Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mikkel Kessler announces comeback!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mikkel Kessler announces comeback!

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    There was a time when Kessler was probably my favourite fighter . I thought he was over the top when he lost to Froch, and that disappointed me. So to see him fight 4 years later really doesn't do much for me.
    I knew it wouldn't be long before Froch put his 2 pence worth in. I suppose with the silly money banded around , you can't blame them , but for fucks sake, if people want to see this, why don't we just have Masters tournaments and be done with it!
    I don't like it and I don't think it's in the best interests of the fighters.

Kesslers last fight was against Froch in 2013 and he (they) were both still bang at it in the 12th round.
    Neither are known for their speed or fancy footwork, they are just 2 warriors who can and will fight.
    You'll thank me when this gets made and proves to be a toe to toe war

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kessler's done.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kessler Announces Comeback/Froch Could Be tempted

Danish boxing legend Mikkel Kessler (46-3, 35 KOs) announced his plans to return to the ring at a press conference today at the Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers Hotel.

The former five-time World Champion, who retired following his May 2013 rematch with Carl Froch at the O2 in London, will make a sensational comeback later this year with a date and opponent to be confirmed.

‘’I want to prove that I can become the best again. The goal is to become World Champion for the sixth time,’’ said ’The Viking Warrior’.

‘’I’ve always said that if I wake up one day and the motivation is there, I’ll take the chance, and now, the timing is right. I still have a great team around me with a chef, physical trainer, therapist and boxing coach. The desire is still there, and I’m ready to make it happen.

‘’I’m older, and so is my body, but I’ve kept in shape, and I’m still in weight. I’m 100 per cent motivated to do this. I’ve missed the training camps, and I’ve missed the focus you get from boxing - to have one goal, and to do your best to achieve it.

‘’It’s not about the money; it’s about doing what my heart tells me to do. I’ve always love big challenges, and this is a chance to really test myself.

‘’We’ve not decided on a date or an opponent yet. I’m just looking forward to fighting in front of my fans again. For me, it has always been about the fans, and I promise to do everything I can to ensure they get to see entertaining fights.’’

The 38 year-old was joined at today’s press conference by promoter Kalle Sauerland.

‘’For Mikkel it has always been about honour and not money when he steps into the ring,’’ said Sauerland. ’’He has beaten the best, and we believe he can come back to a level where he is ready to conquer the World again.’’

Froch is also reportedly considering coming out of retirement and could be tempted to face Kessler in a rubber match.

Kessler and Froch have fought each other twice, winning one a piece and on hearing the news of Kessler’s return Froch said: " I’ve always said fighters should stay retired but I’ve got to be honest, this has really got me thinking!

"It is one one of course and if anything is going to get me going again - it is a decider with Mikkel Kessler."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighters now box on well into their late 30's now and it must be to do with diets, nutrition and latest modern training/recovery methods.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He looks in reasonable nik but I see him only being a name on younger guys records from here.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not a fan of old fighters going on past their sell buy date, let alone coming out of a long retirement after stopping because they've lost a step or three.

Froch-Kessler III doesn't interest me in the slightest, who cares who wins, it would simply be a case of who is the least shot. It's nothing but a battle between two fossils that already established they are equal foes in their pomp (Kessler was arguably past his best in the 1st fight let alone the 2nd).

He'll probably chase the WBA boys (Zeuge/Chudinov), as that's the alphabet mob he was most tight with and they're all with Sauerland. Groves too is with Sauerland, or he could end up getting the full SKY/Eddie treatment being a C.Smith title defense victim (should he beat Dirrel)

I suppose a fight with Arthur Abraham would be good in Germany.

Actually he has plenty of options, just best hope he's not completely and utterly gone at the game.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kessler definitely has options. I just don't see him having much success. The Abraham fight might be the best of the lot.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The WBA and Groves link seems the likely path for Kessler. Should he win these fights then he is worthy of the success and money he will make. Froch will be closely watching as will sky with their penchant for PPV fights.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The WBA and Groves link seems the likely path for Kessler. Should he win these fights then he is worthy of the success and money he will make. Froch will be closely watching as will sky with their penchant for PPV fights.
    Isn't Groves/ Chudinov supposed to fill a vacant belt? If that fight ever gets made. I think both guys are too much for Kessler to handle at this point. He may give Zeuge some rounds.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Isn't Groves/ Chudinov supposed to fill a vacant belt? If that fight ever gets made. I think both guys are too much for Kessler to handle at this point. He may give Zeuge some rounds.
    Yes, Groves v Chudinov should be next and then anything can happen. Groves could have some domestic world title unification's should he win against DeGale or Smith should he win.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, Groves v Chudinov should be next and then anything can happen. Groves could have some domestic world title unification's should he win against DeGale or Smith should he win.
    The DeGale fight will always be there for Groves I feel as James will want to avenge that loss at some point. I think Smith could emerge as the leader of the pack.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The DeGale fight will always be there for Groves I feel as James will want to avenge that loss at some point. I think Smith could emerge as the leader of the pack.
    Smith has a very tough fight against Dirrell but if he wins then yes he has a case. DeGale did it and has got the rewards. If Smith won he would fight at home and become more popular than James.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope he hasn't lost all his money. It sounds a little bit like choreographed press releases with Froch so maybe they're going to announce a pension top up fight. I think they'd fill the O2 easily and it'd do OK on British PPV probably.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I hope he hasn't lost all his money. It sounds a little bit like choreographed press releases with Froch so maybe they're going to announce a pension top up fight. I think they'd fill the O2 easily and it'd do OK on British PPV probably.
    @Master would buy it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    @Master would buy it.
    Only if they're accepting coupons from cereal boxes.

Thread Information