530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Muhammad Ali to Lead the parade at Olympic openings

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Whenever the subject of Ali comes up, I always think of Joe Frazier.... and of how sad it is that Joe never found it in his heart to finally forgive Ali for all the insults back in the 70's. Maybe I'm wrong... but Joe seemed to find some satisfaction in Ali's condition and probably hinted at how he (Frazier) had at least partially caused that. How sad it must be to go to your grave still holding a mega-grudge like that.
    It wasn't a grudge based on some perceived injustice, it was a result of Ali's classless behaviour. For a relatively cosseted Black man from a middle class neighbourhood to call a another Black guy who came from real poverty a Gorilla and Uncle Tom shows a remarkable lack of empathy. Joe's kids coming home in tears because everyone at school had called their Daddy a Gorilla really brings home that callousness. Years later and you are patronizingly pitying Joe for not forgiving Ali.

Yeah.... pretty much like you will never get past the fact that I don't share your view that Joe Calzaghe walked on water. You've put a bullseye on my back ever since.

Get over it.

But to answer your ignorant response... I'm not passing judgement over whether Joe's bitterness was warranted or not. I'm merely stating a fact that holding a grudge till the day you die is something that has to eat you up inside. Forgiving.... truly forgiving.... is quite liberating. For instance, I've already forgiven you for being quite the twat.

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whenever the subject of Ali comes up, I always think of Joe Frazier.... and of how sad it is that Joe never found it in his heart to finally forgive Ali for all the insults back in the 70's. Maybe I'm wrong... but Joe seemed to find some satisfaction in Ali's condition and probably hinted at how he (Frazier) had at least partially caused that. How sad it must be to go to your grave still holding a mega-grudge like that.
    It wasn't a grudge based on some perceived injustice, it was a result of Ali's classless behaviour. For a relatively cosseted Black man from a middle class neighbourhood to call a another Black guy who came from real poverty a Gorilla and Uncle Tom shows a remarkable lack of empathy. Joe's kids coming home in tears because everyone at school had called their Daddy a Gorilla really brings home that callousness. Years later and you are patronizingly pitying Joe for not forgiving Ali.

Yeah.... pretty much like you will never get past the fact that I don't share your view that Joe Calzaghe walked on water. You've put a bullseye on my back ever since.

Get over it.

But to answer your ignorant response... I'm not passing judgement over whether Joe's bitterness was warranted or not. I'm merely stating a fact that holding a grudge till the day you die is something that has to eat you up inside. Forgiving.... truly forgiving.... is quite liberating. For instance, I've already forgiven you for being quite the twat.

? And exactly how is my reply ignorant. Not only am I not a huge Calzaghe fan, I really do not have a bullseye in your back. Your own reply betrays a childishness that hopefully you will one day grow out of. I am neither advocating bearing grudges nor hating on Ali. I would no more judge Ali's arrogance than try and guess what lay in Joe Fraziers heart, and boy did he have a big heart.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE PHILOSOPHER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    http://www.boxingscene.com/muhammad-ali-lead-parade-olympics-opening--55349

What a guy !
    Here's the correct way to post that link:

Muhammad Ali To Lead Parade at The Olympics Opening - Boxing News
    Im on the iPhone, sorry about that.
    It's all good bro, I didn't know if you knew..

I think it's time for some of the people who still show animosity towards Ali to give it a rest. The man has tried his best to make amends over the years for the indiscretions of his youth. He's sick, frail, and likely doesn't have much longer to live, leading the Parade at The Olympics in London could be his way of saying goodby to all of us.
    People always forget the times he grew up in and how he was treated..The man is probably the greatest sportsman to have ever lived for the way he transcended sports.

I do think this will be a sad day though. The last time he made a public appearance at an event was a baseball game and it was quite heartbreaking to see the state he was in. Do a google search for "Ali baseball game" and you should see the video.
    Poor cassius making all those millions, travelling the world and wailing about white devils...

I think a woman working 3 jobs to support her family and save their home is more of a Super Star than a sports figure
    Me too, but this is the opening of a sporting event so better its Ali than the single mum.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.boxingscene.com/muhammad-ali-lead-parade-olympics-opening--55349

What a guy !
    Here's the correct way to post that link:

Muhammad Ali To Lead Parade at The Olympics Opening - Boxing News
    Im on the iPhone, sorry about that.
    It's all good bro, I didn't know if you knew..

I think it's time for some of the people who still show animosity towards Ali to give it a rest. The man has tried his best to make amends over the years for the indiscretions of his youth. He's sick, frail, and likely doesn't have much longer to live, leading the Parade at The Olympics in London could be his way of saying goodby to all of us.
    People always forget the times he grew up in and how he was treated..The man is probably the greatest sportsman to have ever lived for the way he transcended sports.

I do think this will be a sad day though. The last time he made a public appearance at an event was a baseball game and it was quite heartbreaking to see the state he was in. Do a google search for "Ali baseball game" and you should see the video.
    Poor cassius making all those millions, travelling the world and wailing about white devils...

I think a woman working 3 jobs to support her family and save their home is more of a Super Star than a sports figure.
    Firstly, relax yourself and understand that you're thinking with your 2012 head on. Imagine being called a N***er regularly, your parents not being given the same opportunities as others and looked at as second class citizens as well as not being able to get a seat at restaurant even when you've won a gold medal? Shit, I'd be bitter and call my families oppressors "devils" too.

I have no idea what your second sentences relevance was to what I said? I stated, "The man is probably the greatest sportsman to have ever lived for the way he transcended sports."

I feel that's a fair statement. Where does a woman working 3 jobs come into this? In context of what I said, are you then saying this woman is a bigger sports star than Ali? You make no sense..again, relax, breathe deep and think about it.

There is no doubt in my mind that he was a great, great man though. Refusing to go to war in Vietnam makes him a war hero to me. He was right all along and the atrocities commited in that war are still plain to see today in Vietnam. A real war hero refuses to partake in the act in my book.

He is a polarizing figure, no doubt. Everyone has their own wildly varying opinion of him.
    Ali has prematurely aged, he's frail, his body has been ravaged by pugilistic dementia and he probably doesn't have long to live.
    Love him or hate him, Ali is a hero/icon to many all over the world, and the great old champion deserves respect at this stage of his life.
    He does.

Unfortunately many of the uneducated onlookers will say "look at what all those shots to the head have done."

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Get over it.

? And exactly how is my reply ignorant. Not only am I not a huge Calzaghe fan, I really do not have a bullseye in your back. Your own reply betrays a childishness that hopefully you will one day grow out of. I am neither advocating bearing grudges nor hating on Ali. I would no more judge Ali's arrogance than try and guess what lay in Joe Fraziers heart, and boy did he have a big heart.

Accusing me of "patronizingly pitying Joe" sounds pretty ignorant to me, where I was doing nothing of the sort. I clearly explained how I was not passing judgement on either man... just commenting on how holding grudges till you die cannot be good for your physical or spiritual health.

Now fuck off.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The N word is a rife on the vast majority of mainstream music CD's eminating from the united states!

My parents were not given any opportunities, they worked hard and forced open doors that were slamed in there faces! They now run there own successful business yet both grew up on council estates! Try being working class in england and then tell me you dont have to struggle to really make it!
    That's exactly what I am. So, nobody working class can have that opinion of Ali? I was raised by a single mum my most of my youth and all of my teen years working two jobs..I don't know why you keep bringing up B.S like "they're the real stars!" - Of course they are, but we're talking about sport!!

The reason why Ali was great is because most sports stars are puppets to the media. Talking from a script. Ali did so much to expose racism and refuse to go to war when it was never beneficial for him to do so. That is what defines him. Who else has had that much impact??

You have a voice and what you choose to do with it is up to you..especially in a time when it was unpopular to do so. He wasn't always right by any stretch of the imagination but you knew he was genuine. It helps that he was a handy boxer too. Maybe not the "greatest" in that sense..but he's up there. You still haven't shown my initial statement about him to be wrong..

And don't talk to me about buying into media hyperbole! If I bought into media hyperbole I'd be doing that whole nonsense, "support our troops!" or "help the heroes!" - I don't support any troops nor think they are heroes. That always goes over well..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Get over it.

Accusing me of "patronizingly pitying Joe" sounds pretty ignorant to me, where I was doing nothing of the sort. I clearly explained how I was not passing judgement on either man... just commenting on how holding grudges till you die cannot be good for your physical or spiritual health.

Now fuck off.
    Didn't you see the sign outside...? it says

"Don't Feed the Troll"

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali was a loudmouthed shit talking punk that did his best to make a dignified activity into pro wrestling. the Universe struck him back and silenced him, thank the heavens. Why people continue to make him into something he never was, and never intended to be, is beyond me. He was, at best, an everyday regular man that got put onto a pedestal he never aspired to (he wasn't that much of a man...bring it on...)and the most overrated fighter of all time.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Get over it.

Now fuck off.
    Didn't you see the sign outside...? it says

"Don't Feed the Troll"

Beanz is just sore ever since I told him Calzaghe wasn't the greatest boxer ever to walk the Earth. And now he insultingly disagrees with me on any subject I happen to post on. Then he accuses me of being childish. What a joke...

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Althugz and @TitoFan you are both going way off subject here and are sounding pretty desperate with your silly troll accusations. Again you bring up Calzaghe and project a fanboy persona onto me that most other posters are well aware exists only in your two tiny minds. If you can't be men and discuss the subject in hand like a grown up then maybe you should both take a deep breath and STFU.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the years when Ali had the ability to articulate he all too often acted like a dick. He was a religious bigot, he was a racist, he was against female emancipation, he was a habitual cheat. The only redeeming factor was that he was a good fighter. As a human being Ali is a tiny, little man. It makes me laugh how the idiot teeming masses look up to this man.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    In the years when Ali had the ability to articulate he all too often acted like a dick. He was a religious bigot, he was a racist, he was against female emancipation, he was a habitual cheat. The only redeeming factor was that he was a good fighter. As a human being Ali is a tiny, little man. It makes me laugh how the idiot teeming masses look up to this man.

He stood by his convictions and beliefs at his own expense, I think thats why some people look up to him.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

partially due to the fact that if he wasn't as brash, wasn't outspoken, there would still be plenty of people with veils over there eyes, it's easy to criticize the man for how he expressed himself and his actions, but what would you do if your people were chased down in the streets, had dogs literally let loose on them, had to stunt your potential regardless of your academic accomplishments, because even if you graduated at the top of your class with a 4.0 GPA to everyone else you were still a Nigger

plenty can criticize but if you were in the same situation how many of you would have had the balls to do anything, especially when you didn't have it as bad as the rest of your own people

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    partially due to the fact that if he wasn't as brash, wasn't outspoken, there would still be plenty of people with veils over there eyes, it's easy to criticize the man for how he expressed himself and his actions, but what would you do if your people were chased down in the streets, had dogs literally let loose on them, had to stunt your potential regardless of your academic accomplishments, because even if you graduated at the top of your class with a 4.0 GPA to everyone else you were still a Nigger

plenty can criticize but if you were in the same situation how many of you would have had the balls to do anything, especially when you didn't have it as bad as the rest of your own people
    In the same situation I would choose not to be a religious zealot, nor cover up women whilst I box topless, nor hate on people of a different colour, nor cheat like my brain was only connected with my penis. A nob is a nob and Ali was, let's face it, a bit of a nob. Good fighter though.

Life is about choices and you can either take a moral stance or you can ignore it. Ali all too often did the later and that was his free choice. And so it is that I will freely say that I don't think he is a human being worth respecting, but as a fighter I have a lot of respect.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The man changed as he grew. This 'little man' has left his mark on the world. I'd love to know what you've done in comparison.

No what you haven't done, what you have?

Freed any hostages recently?

Thread Information