Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I wanna work on my jab

what do you recommend?

What I've been doing is more plyo (clap) push-ups, and a new one I'm trying is I stand about 6-8' from a concrete wall and chest-pass a medicine ball off it as hard as I can for as long as I can. Then I take a short breather and do it again for a few sets.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I wanna work on my jab

Von when doing the medicine ball thing, sit down on a stool. It can fuck your knees up
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The jab is a punch that is the product of not being tense. You must be loose, as in your muscles should be not tight, and the technique of the punch is very important. Exercises such as shadow boxing with hand weights should be under taken with care- for example do not snap out straight punches with hand weights as it is deleterious to your shoulders.
    Try "catching the fly" with your left hand. Shoot it out lke you are trying to snatch $ out of somebody's hand. Learn to time the movemment of your left hand with the movement of your left foot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After trying this, I've re-evaluated my thoughts. Chest passing a heavy ball is a pain, both literally and figuratively. Literally hard on the outsides of your forearms and wrists due to the flick at the end, and figuratively in the sense that there's never anywhere to do it, especially when it comes to throwing it hard.

But I think I found the perfect solution.

Assume a natural boxing stance in front of a heavy bag. Hold a towel or rope with both hands with your fists about 12-15" apart, then just chest pass the heavy bag. let it swing back, but without letting it come all the way back, then cushion it and thrust it away from you again. It's kind of like pushing a child on a swing without letting it come back to the vertical (starting) position. Thus you can't use momentum to help you.

Do it hard and fast and put some real effort behind your "punches". It's amazing how heavy it gets after a few reps. when I first tried it I did a set of 10 and was alread feeling burn in my tri's and shoulders.

you can even make it "heavier" by attaching come bungy cord between it and your waist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    After trying this, I've re-evaluated my thoughts. Chest passing a heavy ball is a pain, both literally and figuratively. Literally hard on the outsides of your forearms and wrists due to the flick at the end, and figuratively in the sense that there's never anywhere to do it, especially when it comes to throwing it hard.

But I think I found the perfect solution.

Assume a natural boxing stance in front of a heavy bag. Hold a towel or rope with both hands with your fists about 12-15" apart, then just chest pass the heavy bag. let it swing back, but without letting it come all the way back, then cushion it and thrust it away from you again. It's kind of like pushing a child on a swing without letting it come back to the vertical (starting) position. Thus you can't use momentum to help you.

Do it hard and fast and put some real effort behind your "punches". It's amazing how heavy it gets after a few reps. when I first tried it I did a set of 10 and was alread feeling burn in my tri's and shoulders.

you can even make it "heavier" by attaching come bungy cord between it and your waist.
    I think Greysnotold is on the right track.....by letting your arm be as relaxed as you can then fire it out. tryin to snatch something out of the air or someones hand is a prefect example....this will make you jab faster and with speed comes power...not the other way around....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks. How's this: I'll do them both.

BTW, that's why I'm approaching it the way I am.... work speed via fast-twitch muscle exercises.... what I'm doing with the bag is more of a plyometric motion. If you don't have bat speed you need to hit the weights, but in the right way. The same could be said of a jab. One more thing, Im loose as a goose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what works for me is that my trainer tells me shoot it out nice n strait and with your muscles loose and when you get close to the target tense and snap the fist..
    nice n powerful, when i was tryin it first it was a lil hard to get perfect every jab but i found when shadow boxing throwing the punches right everytime and getting used to it more helped me put hard jabs together, the same applied with strait right hands, can't get enough of strait right hand leads now!
    peace.
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Repetition,,Repitition,,,Repitition...Is the best way to do it...every workout just do at least 3rds on the bag and throw nothing but jabs...concentrate on form and perfecting it...spend time on binging it back to the same place you started...the jab is a fighters best tool you can use it for everything but a knockout,,,start a combo,,confuse a fighter,,throw off his timing,,keep him off you,,,prevent him from setting his feet,,,it doest need to be hard just accurate,,,Get some tapes of Larry Holmes in his prime...he shows how dangerous a jab is
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    Repetition,,Repitition,,,Repitition...Is the best way to do it...every workout just do at least 3rds on the bag and throw nothing but jabs...concentrate on form and perfecting it...spend time on binging it back to the same place you started...the jab is a fighters best tool you can use it for everything but a knockout,,,start a combo,,confuse a fighter,,throw off his timing,,keep him off you,,,prevent him from setting his feet,,,it doest need to be hard just accurate,,,Get some tapes of Larry Holmes in his prime...he shows how dangerous a jab is
    yeh thats some good stuff,
    but i noticed every one has been saying bout bags n stuff , even i neglected to say you should also try it out in sparring try using your jab for the best part of a few rounds and try from angles, to the body, set up other stuff with your jab, theres no practice like practical!!:P
    and yeh dax bro! holmes knew how to use that shiz!
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by body head banger
    yeh thats some good stuff,
    but i noticed every one has been saying bout bags n stuff , even i neglected to say you should also try it out in sparring try using your jab for the best part of a few rounds and try from angles, to the body, set up other stuff with your jab, theres no practice like practical!!:P
    and yeh dax bro! holmes knew how to use that shiz!

Well sparring is a given it's your chance to work on your moves with a live target that fires back before mistakes count....Sparring is only a small part of training though...You got the idea though you seem like your willing to learn and work on what you learn...Ever get to upstate NY send me an e-mail I have a gym with a few national champions that love working with new guys ( there not dirty and don't take liberties I won't allow it) gives them a chance to work on defense

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi von found a novel way to perfect the jab probably put it up next week. Been very busy

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah, good stuff. Don't anyone get me wrong, my jab is ok, nothing wrong with it. Decent power, snap, form, comes back high. I jsut wanna get one like Ali's was. IMO, he had the most beautiful jab ever.

Scrap, you say that every time. Post the idea or I'll think you were drinking again.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its true, its no good explaining to you somrthing completely new. If nobodys thought of the idea and concept. You forget Ive got an empire to run [ weve got a good film on next week] When you put the elastic between you and the bag make it 3 inch more than your jab, and connect to a wide belt. It will make your feet move and make a better plyometric exercise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ok. cc

Thread Information