Feel free to add your own...

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: World Cup awards...

Best goal has to go to Vonbrockhorst what a fucken shot that was... Up until that point I had Tshabalala's opening goal of the world cup vs. Mexico.

Most valuable player has to go to Diego Forlan... What a fucken beast he is. Took Uruguay that far, he score in almost every game he played. Twice bringing his team back into contention in crucial games. He's been an excellent player for some time now but I gotta say he showed signs of great here. Great players play great on the WORLD stage NOT just at club level.
    Look at players like Suarez from Uruguay, Muller from Germany, Beausejur from Chile and many others who don't get recognition like others but clearly showed they are world stage players. I've always argued that there's a difference and that my friends seperates greatness from really good players.
    Messi, CR9, Torres, Rooney, Gilardinho etc. might all be good to great CLUB players but leave so much to be desired on the world stage.

Idiot of the cup has to go to Gyan for missing the penalty vs. Uruguay in literally the last seconds of the match. All you had to do was make it and you were through...

Funniest moment has to go to the German coach who ate his own bugger during a match...

The best almost goal for goes to Lampard... Ooooppppssss!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best young player of the mondial: Thomas Muller, Germany
    Most useful player to his team: Diego Forlan, Uruguay
    Best Goaler: Kingston, Ghana without who they would have been crushed far far earlier
    Biggest deception for a big name: Torres who virtually hasn't done jack and shit and ended up on the bench.
    Very honorable mentions: Wesley Sneijder, David Villa, Bastian Schweinsteiger who have shown that they can continuously make a major difference
    Last edited by Nameless; 07-12-2010 at 09:49 AM.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best Ninjas - That orange lot from last night.

El Kabong Guest

Best young player: Ozil for Germany

MVP: Villa, scored all but 3 of Spain's goals (Klose and Forlan in 2nd)

Best Almost Goal: Edu and Dempsey tie

Idiot of the cup: Melo CLEAR winner here

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best goal has to be Van Bronckhorst

Most Valuable Player probably Forlan or Villa, Villa because he pretty much dragged Spain to the semis when they weren't playing particularly well, and Forlan for being brilliant. One of the few players who seemed comfortable using the Jabulani ball.

Best almost goal, probably Maicon against Holland. That was almost the double of Jairzinho's in the 1970 final, great play down the wing, into Robinho who held it then played it into Maicon's path, but the shot was tipped onto the side netting.

Idiot of the cup, I'd feel harsh saying Gyan for missing the penalty because he played so well up to that point, but all you've got to do is score...awful moment for Ghana. Melo's a good shout for that stamp on Robben, also Cardozo in the quarter against Spain. If he hadn't hit that penalty so poorly that game could have turned out so different.

Best young player, Muller or Ozil, also though Andre Ayew looked good for Ghana, as did Alexis Sanchez from Chile

Funniest moment, maybe Holland's complete failure against Brazil when Robben tried that trick corner

Keeper of the torunament, either Neuer or Casillas

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best player was Zavi or Iniesta, best team was Spain, best goal Van Bronckhorst. Biggest letdown, Messi. Watched the final in Amsterdam with a bunch of mainly Dutch people. Let out a big cheer when Iniesta scored. It didn't go down well.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best Goal: Villa beating 5 players and putting it in the top corner
    Best Goalkeeper stop: Nigeria keeper against Messi.
    Most valuable Player: Villa
    Best Celebration: South Africa's first goal.
    Idiot of Cup: Robert Green
    Funniest Moment: Ghana missing penalty
    The best "almost" goal: Ghana missing penalty
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Best player was Zavi or Iniesta, best team was Spain, best goal Van Bronckhorst. Biggest letdown, Messi. Watched the final in Amsterdam with a bunch of mainly Dutch people. Let out a big cheer when Iniesta scored. It didn't go down well.
    Because he won the Ballon D'Oro last year yes.

But as far as production goes. I mean he sure as hell played a lot better then Rooney, CR9 & Torres.
    He didn't score and Messi as I've said since the last World Cup he has yet to prove himself on the world stage.

I completely disagree with best team being Spain, not when you lose against Switz and you win most games by average of 1 goal.

For me the best team would be Holland or Germany.
    I mean just look at the teams they had to face and eliminated. Argentina, Brazil, England among others. The toughest team Spain faced was Germany and that wasn't until the semis.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post

But as far as production goes. I mean he sure as hell played a lot better then Rooney, CR9 & Torres.
    He didn't score and Messi as I've said since the last World Cup he has yet to prove himself on the world stage.

I completely disagree with best team being Spain, not when you lose against Switz and you win most games by average of 1 goal.

I mean just look at the teams they had to face and eliminated. Argentina, Brazil, England among others. The toughest team Spain faced was Germany and that wasn't until the semis.

Spain not the best team C'mon man

Did you actually watch the game against the Swiss. They dominated them completely, hit the post god knows how many times and owned them possesion wise.

Spain dominited every team they played with they brand of total football, and for me played the best football of the tournament, but thats just my opinion
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhitman View Post

Did you actually watch the game against the Swiss. They dominated them completely, hit the post god knows how many times and owned them possesion wise.

Spain dominited every team they played with they brand of total football, and for me played the best football of the tournament, but thats just my opinion

I'd say dominating every team they played is a bit of a stretch, the only team they actually did dominate was Germany, they laboured past Paraguay and Portugal, were hardly convincing against Chile and, for all their possession they still lost to Switzerland. IMO Spain were only the best team in the sense that they won it, in terms of the way they played I really don't think they were the best team. The problem I have with Spain is they're often quite directionless. Its all well and good having 60 - 65% of the possession, but they spend most of the game passing it about 40 yards out, not really going forward, and to me thats not particularly good or entertaining football.
    They'll still go down in history as the best team because they won it though, rendering everything I've just said irrelevant

Personally I'd say Germany were the best team in terms of entertainment. They tore apart some good teams (on paper at least) and played some bright, creative football in the process. Holland, like Spain, were effective without playing brilliantly.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best free kick (it was the best quality I could find): FIFA.com - DEN:JPN - Keisuke HONDA

Another good question is:

What will you remember first when you think back to this world cup?

Two things will always stick with me, Ghana missing the spot kick in injury time of ET after the hand ball and the karate kick on Alonso just summed up the final perfectly.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But they beat Germany with so much style. They would have beaten Holland the same way but Holland spent 90 minutes kicking them. The Germans were the second best team in the tournament and were, amazingly for Germany, good to watch, but Spain completely outclassed them. It's a shame that game wasn't the final, I didn't see many games but I don't think there would have been one better than that one.

I forgot about Ghana. They were robbed by that handball against Uruguay, they deserved to make the last four.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cressa121 View Post

I'd say dominating every team they played is a bit of a stretch, the only team they actually did dominate was Germany, they laboured past Paraguay and Portugal, were hardly convincing against Chile and, for all their possession they still lost to Switzerland. IMO Spain were only the best team in the sense that they won it, in terms of the way they played I really don't think they were the best team. The problem I have with Spain is they're often quite directionless. Its all well and good having 60 - 65% of the possession, but they spend most of the game passing it about 40 yards out, not really going forward, and to me thats not particularly good or entertaining football.
    They'll still go down in history as the best team because they won it though, rendering everything I've just said irrelevant

Personally I'd say Germany were the best team in terms of entertainment. They tore apart some good teams (on paper at least) and played some bright, creative football in the process. Holland, like Spain, were effective without playing brilliantly.

I hear what ya saying bro, but as most things it's subject to opinion.

My philosophy on football, being a Liverpool fan is possesion is the key. If the opposition dont have the ball they cannot score, Spain are the team that do this to the max. The movement of the players and the patterns they produce on the field are far better than any other international team out there.
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cressa121 View Post

I hear what ya saying bro, but as most things it's subject to opinion.

My philosophy on football, being a Liverpool fan is possesion is the key. If the opposition dont have the ball they cannot score, Spain are the team that do this to the max. The movement of the players and the patterns they produce on the field are far better than any other international team out there.

Yeah you're right, like I said Spain are very effective, and I can appreciate the technical ability of all the players and the space they create with their passing and movement, and I really don't think there are better midfielders in the world than Xavi and Iniesta, I don't find Spain particularly entertaining because they weren't as attacking this World Cup as they have been at previous tournaments. I appreciate their skill but watching them play doesn't excite me the way watching a more attack minded team would. But like you say its all opinions, and while personally I didn't think Spain played the most entertaining football I can see why some people would

Thread Information