Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  70
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: This place has run its course......

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: This place has run its course......

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote111 View Post
    I think these posts are funny. I've been a member for a very long time. I just choose not to start threads or comment much.. However, I'm here every week and enjoy reading the banter, chortling, and eating of the crow. I wouldn't go anywhere else in regards to public opinion. There is a lot less "noise" here at Saddo.
    From an outside perspective, who is the best poster?

Hint: it’s me
    Who the fuck are you? Are you a new member?

The obvious answer is @GaMo

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I think these posts are funny. I've been a member for a very long time. I just choose not to start threads or comment much.. However, I'm here every week and enjoy reading the banter, chortling, and eating of the crow. I wouldn't go anywhere else in regards to public opinion. There is a lot less "noise" here at Saddo.

Who the fuck are you? Are you a new member?

The obvious answer is @GaMo
    Oh ya. Forgot about him/her

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Based on the personalities here, I would never say. There would be too much strain on their neck.
    You are the Creator of all that is, all that was, and all there ever will be.....

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Boxing has never been more popular in the UK than it is now. Any British bod that says "boxing is dying" is not really a boxing fan they're a groupy (follow a few famous fighters) or live in a bubble (everything and everyone is crap these days..Zzzz)
    Don't be so silly, it was far more popular in the 50's 60's and 70's, halls sold out and no such thing as pay TV. Every newspaper had one or two boxing correspondents, there was no alphabet title shit, Wembley or the Albert Hall was rammed for a British title fight, AND it was on BBC/ITV. Would Deontay Wilder now do a European 'bum of the month' tour like Cassius did, and take on all the European national champions? In your dreams. Showbiz with blood, and only the favoured few with management/whats left of the boxing media contacts get on. Nowadays fighters like Tony Sibson or Dave Boy Green wouldn't get a look in, if you don't believe me ASK THEM!

PS forgot to mention that the BBBOC was not then in promoters or managers pockets, and the ranking systems were noticeably fairer.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Boxing has never been more popular in the UK than it is now. Any British bod that says "boxing is dying" is not really a boxing fan they're a groupy (follow a few famous fighters) or live in a bubble (everything and everyone is crap these days..Zzzz)
    Don't be so silly, it was far more popular in the 50's 60's and 70's, halls sold out and no such thing as pay TV. Every newspaper had one or two boxing correspondents, there was no alphabet title shit, Wembley or the Albert Hall was rammed for a British title fight, AND it was on BBC/ITV. Would Deontay Wilder now do a European 'bum of the month' tour like Cassius did, and take on all the European national champions? In your dreams. Showbiz with blood, and only the favoured few with management/whats left of the boxing media contacts get on. Nowadays fighters like Tony Sibson or Dave Boy Green wouldn't get a look in, if you don't believe me ASK THEM!

PS forgot to mention that the BBBOC was not then in promoters or managers pockets, and the ranking systems were noticeably fairer.
    Today there are more clubs, gyms, fighters, shows, promoters, money, etc, that is a fact (ask Steve Bunce, he just wrote a book about it). Halls sell out every week, British title fights regularly take place in front of 10,000+ crowds. The 02, MEN, Football stadiums, Cardiff, Wembley, we don't have ENOUGH major indoor venues in this country to deal with the current popularity of boxing. It has it's OWN dedicated TV channel. FIVE different broadcasters show regular live boxing.

As for the board being kosher back then? Micky Duff? Lawless? The Cartel? Yes and the Mafia never used to fix fights in 50s either.

Come on mate, I get everything was better in the good old days (all the boys my age long for the 90s to comeback), but it's us that become jaded bastards pining for when we were young, the actual sport is better than ever.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Today there are more clubs, gyms, fighters, shows, promoters, money, etc, that is a fact (ask Steve Bunce, he just wrote a book about it). Halls sell out every week, British title fights regularly take place in front of 10,000+ crowds. The 02, MEN, Football stadiums, Cardiff, Wembley, we don't have ENOUGH major indoor venues in this country to deal with the current popularity of boxing. It has it's OWN dedicated TV channel. FIVE different broadcasters show regular live boxing.

As for the board being kosher back then? Micky Duff? Lawless? The Cartel? Yes and the Mafia never used to fix fights in 50s either.

Come on mate, I get everything was better in the good old days (all the boys my age long for the 90s to comeback), but it's us that become jaded bastards pining for when we were young, the actual sport is better than ever.
    Fully accept your comments about Duff and Lawless, not every decade is perfect..... However

This may be worthy of a separate post, I was channel flipping tonite and noticed 'boxing' on Dave. So I tuned in.

I have never watched such a pile of unaldulterated SHITE in my life. Michael 'Venom' Page against a lardy Piella laden Spaniard with an 11-2-1 record (no! that's 11 losses). I think it was at O2 small hall, half full of pissed up wanabee white collar boxers doing selfies. The referee duly stopped the contest as soon as Pedro took a shot from the posing twat in front of him. Boxing it was most definitely not. Still, all the yuppies returned to the wine bars as 'true' boxing fans. THis MMA type crap at £20 a ticket and £10 a pint will kill small hall boxing, where the 'proper' fighters need good purses to maintain their training, unlike MMA fighters who write computer games during the day and survive their lacklustre fights on alcohol and cocaine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RedLeatherMafia View Post
    I would bet new membership is at a massive decline and if it isn't they don't come back after a few trips. I remember joining I think around 2004? And it was awesome! I quit coming on around 2007 when my father was sick. Had things to take care of. I couldn't remember my log in so I had
    To make a new One. Seems like a few stragglers hung on and now are moderators and god forbid you say or do something they don't like. But that's not even the whole issue. This place is simply a ghost town now. I don't even see the purpose of it. The few floyd haters and GGG lovers could just text each other about their obsessions. I won't name
    names because I'm not picking on certain individuals they are who they are. But if requested I could tell you and comment here how some of them are beyond sickening. If it won't get deleted. Or if this doesn't. Opinions aren't allowed here unless you conform it seems like. This is like a night club well past it's shelf life. Like the old tavern nobody goes to that's hanging on a string with a few bitter people with a few things in common. I would guess this went from the number one forum (at least it felt that way back 10-15yrs ago) to the worst. Same lame topics, same people saying same stuff, same posts that rarely change. I'll log in and the newest thread or one commented on and it was the day before. Nothing new here. The old restaurant that never ulgraded or viewed change as a positive. Almost like a dictatorship with the ones still here that were here in the beginning. I'm sure this will get moved to spam so nobody sees it and I'm sure it won't be hard to guess who moved it. Or deleted because god forbid anyone have an opinion on this place. The stale posts are more exciting for some. Those big companies that couldn't take constructive criticism sure went on to be successful before being auctioned off.
    Who are you?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats very unfair. Yes that fight was a joke and the card was awful but the main event was a pretty refreshing debut. Its promoted by a fighter who doesnt have the stable to really put on good shows but its no worse than plenty of cards in the past. The fact that cards like this is being televised shows how boxing is booming at the moment.

Look at tomorrow night. A solid card in Belfast competing with a decent card in Leeds. Followed up stateside by decent fights in New Jersey and New York.

I dont know what era you think was better than now? Anything past the late 90s was before my time and I never really watched full cards before that, mainly just main event fights, but what Ive gathered from all the boxing books Ive read spamming from the start of the 20th century there have always been plenty of mismatches and hand picking of opponents. Even the four kings era wasnt exactly as if they all fought each other in their primes.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Thats very unfair. Yes that fight was a joke and the card was awful but the main event was a pretty refreshing debut. Its promoted by a fighter who doesnt have the stable to really put on good shows but its no worse than plenty of cards in the past. The fact that cards like this is being televised shows how boxing is booming at the moment.

Look at tomorrow night. A solid card in Belfast competing with a decent card in Leeds. Followed up stateside by decent fights in New Jersey and New York.

I dont know what era you think was better than now? Anything past the late 90s was before my time and I never really watched full cards before that, mainly just main event fights, but what Ive gathered from all the boxing books Ive read spamming from the start of the 20th century there have always been plenty of mismatches and hand picking of opponents. Even the four kings era wasnt exactly as if they all fought each other in their primes.
    Can accept your more constructive points re upcoming shows, but the MMA crap was disgraceful hype. Anytime that Spaniard got tagged he was out of there, to avoid him getting closer in later rounds, blatant. Its no better than slavery bringing these blokes over for £1500 a pop plus easyjet and Airbnb

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was here since 2003ish... lololol... had my old account forgotten, and BEGGED for a new one. By that time we had new owners and mods. Saddo, the original, is not even here?!

Guys like Brockton, MarkTKO and Saddo are who I remember the most. There was another chap here called "The Grim Reefer", who was cool with me on the site and off. But, by the time I cam back from my haitus, he was gone and no one knew what happened to him?!?

Back then we talked as much about shagging sheep and reviewing sites like StileProject as we did Boxing. Gay-UFC was off limits too. With that, we all could agree that Uncle Bob (Arum) was right.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I was a lad 15 pints fish and chips and enough change for a haircut. really are we that bad things move on we still have the annoying fucking idiot but thats life that reminds me were is Brock.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can accept your more constructive points re upcoming shows, but the MMA crap was disgraceful hype. Anytime that Spaniard got tagged he was out of there, to avoid him getting closer in later rounds, blatant. Its no better than slavery bringing these blokes over for £1500 a pop plus easyjet and Airbnb
    The UFC chap was embarrassing. The way he lunged in I was just hoping he walked on to an overhand and got chinned. But boxing has been like that for a long time now with fighters taking on too many soft touches. I've argued with people on this forum about that before where they say guys need to learn their trade taking small steps. That chap will learn far more in 30 seconds of sparring they he will fighting chaps like that.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The UFC chap was embarrassing. The way he lunged in I was just hoping he walked on to an overhand and got chinned. But boxing has been like that for a long time now with fighters taking on too many soft touches. I've argued with people on this forum about that before where they say guys need to learn their trade taking small steps. That chap will learn far more in 30 seconds of sparring they he will fighting chaps like that.
    I totally agree but Mr Haye was hyping him up his boxing skills were frankly shit really but as we no you soon get found out in this sport and I cant see this guy amounting to anything but matched carefully he could be a white collar champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I for one certainly hope the OP's opinion is NOT the case. The forum, like anything that lasts going on 15 years now, has morphed and people have come and gone. Of all the replies I read here, I liked J's the most, and can definitely identify with the following excerpt:

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    I used to post on the HBO forums (it was just a mess of people trying to talk over each other with noone listening- all give, no take)

I myself tried other forums on more than one occasion, and the feeling of people "trying to talk over each other with no one listening" was definitely there. What's the point in talking about ANYTHING, even boxing, if no one actually reads what you write or responds to it? Some of these places are what I would call "too busy". Seems like by the time you've posted something, there's been 50 new posts and 10 new threads in the very same instant. It's pointless, really.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I for one certainly hope the OP's opinion is NOT the case. The forum, like anything that lasts going on 15 years now, has morphed and people have come and gone. Of all the replies I read here, I liked J's the most, and can definitely identify with the following excerpt:

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    I used to post on the HBO forums (it was just a mess of people trying to talk over each other with noone listening- all give, no take)

I myself tried other forums on more than one occasion, and the feeling of people "trying to talk over each other with no one listening" was definitely there. What's the point in talking about ANYTHING, even boxing, if no one actually reads what you write or responds to it? Some of these places are what I would call "too busy". Seems like by the time you've posted something, there's been 50 new posts and 10 new threads in the very same instant. It's pointless, really.
    Exactly, and full of trolls who can only see there side of the coin. The know it all's. That stuff is boring. I prefer this community as most are willing to accept an other's opinion and actually enjoy debating with reason and facts.
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information