Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Starting Boxing - OLD Merged threads.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How should i box

always use gloves! dont go using fatty old sparring gloves, use either competition gloves (10 ounce at the most) or bad mits.

do you have a training partner?

good combinations are jab, cross

jab to the body, jab to the head cross to the head

jab cross hook

left hook straight left uppercut

left uppercut to the body, right hook to the head duck then spring up with a left uppercut to the head

work on them and youll be unstoppable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depends, you can go just wearing handwraps, depending on how tough your hand, wrist, tendons, knuckles etc. are, dont go too hard or you could damage your knuckles, you want to toughen them up gradually!

And I get the feeling you dont use handwraps + gloves together? If not, you should be, when using the heavybag or when you eventually spar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont use Handwraps and gloves yet cos i dont fight yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You should use gloves and handwraps on heavy bags, and mitts, the only time you shouldnt be using gloves and handwraps is when shadow boxing, even then it wouldn't hurt, and get you used to punching with gloves on!

ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES AND HANDWRAPS!

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you take up boxing its very easy to get worked up and anxious, picture yourself knocking opponents around like Popeye did Bluto. But flexibility trumps big muscles more often than not; today we are infested with a bunch of bodybuilders trained for show not go, but if look at film/pictures of the truly great ones they look like strong wellconditioned athletes but you rarely see a muscle defined until that instant before contact. Also keep in mind that the ultimate objective is to not get hit and to hit. Some people reverse that saying but trust me don't get hit then hit. Keep this in minsd; as you develope as a boxer your strengths and weaknesses and your mindset will come to define your style. Whether you end up swarming forward madly, scurrying and floating jabs, whatever, ALWAYS BE A COUNTERPUNCHER. The best were all counter punchers, even the pressure fighters. You come forward in such a way as to draw a particular response- a jab, a right- that you can slip to get close or land a blow to the opening it provides. I tend to be longwinded and in a hurry and lose my train of thought , but I really hope that that last bit made sense to you? If not feel free to get at me and I'll try again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo6
    I have at home a puchbag,mitts,Hand bandages,and hook and jab mitts do i need anything else to do thisto my opponent
    here your asking us how to knock somebody out, but in your other thread youv told us you have knocked out your 12 year old friend. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BOY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he aint that good of a boxer he only been doing it for a week and is 5lbs lighter than me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

so you have actually knocked somone out. im glad we established that.
    i got my first ko not too long ago. i was going for jab to the head and cross to the body. he ducked the jab and *BAM* straight into the body cross, lights out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nobody ever fights me cept my dad, who jst beats the shit out of me. But i rarely go down. I take a pretty good punch .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by muchmoore
    Nobody ever fights me cept my dad, who jst beats the s*** out of me.
    you a redneck by any chance?
    nah im kidding, is your dad your trainer?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How can you not lose balance if you do a jab, right, hook or uppercut combo?!?!

An oldie, to be sure, but an interesting one to drunks on Friday nights To do this combo properly you need to begin in a proper stance; feet under your shoulders , left leg rotated inward , left foot flat, right heel up @ 2" As you jab push off of your right foot, drive the jab arm into complete extension, remembering to bring your right foot up with you, throwing the right as it arrives. Your weight should be over your left leg. Take this opportunity to slide your right foot @ 11/2" to the right, drpping it flat as your weight shifts back and you torque your body back to the right, throwing the hook. Changing the weight on your feet will really help your balance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Starting Boxing - OLD Merged threads.

Hey all...brand new to the boards, and pretty new to the sport.
    Anyways, im 19 years old, never been to the gym a day in my life, do regular situps/pushups and the likes every day. I'm about 5'8.5", around 190 lbs. Pretty muscular (just kind of broadly built). All my boxing experience is from family friends who boxed back in their youth (I know all the basics[turn into punches, types of punches, footwork]) and from a couple of amateur mixed martial arts fights. Only people I have ever boxed are friends and family (all shapes and sizes), but I appear to naturally fall into counterhitting. So onto the question (sorry if its redundant...i couldnt get the search feature working right). Short of hiring a trainer, what would be the best thing for me to be doing right now, trying to get into a better boxing condition? I'm a college student, and can't afford much, so please bear that in mind.

Thanks for the help in advance
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Just Starting Up

what does lbs mean?

and how do i councualte my weight in pounds?

i think i weigh 119pounds

i am 8st7

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are a UK chap, then you propably aware of "stones" as a measure of weight. Here's a tip for you, there are 14 pounds in a stone. If you don't wanna do the math, heres a no-brainer device http://www.onlineconversion.com/ just plug in the numbers and Voyla!
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okay...so about 13.57 stones for all you, and then about 1.53 meters.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Thread Information