User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Calzaghe favouring home comforts

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Calzaghe favouring home comforts

Joe Calzaghe is resisting attempts by promoter Frank Warren to start 2007 with a defence in the United States.
    The super middleweight king defends his WBO, IBF and IBO belts in Manchester on Saturday against Sakio Bika and wants his next fight to also be in Britain.

"I'm probably not going to fight next in America, but I want to keep busy in 2007," said the 34-year-old Welshman.

"I'll fight in February and then maybe try and get a Millennium Stadium date in the summer to fight in Cardiff."

Injury has stymied Calzaghe's plans over his career and he has often only managed one or two fights a year.

But, injury allowing, Calzaghe then wants to fit in a third fight for 2007 around November, with the likes of Bernard Hopkins or fellow Briton Clinton Woods again mentioned.

But first Calzaghe must dispose of the resilient Bika on Saturday night.

Bika put up a good show against WBC champion Markus Beyer in May before the fight was declared a technical draw after four rounds when the champion suffered a bad cut.

Bika will come with a will to win but the idea is to beat that out of him pretty quickly

Joe Calzaghe

"He's going to come determined and confident after being unlucky against Beyer for the WBC title in his last fight a few months back," Calzaghe said.

"But he's going to know within about 30 seconds to a minute that he's not in the ring with Markus Beyer, and he's not been in the ring with anybody as good as me.

"He'll come with a will to win but the idea is to beat that out of him pretty quickly."

Bika, 27, was born in Cameroon but is now based in Australia.

He holds a record of 20-1-2 (13 KOs) since turning professional in 2000, his only defeat a points loss to Sam Soliman in 2002.

Calzaghe faces a red-letter day before Saturday's clash with Bika.

Not only is Wednesday the anniversary of the Welshman lifting the WBO title in 1997, but Calzaghe will also receive an award from The Ring magazine.

Following June's demolition of IBF champ Jeff Lacy, the prestigious publication will give Calzaghe a belt to mark him as the finest super middleweight on the planet.

These belts are difficult to win, with only genuine world-class champions such as Bernard Hopkins and Jose Luis Castillo earning the accolade.

"The Ring magazine is the Bible of boxing, so it's a great honour to receive that award," Calzaghe said.

"Even the great Roy Jones didn't receive it, so it's fantastic and on that Wednesday it will be the nine-year anniversary of my fight against Chris Eubank.

"It's great to collect it and gives me more of a drive to make sure I perform well on Saturday."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe favouring home comforts

he better not fight woods. woods isnt a good opponent for calzaghe. calzaghe would destroy him. what about roy jones or jermain taylor or someone that is half decent. move up to light heavy and fight jones or move down to middleweight to fight taylor or wright. i wouldnt even mind seeing a rematch between hi and lacy

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good read, Ice Cold

Injuries permitting, it would be ideal to see Calzaghe fight 3 times next year....3 fights, with 2 of them biggies...that would be a very healthy 2007...

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Good read, Ice Cold

Injuries permitting, it would be ideal to see Calzaghe fight 3 times next year....3 fights, with 2 of them biggies...that would be a very healthy 2007...
    thanks cc back

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ds91
    he better not fight woods. woods isnt a good opponent for calzaghe. calzaghe would destroy him. what about roy jones or jermain taylor or someone that is half decent. move up to light heavy and fight jones or move down to middleweight to fight taylor or wright. i wouldnt even mind seeing a rematch between hi and lacy
    I would love to see some of those fights come off, but there are always difficult obstacles to overcome...

Taylor doesnt seem to be moving up any time soon and Jones Jr wants no part of Calzaghe IMO. He might say he does put Jones Jr is no longer a player, god knows when he will fight next. A rematch with Lacy is unjustified at this stage. Lacy just needs to get into the ring again to be honest.

I would most of all like Calzaghe to take on the winner of Beyer: Kessler and then go for Woods in a big domestic fight next summer.

Then maybe he could finish off the year with a fight in the states in a supposed "super fight" against one of the over the hill, but still well known older guys....

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Quote Originally Posted by ds91
    I would love to see some of those fights come off, but there are always difficult obstacles to overcome...

Taylor doesnt seem to be moving up any time soon and Jones Jr wants no part of Calzaghe IMO. He might say he does put Jones Jr is no longer a player, god knows when he will fight next. A rematch with Lacy is unjustified at this stage. Lacy just needs to get into the ring again to be honest.

I would most of all like Calzaghe to take on the winner of Beyer: Kessler and then go for Woods in a big domestic fight next summer.

Then maybe he could finish off the year with a fight in the states in a supposed "super fight" against one of the over the hill, but still well known older guys....
    agreed

Thread Information