Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Briggs speaks on the fight...

Here is a copy of a presser I recieved in the mail this morning froms Briggs and his people....Shannon stated he ntold his corner they were not to stop the fight under any circumstances.....I still thinmk they needed to stop it and rationalize it with Shannon later but still I guess at some point in time they discussed it during the fight at least...Briggs put the Kabosh on it...

Arm injury most serious ailment after courageous stand against Klitschko

Two-time Heavyweight World Champion and recent title challenger Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs wants to assure fans he will be just fine after his courageous performance against Vitali Klitschko on Saturday in Hamburg, Germany.

"Thank you all for your concern. Your outpouring of support has helped maintain my spirits through this disappointing period. I want to let you all know that I came to the hospital Saturday night, strictly as a precautionary measure, and after several tests the doctors concluded there were no severe head injuries. However, I am still undergoing tests to determine what kind of surgery I will need on my left bicep because of an injury I suffered in the first round of the fight.

Unfortunately, the injury kept me from fully executing my fight plan. Not to take anything away from the brilliant performance by Vitali Klitschko on Saturday night, but had I not injured my arm so early on, who knows how the fight would have concluded?

We are grateful to the fine doctors and people of Hamburg for the excellent care and support they've given me thus far. And as a life long asthmatic, I'm truly grateful to Dr. Charles Hensley and his homeopathic formulation Zivair that helped make it possible to go 12 rounds and compete for the WBC title.

As witnessed Saturday night and throughout my career, I never gave up, even when my breathing was out of order and the arm injury kept me from being 100%. Despite prior reports, throughout the contest my trainer, Herman Caicedo, wanted to stop the fight, but I made it clear that stopping was not an option. Thank you for all of your support and hopefully I showed you the heart of a lion and the perseverance of a champion."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Briggs speaks on the fight...

Props to briggs and we all wish the guy well. He was put in a position that due to the lack of opponets he should have never been in. But he gave an ok showing, did as well as any other of these guys have and would've done. With two good biceps and even a spare one back in the locker room he still would have loss this fight. If nothing else he tood a shot that other heavy's out there have avoided and just "talked" about. More impressive in my book.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Briggs earnt a few more fans from the night, brave performance.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm guessing guys feel a sense of betrayal and belittling when a corner throws in the towel after a fighter instructs them not to. Stubborn pride can get you seriously f'd up though and cannot raise your children. Corner gambled with all of them.

El Kabong Guest

Briggs' corner should have known better, they had experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he should have really studied how Vitali fights before even beginning to train for the match. That excuse about his arm hindering him from a win is inexcusable, because I'm pretty sure that he heard from reviews that rated Vitali Klitchsko, that ever since he became nearing the 40-year range he has been known for throwing frequent punches to the arm. However, he showed a lot of heart and perserverence, I'll give him that though. He needs to work on his defense. What Briggs should do is to do a lot of sparring and every five minutes his trainer should stop the session and let him know how to improve his defense, because that shit is sloppy. With all do respect, it might work with weaker opponents and sloppy clowns who call themselves fighters but when he is up against experienced adversaries such as Vitali and Lennox Lewis, he is going to have to not only step up his guard (which is sloppy), he is going to have to work on his defensive footwork as well, which is mediocre at best.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ManicHands80 View Post
    I think he should have really studied how Vitali fights before even beginning to train for the match. That excuse about his arm hindering him from a win is inexcusable, because I'm pretty sure that he heard from reviews that rated Vitali Klitchsko, that ever since he became nearing the 40-year range he has been known for throwing frequent punches to the arm. However, he showed a lot of heart and perserverence, I'll give him that though. He needs to work on his defense. What Briggs should do is to do a lot of sparring and every five minutes his trainer should stop the session and let him know how to improve his defense, because that shit is sloppy. With all do respect, it might work with weaker opponents and sloppy clowns who call themselves fighters but when he is up against experienced adversaries such as Vitali and Lennox Lewis, he is going to have to not only step up his guard (which is sloppy), he is going to have to work on his defensive footwork as well, which is mediocre at best.
    What Briggs needs to do is retire. His steller KO of Lyhakovic was his swan song in my opinion, even though it came on heels on 11 of the boring rounds in heavyweight history. Honestly I respect Briggs, he has tons of heart and a great chin, but he is way past his use by date.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A fighter doesn't decide whether the fight should be stopped or not that is the corners resposibility...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    A fighter doesn't decide whether the fight should be stopped or not that is the corners resposibility...
    Agreed. Briggs bravery is admirable though. I've developed something of a soft spot for him after the fight.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    Agreed. Briggs bravery is admirable though. I've developed something of a soft spot for him after the fight.
    That brutal KO from RJJ on Art Serwano on your sig. is a gut wrencher especially once you see Arts eyes rolling in the back of his head and his body twitching...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That brutal KO from RJJ on Art Serwano on your sig. is a gut wrencher especially once you see Arts eyes rolling in the back of his head and his body twitching...
    I know mate, one of the most brutal KO's i've ever seen!

El Kabong Guest

I know mate, one of the most brutal KO's i've ever seen!
    Art looks like some sort of vampire zombie that just got staked through the heart.

But anyway, for as much of a pain as Briggs has been these past few years (constantly calling out the Klitschko's etc.) #1 At least he was man enough to step in the ring when given the opportunity and #2 He was very gracious and humble in defeat and #3 He took a super sized type beat down for 12 full rounds and I certainly didn't forsee that happening. I know I've posted harsh words about Shannon before, but I respect him, it's corny to say it but after he took a beating like that and really gave no excuses especially when he certainly could have (having torn up his arm). More power to him, but I just hope he's not seriously hurt in the brain from all those punches he took, that was probably the equivolent to 20 serious car crashes.

Thread Information