Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillian Whyte WBO objection overruled as Oleksandr Usyk becomes heavyweight mandatory

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Dillian Whyte WBO objection overruled as Oleksandr Usyk becomes heavyweight mandatory

Dillian Whyte loses out again as the WBO discount his appeal and make their ’Super champion’ Oleksandr Usyk the mandatory challenger at heavyweight

One would have to possess a heart of stone to not by now feel some semblance of sympathy for Brixton heavyweight contender Dillian Whyte. Still embroiled in a long-running saga with the WBC regarding their mandatory challenger position, he has now seen Oleksandr Usyk leapfrog him in the WBO reckoning.

When a WBO title-holder is designated as a ’Super champion’ - as the Ukranian was after unifying all the major cruiserweight titles when winning the World Boxing Super Series last July - they inherit certain special rights that include being named mandatory challenger immediately upon entering a new division. This is at the WBO’s discretion but such a request is rarely refused.

It should be noted that Usyk’s team did not make this request after their decision to move up to heavyweight or once his debut in the division was scheduled for May against Carlos Takam - a bout later cancelled after Usyk suffered an injury. No, Usyk’s team made their bid on June 3, the first business day following Amthony Joshua surprisingly losing three major heavyweight belts - the WBO included - to Andy Ruiz Jr. Opportunism sure, but can we really blame them?

Well, Whyte’s team could and with good reason, given Dillian is the WBO No. 1 and their International champion. They lodged an appeal, contending Usyk’s request on several levels, including his lack of experience at heavyweight, Whyte’s fine run of form in the division and Usyk’s injury potentially making him unavailable. The latter’s team posited that his dearth of fights at heavyweight was irrelevant given the Super champion privileges and produced a medical report to prove Usyk was now fit and could, if asked, fulfil the mandatory challenge in his next fight. They furthermore pointed out that Whyte had a fight scheduled, for July 20 against Oscar Rivas.

Whyte’s team then asked the WBO to delay any decision until after Whyte-Rivas as a victory there could add further credibility to their man’s claim.

Ultimately the WBO ruled in Usyk’s favour, making him the mandatory and leaving Whyte in the cold.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dillian Whyte WBO objection overruled as Oleksandr Usyk becomes heavyweight manda

Keep in mind the wbo is also the organization that twice promoted a dead fighter in their rankings and also had one Tom Schwartz ranked 2nd best hvy in the world . Keeps it in perspective. They always seem to fast track a lot of better known trinket holders right into top slots when they move up regardless of never fighting there. They're more about the brand than the actual division merit and that's with big respects to Usyk who will surely make his own way without some 'honorary title'. It's as basic as Whyte currently #1 set to fight Rivas #4, with a win it's clearly crooked to essentially demote a #1 mandatory for winning. At the end of the day though..it's just a trinket.

Usyk v Whyte..let's have it .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dillian Whyte WBO objection overruled as Oleksandr Usyk becomes heavyweight manda

As much as I don't like Dillian and think he's shit, I do feel for him now and I'm surprised he hasn't been given a title shot yet.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im fucking shitfaced but you guys are very zsolid posters and the jiast is Whythe vs usyk is a good fight, so i concur.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Im fucking shitfaced but you guys are very zsolid posters and the jiast is Whythe vs usyk is a good fight, so i concur.
    I'm going to try posting whilst shitfaced, it looks like fun after reading your post.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As long as Whyte is getting good money, and I am sure he is, then the title should not matter much to him.

Dillan has fought good fighters available to him and he has been entertaining.

Whyte having the WBO title is not that prestigious and he is bigger and better than that particular title.

I am sure Whyte is content just to keep fighting and winning away from the boxing politics.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yep I'm no Whyte fan but this is wrong.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    As long as Whyte is getting good money, and I am sure he is, then the title should not matter much to him.

Whyte having the WBO title is not that prestigious and he is bigger and better than that particular title.

I am sure Whyte is content just to keep fighting and winning away from the boxing politics.
    So are we just going to keep airbrushing from history the fact that Whyte has turned down World Title shots because he felt he was worth more money? despite the fact that he's never fought for a World title. He turned down an opportunity, Ruiz never, and look where Ruiz is now.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

So are we just going to keep airbrushing from history the fact that Whyte has turned down World Title shots because he felt he was worth more money? despite the fact that he's never fought for a World title. He turned down an opportunity, Ruiz never, and look where Ruiz is now.
    I said he is content with what he is doing because he is making decent fights and good money.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I said he is content with what he is doing because he is making decent fights and good money.
    I was talking about the above statement in bold.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was referring to the WBO title, and yes Whyte is better than that second rate title.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was referring to the WBO title, and yes Whyte is better than that second rate title.
    Why is he “better” than a legitimate World title? Come on@Master, have a day off will ya !

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whyte can only be blamed for himself.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    As much as I don't like Dillian and think he's shit, I do feel for him now and I'm surprised he hasn't been given a title shot yet.
    Dillian Whytw is being dicked around. Sorta like DAvid Tua. He deserves a title shot- actually, he should be fighting Wilder rather than Wilder fighting Ortiz for the second time.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=Primo Carnera;1522904]

I am sure Whyte is content just to keep fighting and winning away from the boxing politics.[/QW UOTE]
    Why is he “better” than a legitimate World title? Come on@Master, have a day off will ya !
    WBO title is for 2nd tier/division champions.

Thread Information