Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default My Diet

Hey everyone, just wanted to see how my diet looks to you lot as i'm not that clued up on nutrition as some of you and i'm boxing in 4 weeks and still have just over 1kg to lose. I work shifts so my diet is difficult to maintain but this is what I mostly eat on a daily basis.

breakfast: Oats with banana

mid morning: Tuna cucumber wholemeal sandwich

Lunch: Tuna/Chicken salad & Fruit salad

After training Whey Protein shake

Evening meal: Chicken or fish with veg.

What do you guys think for losing weight is that too much/too little? Cheers for your advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My Diet

Should add some times I have eggs on toast rather that oats for breakfast and omelette rather than salad for lunch just like to switch it around as I get bored.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi there Southpawwolves...
    As an overview it looks like a really clean general diet, nothing wrong with it.
    But to optimise training and shed weight you could tweak it a small bit. Im going to keep it as natural as I can, there are supplements that you can take to fuel you well, but I couldn't go advising anything. I am very much not a doctor

To boost the metabolism, small regular meals are excellent. Think 6 meals- one every 3 hours.
    Another boost and a great way to help shed weight is to wake to a [COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"]cold [/COLOR]litre of water.

Breakfast; Oats and bananai
    This isn't bad, but its a bit of a contradiction. Oats are a slow release clean carbohydrate- thats great.
    Banana's are a fruit very rich in natural sugar- a very very quick releasing carbohydrate.
    The banana will trigger an insulin spike, which will cause your body to digest as much as it can. So the oats are less efficient.
    I think for breakfast your good clean carbs should be accompanied by some nice protein.
    My suggestion; 100g Oats, poached eggs.

mid morning: Tuna cucumber wholemeal sandwich
    Again this isn't bad, but to me it looks like it came from Mens Fitness
    I think Bread is evil, its the one thing that slows my own weight loss.
    For me it'd be more fun to have something sweet here, something to improve the mood and keep those cravings at bay. Honeydew Watermelons act as a suppressent to appetite and taste pretty good. Alternatively, Dark Chocolate of Cocoa mass 75% will help boost seratonin- the feel good hormone and will conquer the craving for carbs later.
    Lunch; (i) Honeydew Melon, with low fat yoghurt.
    (ii) 3 small squares of dark chocolate, seeds & fruit.

Pre Training
    It sounds to me like you have a few hours before you train, so you should fuel your workout with some simple carbs a half hour to an hour before. This is as basic as some fruit.
    Pre Training; 1 apple, 1 kiwi

After training; Whey Protein shake
    Here's where I'd use that banana. Right here we want that insulin spike to help us absorb that protein into the muscles used boxing. Banana immediatly after, whey within 20 mins.
    After Training; Banana, Whey Protein.

Evening meal: Chicken or fish with veg.
    Your evening meal isn't bad at all. Great lean protein, very little carbs and great sources of micro nutr I'd probably advise keeping it, but try add a handful of nuts. Buts are an excellent source of both protein a essential fats. They actually help weight loss and the likes of Brazill nuts can boost testosterone. You need only <50g of these.
    Evening Meal; Chicken/Fish, Vegetables, 50g nuts.

Before Bed
    Your body is still working at night and if hungry will go catabolic, start attacking lean muscle and make you wake up hungry. Casein protein is a slow slow release protein that can cater to the bodies demands. You can get a shake, but I'll offer some alternatives. Vitamin C at this point always aids my sleep, as does Tulsi Tea. The Vitamin C also keeps the immune system operational.

ZMA is a wonderful product for enhancing sleep and boosting testosterone naturally. London is the capital of England. These are just random facts, I'm not pushing a product!
    "Before Bed; Half a tub of Cottage cheese, A large Orange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Awesome response donny! Look forward to taking in your advice. I agree about the bread slowing down your weight loss. I find that too. Just a shame i love bread. But if its gotta go its gotta go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ps today i skipped the tuna sandwiches and went for tuna salad with honey dew water melon as i get hungry at work!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wish I could transfer some of my dedication from other things to food. I just never seem to be able to. I just love food too much.

I read a menu like that and think I could do that no problem. But then after a few days I'm even having dreams about bread and pasta! I just find a no fat/ carb diet bland. I'd love to have the disapline you have.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keep it up southpaw mate, its worth it

Yeah james mate, I understand. I normally hate the cheesy motivational lines, but the one referring to Habit really does pave the road to results.
    I find just pre preparing and eating at alotted times helps a lot.
    That and I don't carry cash in my wallet; kills the imulse buys after training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I tried poached eggs in my oatmeal today. Just didnt taste right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Coconut oil is the only oil we use for cooking. I also take a tbs twice a day: apparently, it helps to increase metabolism.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawwolves View Post
    I tried poached eggs in my oatmeal today. Just didnt taste right
    I meant on the side dude, sorry

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You guys have inspired me to have a go at being better. So thanks. Used @Donny day plan on a day I had to play two 40 minute, back to back five a side football games and felt quite lively through it. Suprisingly.

Going to try cut out fat and bread/ dirty carbs.

2 full days in, so far so good!

Couldn't have just oats in the morning as they made me want to cry as they were so bland and awful. But have gone for a sugar and salt free, fruit and nut muesli and oat bag. Tastes ok, I'm guessing it's good for me? (considering I'd normally skip breakfast it's definitely better than that!)

Snacking on fruit during the day, then having a normal meal, just smaller portions in evening. (can't go from one extreme to the other too quick or I will struggle too much and probably fall off the wagon)

Now doing 30 minutes of bag work in the morning before muesli and day job. Although some days that's all the exercise I'll end up doing. But hey, I'm not a pro fighter, I'm just getting fit/ not fat.
    Last edited by 0james0; 09-04-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Thread Information