Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How about Hagler vs RJJ ?

this is getting redundant to say but nevertheless i love saying it

Prime Roy Jones Jr. destroys, beats, stops, wins, walks away the victor, retains the title, wins the title against any fighter @ 175 and below in the history of boxing....and yes "any" means every....
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At 160 I'd go with Hagler
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hagler was the best middleweight I have ever seen. He really had everything: conditioning, dedication, heart, ATG chin, pride, desire, boxing ability, big punch and a chip on his shoulder!. At his peak, I don't think he any major weaknesses (anyone who starts quoting things will really only be mentioning things he was less good at, not what he was bad at).

Yes, Leonard pulled a con job on him - jabbing and moving, pitty pat flurries etc. It was a fantastic exhibition of skill and nerve. However, not only was Marvin past his best by then, but I am not entirely convinced Sugar Ray won!

Jones is a great boxer, no doubt about it. But his skill was based on his fantastic reflexes rather than any true grounding in effective techniques - he was a real natural talent.

I think this would be great matchup, but I know that Jones would not have been able to make any dents in Hagler or stop him. I am not sure if he had the nerve of Ray Leonard to flirt so close to disaster and remain balanced and graceful under that pressure (because of what I said about technique). I always had a suspicion that Jones was a bit gun-shy, even at his best, and I think that the Marvelous One would have caught up with him as some point and forced him to exchange. Once that happended there would only be one winner.

Alternatively, whan faced with a superior 'boxer' with a big punch who he probably genuinely though was top class (Hearns), Marvin came out like a kamikaze. I think he would have blitzed Jones (I also wonder whay he didn't do that against a ring-rusty Leonard rather than allow him to get setlled)

A great matchup between two genuine GREATS, though.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's great that Jones is being touted as an all time great, as he was SO talented.

I would always question his quality of opposition compared to someone like Hagler. Jones did not get the opportunity to face the Leonard's, Hearns, Duran, Mugabis etc. Hagler also fought some real tough cookies on his way up.

That's not to claim that Jones is a worse fighter, as it's not his fault that those calibre guys were not around (though I really rate Toney's quality) or he didn't fight them .... its just a question that Hagler has answered and Jones has not.

I never saw Jones gut out a war or close decison either, and again that is purely a question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tooooooooooooooooooooo much speed hagler would get hit too many times..and yea marvin was as tough as they come and impossible to hurt with one punch..

but roy had just as much if not more power than hagler..and he'd hit hagler with too many punches and stop him late 10 or 11 maybe even 12..but hagler gets stopped

the funny thing about this is hagler beat a roy jones in 1977 by tko..but the roy we're speaking of stops him...

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again is hard to call but if Jones is as god as i think then ud for Roy
    But you gotto love Marvin a real hard man
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather
    tooooooooooooooooooooo much speed hagler would get hit too many times..and yea marvin was as tough as they come and impossible to hurt with one punch..

but roy had just as much if not more power than hagler..and he'd hit hagler with too many punches and stop him late 10 or 11 maybe even 12..but hagler gets stopped

the funny thing about this is hagler beat a roy jones in 1977 by tko..but the roy we're speaking of stops him...
    Of all the possible oucomes I would say Hagler getting stopped is the least likely. If Lou De Valle can go the distance with RJJ so can The Marvelous One
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

for you X.
    A super post.
    I really liked RJJ but for my money Hagler was the better at middleweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H

Of all the possible oucomes I would say Hagler getting stopped is the least likely. If Lou De Valle can go the distance with RJJ so can The Marvelous One
    yeah a lot of people went the distance that shouldn't have..but then a group of tough non-stoppable guys got stopped by roy like sosa, malinga, and hill....

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H

Agreed - I have seen nearly all of Hagler's fights (all his career) and never even seen him wobbled. I think he faced some people who hit harder than Jones.

In fact, the ONLY 'legitimate' knockdown he ever suffered was definitely a slip, against Juan Roldan.

I suspect that it would take someone like a Light-heavyweight nuclear hitter like Bob Foster to even make Hagler blink!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jonesjrmayweather
    u wrote

the funny thing about this is hagler beat a roy jones in 1977 by tko..but the roy we're speaking of stops him.

did they fight in sparring

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by artest2000
    jonesjrmayweather
    u wrote

the funny thing about this is hagler beat a roy jones in 1977 by tko..but the roy we're speaking of stops him.

I doubt it Hagler said he never put a pair of boxing gloves on after the Leonard fight plus when Hagler retired Roy Jones was still an amateur so i doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Quote Originally Posted by artest2000
    jonesjrmayweather
    u wrote

I doubt it Hagler said he never put a pair of boxing gloves on after the Leonard fight plus when Hagler retired Roy Jones was still an amateur so i doubt it.
    no there was a fighter named roy jones that fought pro, but not roy jones jr...

check him out

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=017113

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BLASFEMIE !!
    How can you compare Hagler with the likes of Sosa and Malinga ?

Thread Information