Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Best way to get power in bodyshots

What do you think the best way to get power in your uppercuts to body/bodyshots it?

I was talking to one of my coaches about it last night.

He basically said he won't tell me how to do it I've just got to get on the bag and find my rhythm there.

He did tell me while doing pad work that I'm trying to bend at the knees too much - I should bend at the hips instead and throw my weight into it so if I miss I will fall over -

Only I feel weird doing that coz - what if my opponent moves?!?

I know there is something to what he's saying though - finding your own rhythm etc to get power.

So my Q to all the trainers is - how do you get power in the uppercut and to what point do you agree with my coach - that i just have to flog the bag more?

Thanks*
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Best way to get power in bodyshots

The secret is not to lean and foot placement.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you shift your weight into your hooks and uppercuts. Rhythem has something to do with it. If your opponent moves back you just stick to your whatever plan you have, be careful and keep track of the distance, if they move in there's a few tactics that are available. One important aspect I don't think that they teach much nowadays is shifting with your opponent. Say for instance you sense that your opponent is trowing a left hook to your body, you shift into it and nail him with a right uppercut, or if they're throwing a right to your body you can shift into it driving a left hook to their body. This attacks their exposed body while simultaneously defending yourself with your arms/shoulder. You can continue to work their body until they drop their guard, then when they do you can shift the attack to their head. Practice it in sparring, and try to get you imagination working while you are shadowboxing and working the bag.

That's one good tactic that you should practice I can go over others if you're interested, some is simply side-stepping forwards, and others ivolve shifts or pushing to switch up the attack and set up your shots.

Here's a recap on a couple blows:

Left Uppercut to the Body
    Bend sideward, to the left and slightly forward not too far, until your left elbow is almost touching your thigh a few inches below your beltline. Your left arm should be carried in about a half-bent angle but no greater, the forearm should be almost parallel to the ground with your palm facing up. Your right elbow should remain close to your body, with you forearm protecting the right side of your body and your face. Turn your left shoulder and hip to the right, carrying your left arm to the centerline of your body. Straighten out your body and drive your left to their body, usually aiming for their solar-plexus.

Keep in mind that you bend your body sideways and slight forward, that your left arm should be carried in a about 90 degrees. Pivot your body towards the centerline, and straighten your body out to drive your shot into their solar-plexus.

If you want to avoid theirs then just step back a few inches, or get off the ropes if you're there, you can block or parry it until you can assume your distance again. It's okay crouch or duck before your shots, as long as you're able shift your weight from one leg to another, and that you're feet allow this.

If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks CC Chris - just a few things I don't quite understand about what you've written:

What do you mean by "straighten your body out"? and I do feel I have reasonable hooks so if I am meant to feel something similar with my body shots maybe you could explain that and I might (hopefully) get it.

At the moment I'm still at the stage of trying to get good power in the body shots just in pad work so am not sure I have too many timing issues with actual application. More trouble making the punch count than getting it in.

Thanks for the description of how far to lean - I'll think about that during training tonight and see if I can't make it work.

So Scrap if I'm not meant to lean then I AM meant to be bending my knees a lot? Is that right? Perhaps using footwork to step with it in some cases?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not always, since you asked how to get more power into a shot, this drives more of your body into it. Make sure you pivot into your shot shifting your weight from one foot to another into the shot before you uppercut. While you are practicing this keep in mind of your partner's right hand, especially that your left hook opens yourself up for it.

You want to lean slightly forward bending your legs as well to get your arm on level to where you're going to punch. Don't bend your knees too much or it'll be harder to move, and don't stay in one spot unless you're trying to set something up. Don't be a sitting duck. You don't necessarily have to step in with your shot unless you're trying to move into a better angle, and keep in mind where you're going to be usually away from their stronger arm, it'll be better if you can make him adjust/turn and you should be ready when they do.

Here's another one you should take note, on the inside find out if they are square shouldered or if they have just one arm forward. Because in the infight if you have just one arm forward, you're limited to attacking with one arm until you shift or adjust your stance. Sometimes it's better to square shouldered such as in this case because you can attack from either fist which is more offensive, while the left side forward would be limited in it's attack and more towards using the left side to defend with. Just some things to think about...
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Sharla, don't forget to use the search feature, you look up any subject on the trainer's board, you can also select the name of the poster you want answers from such as greynotsoold, Scrap, ThomasTabin, and Andre.

It's a wealth of knowledge and I use it on a regular basis. It's a great resource, sometimes it saves you the time you'd spend trying to find it out otherwise.

Here's a really good post by Grey that I was reading yesterday that I want to tie into this discussion:
    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    One of the reasons that many boxers don't work to the body is the fear of getting beaten to a pulp by exposing one's self to right hand counters and such. You cn get around this by working from the outside position, once you accept that there are body blows beyond the left hook to the liver area. This particular example seems odd at first but try it a time or two and you'll find that it works and, being rather old fashioned, is unexpected. To begin, your opponent leads with a straight left, parry to the outside position with your right hand. At the same time, drop your left arm til perpendicular with the floor and take a quick step with your left foot to a position outside (eg you'll step across) your opponent's left foot. As the weight shifts to the left leg whip your left up and in to the solar plxus. Continue through with the step- bring your right foot along- pivoting on your left foot back to your starting position. This leaves you in a good place to land a right or a left hook. Timing and a sharp quick twist of the hips can make this an effective punch and it is very difficult for him to counter you.
    I once had my middle knuckle on the right hand hurt a ton throwing an uppercut to the body that somehow ran into an elbow... But if you work them off of your defense- slip a right, for example, then hook the liver- you get better shots and less interference. And, actually, if you place your shots well and land them at the right times, it doesn't take a thousand body punches to slow somebody considerably.
    SOme stuff on the left uppercut:
    The left uppercut is one of my favorites because everybody is a sucker for that punch. Try slipping a jab over your right shoulder-wt onto the left leg,turn hip and shoulder slightly to the left-and throw the uppercut to the chin. Keys to the move: let the punch barely miss, move no more than necessary, don'tdrop your left hand, make the move fast; lean forward and backimmediately, driving the punch with the hips as the wt goes back to the rt leg. Raise your heavy bag and you can practice this punch off the bottom. It should be a very short inside punch to chin solar plexus, unless you are tall for your wt; at 5' 9" Carlos Zarate at 118lbs was very successful countyering everything with the left upper to the liver.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its all to do with levels distance and direction whether youre outside or in. you need a wider stance in than you need out. Ive always found using a large tyre good for standing on while doing body work on the pads, its a laugth.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

squat a bit.. ( sit) thrusting with the legs simultaneously rotating with the hip and shoulder all in one motion to the body. snap crackle and pop.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    squat a bit.. ( sit) thrusting with the legs simultaneously rotating with the hip and shoulder all in one motion to the body. snap crackle and pop.
    That summed up the power bit in fewer words, this is assuming that the stance and alignment is spot on.

By the way, LG I notcie you have a new avatar every once in a while. I recognize that picture as the split nose Ezzard Charles gave Rocky spurring him all to put it all on the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    That summed up the power bit in fewer words, this is assuming that the stance and alignment is spot on.

By the way, LG I notcie you have a new avatar every once in a while. I recognize that picture as the split nose Ezzard Charles gave Rocky spurring him all to put it all on the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    Thanks CC Chris - just a few things I don't quite understand about what you've written:

What do you mean by "straighten your body out"? and I do feel I have reasonable hooks so if I am meant to feel something similar with my body shots maybe you could explain that and I might (hopefully) get it.

At the moment I'm still at the stage of trying to get good power in the body shots just in pad work so am not sure I have too many timing issues with actual application. More trouble making the punch count than getting it in.

Thanks for the description of how far to lean - I'll think about that during training tonight and see if I can't make it work.

So Scrap if I'm not meant to lean then I AM meant to be bending my knees a lot? Is that right? Perhaps using footwork to step with it in some cases?
    I think what he's saying here
    Bring your shoulder up,drive your hips but drive them upward,straightening out your body

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Correct Monkey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's explained a lot. I'll keep that all in mind - and I'll start looking for a tyre CC Scrap. Lucky I grew up with older brothers and am now immue to laughter, finger pointing and taunting 

My left shoulder has been a bit sore since working bodyshots on Monday - possibly a result of leaning too far to the left from my hips and swinging the punch in from somewhere dangling out rather than closer to the side of my body?

I will do  search next time I have a Q Chris as you're right - lots of info there. Thanks for digging those bits up for me  CC in 24h

Thanks CC Monkey and Lords for the extra info too. Sometimes it's the little comments like those that helps makes all the rest of this info click. I took up boxing because I found it difficult so a lot of this is not easy for me to get.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you start standing on a tire post some pix, so we can laugh at you and show our support.

Yeah, you gotta get used to the search feature, especially because these posts don't stay on forever.

Here's a couple posts which are right on the tee:

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    Just talking what you asked for (more power on body shots)

For someone in the opposite stance to you ;You can about face and get off a rib shot under a jab that you have just avoided. You stay in your front stance as you turn away your rear glove comes up to the side/back of your head as the other glove goes in hard under the jab.
    Its followed by another hook but up high. Its a one two move and you slide in on the second hook with turn.
    Takes practice but well worth while.
    You can do it in same stance too but you have to pull your front foot around to the rear so you switch as the jab comes in,then it works for that situation too.

To gain more power on kidney area and side body shots; (seeing your out to the side slightly when the opening presents itself) you can turn your rear foot outwards away from your other foot, slide the heel in and it twists your hips and body weight fully into the blow; if you step backwards and slightly out on an angle first it actually takes you away from their rear arm threat as you go.
    the arm you attack under isnt a threat if its already expended and you have made contact.

That works best when they are in the oppostite stance to you or when you are both fighting square.
    It works well in same stance too ,but you have to be more aware of their rear arm as its closer.

Double hooks ,low then high should be practiced as those openings occur on their reactions to the first hit.

Works high / low too.
    To triple up even works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    MAybe try having your fist vertical and elbow down ,the shoulder and hip movment follows through easier and more naturally that way.
    Your (same side ) leg /foot muscles can follow right up behind the movement for more power too.

IF your square shouldered to the target you can turn your right foots heel in towards the target on imact for added power as well.

I think hooks should be mentally thought of like 'fast snaps' with correct weight and movement backing them up,for speed that is.
    Unlike a swing with movment behind it.
    Hope that makes sence.

Practice them on a floor to ceiling ball or mits.
    Great stuff, don't dismiss any of the technical stuff because it's difficult or that you're more interested in your body's mechanics, it's a sweet science for a reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sharla,try to isolate your hips.Dont throw any punches,just isolate the movement of how your hips should be moving in to the shot.
    In theory there should be nothing interesting there,but Im pretty sure Chris and I were both thinking in terms of training a male boxer.
    Now my methods have worked for Fuer,but she may be the exception,not the rule
    Id be curious to see how it feels to you,when your isolating,as one of the major diferences(other then the pretty damned obvious ones)between male and female fighters,is the hips,and their angle.

Thread Information