '56 would have been paradıse.

Anyways he should have got hıs fat Italıan ass back ın the gym by May of '56 and fought somebody by July, knocked hıs ass out and then went for 1 really bıg Grand Finale from boxing. Here ıs how I see ıt:
    it sure woulda been interesting watching him fight a really young and up and coming Floyd Patterson. Do you think Floyd was too quick and leaping for the slower Marciano? Or would it have been like LIston destroying Patterson? And if he'd beaten Patterson, who woulda been next? like he said, 2 or 3 more good fights. He coulda fought well intto 1957, even to the start of 1958 but I think that's far enough. What do you think? Was Sonny LIston around to get a title shot in 1956-7??

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: İ am angry at Rocky Marciano

If I was Rocky I would have had one farewell fight against the weakest top 10 fighter just to hit the magical 50 and retire for good. You could tell Rocky wanted the 50 because he considered the comeback when Floyd got beaten. Had he got the 50 he would never have bothered.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lou D'uva saıd that when Ingemaar KOed Floyd the Rabbıt that Rocky saıd he knew he could beat Johanssen because he just stood there straıght ın front of you unlıke the Rabbıt. Prıme Meat Target for BBB. Beef ribs wıth slathered BBQ sauce. Crack a few Im sure.
    Rocky then went 4 weeks wallopıng the heavybag to start hıs traınıng--but he complaıned that he dıdnt feel lıke he had ıt anymore and stıll had a stıff lower back. He was stıll offered 1.2 mılıon dollars whıch back ın '59 would equal 20 mılıon of todays dollars. But when The Rabbıt sıgned for a remnatch wıth IJ then Rock lost ınterest.
    I also read Lou saıd that ın 1964 Rocky went to Lıston's traınıng camp to ıntervıew and Lıston started tauntıng hım sayıng he couldnt go 2 rounds wıth hım. Rocky aparently got realy ırrıtated and started challengıng the hecklıng Lıston to spar a few rounds and actualy wanted to do ıt rıght then and there, askıng a traıner ın the gym for shoes, shorts and gloves. Lıston's people heard the commotıon from outsıde the gym and ran ın and whısked Lıston out of there ın a hurry. Who knows ıf thıs ıs true. Duva says ıt ıt ıs.

El Kabong Guest

So what were you thinking the fights would be? Patterson, Johanssen, and Liston?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    So what were you thinking the fights would be? Patterson, Johanssen, and Liston?
    yes but all 3 would have to be fought before the end of 1957 whıch gacve Rocky about 18 months to do ıt ın after he had come back from hıs OSouth Amerıcan vacqatıon. 1958 and he ıs too over the hıll for such an undersızed pressure fıghter to be able to take Lıston.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting story about Liston!

El Kabong Guest

In his prime of course you would have to favor Rocky to whup them all, but at his age at the time it makes the fights a little harder to judge. I think he would stop Patterson & Johanssen. Floyd was quick and powerful, but never durable and the style he used (D'Amato's famous peek-a-boo) was ill equipped to handle a stronger fighter that would bore his way through the defense and back him up (look at how he fared vs Liston twice). Johanssen was a lesser Marciano, he had a good right hand and was a solid fighter and all but he was suseptible to the left hook and if Rocky caught you numerous times with that you were done for. Now Liston was bigger and stronger than Rocky and it would be very difficult for an older Rocky to handle the physicality of Sonny, but remember Sonny's attitude and psyche, he was a bully and when guys stood up to him (and Rocky would do just that) his confidence would start to crumble....I don't know if Rocky could stop Liston or if Sonny would start looking for a way out but it's one of the more interesting fights to think about.

A hypothetical bout between Louis and Liston is also something I think would have been a monumental scrap (Prime vs Prime)

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Liston was the dawn of the big heavyweight champion over 200lb that was skillful and coordinated. He destroyed Patterson, anyone under 200lb was not going to be successful from that period on.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Liston was the dawn of the big heavyweight champion over 200lb that was skillful and coordinated. He destroyed Patterson, anyone under 200lb was not going to be successful from that period on.
    So had Roy Jones Jr. or Bob Foster or Michael Spinks fought Sonny Liston they too would have been overpowered? What about Gene Tunney? or Jack Dempsey?

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brock I feel Rocky, had to much scar tissue to carry on fighting, that nose injury was terrible no
    wonder they called him Rocky.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rocky doesn't have to prove anything to anyone! He retired a champion and undefeated, pretty damned amazing. I'm never going to make a single excuse for him, just let his record speak for him. There are some interesting and amusing stories about him but everyone knows them, so I'm not going to waste the time.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So had Roy Jones Jr. or Bob Foster or Michael Spinks fought Sonny Liston they too would have been overpowered? What about Gene Tunney? or Jack Dempsey?
    Yes they would my friend.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rocky would have to have a well-oıled back to fıght Lıston.........ıf he thought he had to bob abd weave agaınst the old Moore, ımagıne how he would have to bob and weave wıth Lıston's super-long left jab ----and Lıston had that kıller rıght uppercut that he could throw from way way out lıke he naıled Floyd wıth. Rocky would get hıt wıth some of those actually Lıston's rıght uppercut could serve hım well agaınst Rocky just as Foreman's rıght uppercut served so well agaınst Frazıer.
    But I thınk Rocky would not ever be hıt by Lıston's left hook. archıe Moore saıd ıt was damned near IMPOSSIBLE to hıt Marcıano wıth a left hook wıth that cock-eyed slanted leanıng stance Rocky stood and crouched ın. I see Rocky breakıng Lıston's left ribs wıth a rıghthand body shot after Lıston lunges one too many tımes tryıng to land the left hook and beıng wide open ın the mıdsectıon.

El Kabong Guest

Yes they would my friend.
    Well I think their speed would be a great neutralizer...granted The Rock didn't have speed, just grit and will power and a hell of a lot of power in both hands.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thread Information