Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kessler's very flawed performance against Carl Froch-

I enjoyed Kessler/Froch the other night but I had HUGE issues with Kessler's performance, although guttsy.

Granted, I had a bit to drink the other night but I don't know what the hell he was doing for most of the fight. For one, he constantly moved to his left putting him in possition to get cracked my right hands... Two, his hands were constantly at chest level lacking his normal defensive prowess... and Three, with his hands at his chest he was hit with regularity for 12 rounds with a FUCKING up-jab from a guy like Froch who is not known for blinding speed.

Although the fight was crowd pleasing and I enjoyed myself, Kessler's performance was far from spectacular. He made the fight difficult on himself by ignoring text book shit...

I wasn't listening to his corner cuz I had alot of people over my house but I would have been screaming at him that this is fucking amatuer shit he's doing...

Anyway, Hell, I think Green will give him a run for his money after that highly flawed performance. I like Kessler but all the king's shoulders and all the kings men won't be able to put Kessler together again.

I think he's falling out of favor as the favorite. He definitley has in my eyes.
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kessler's very flawed performance against Carl Froch-

Couldn't agree more and Tarver had even pointed it out."This was not the Kessler of a year a two ago". He kept pushing his right hand,kept backing straight up to where all Froch had to do was step forward and throw the right hand and land cleanly. Another no-no from the sport is pulling straight back with your head straight up. Kessler did this all night to where I thought he would get knocked down or worse knocked out. Great fight but alot of stuff needs to be worked on before his next fight. Like getting back to his old self with that piston jab and laser beam right hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    Couldn't agree more and Tarver had even pointed it out."This was not the Kessler of a year a two ago". He kept pushing his right hand,kept backing straight up to where all Froch had to do was step forward and throw the right hand and land cleanly. Another no-no from the sport is pulling straight back with your head straight up. Kessler did this all night to where I thought he would get knocked down or worse knocked out. Great fight but alot of stuff needs to be worked on before his next fight. Like getting back to his old self with that piston jab and laser beam right hand.
    Yup, forgot to mention that. Great point... You don't back straight up... Especially against someone who throws wide punches like Froch.

I'm a Kessler fan and picked him to win the fight but had he just done BASIC shit he would have won by a larger margin, taking far less damage.

When I saw Froch landing his up-jab round after round I was laughing, like... How do you let that happen if you're Montoya? I would have slapped him myslef in the corner!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree totally Pride. I actually think Green will beat him at this point, especially if he keeps backs straight out with his head stationary.

Kessler, to me, looked like a guy clearly on the slide. He looked like one of those fighters/athletes who could still see what needed to be done, but who couldn't make his body react in time. His counters were all just a little late, against a glacier like Froch, and he just looked old to me. Like you said, he was getting hit by a ton of shots that he would have been able to avoid a couple of years ago. I also agreed with what Tarver said about his 1-2. It used to be deadly, but he's clearly lost a step.

Allen Green by TKO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anybody catch Froch's tryout for the ballet with his pirouette in the middle of the ring?

Last edited by PRIDE OF BOSTON; 04-26-2010 at 05:44 PM.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't really say anything bad about Kessler because it was a really gutsy performance but it did feel like I was watching a completely different fighter...
    None of that 'typical European' stuff that were become used to.

He had the look of a little brawler fighting out of his weightclass. It was weird

I'll try to remain optimistic with regards to his chances from here on, mainly because I know how terrible Dirrell looked against Froch but then came out looking World Class against Abraham (for the first 7 rounds).
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie View Post
    I can't really say anything bad about Kessler because it was a really gutsy performance but it did feel like I was watching a completely different fighter...
    None of that 'typical European' stuff that were become used to.

He had the look of a little brawler fighting out of his weightclass. It was weird

I'll try to remain optimistic with regards to his chances from here on, mainly because I know how terrible Dirrell looked against Froch but then came out looking World Class against Abraham (for the first 7 rounds).

I'm not dogging Kessler but he was making mistakes someone of his caliber shouldn't be making.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't disagree with anything POB stated, but Kessler did say that he knew that he had to fight more of a brawlers fight against Froch, because Froch was going to make it difficult and rough on the inside.. So, maybe Kessler had that too clearly in mind and didn't do the normal stuff he would do - hands up high and jab jab jab right hand. Kessler also used to be really good at keeping his distance and not allowing guys to get in close because of his hard jab, and this did not show against Froch.. I think that if Kessler realizes this, and goes back to basics and trusts his jab and right hand, then he will be fine, and still a favorite in this tournament.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was really impressed with Kessler's determination. He just had more will than Froch and that was a main reason he won. Whether it was coming back and taking over the fight after a bad 5th round or fighting like he needed a come from behind KO in the 12th when he was way ahead.

But yeah he has some issues. Easy to hit. Especially with the left hook and if you throw combos he might block the first or the second but he almost always gets hit with the 3rd or 4th punch. I think Green is a bit of a fraud but he does have some power and his best punch is his left hook so I'm afraid he might catch Kessler with something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
    I don't disagree with anything POB stated, but Kessler did say that he knew that he had to fight more of a brawlers fight against Froch, because Froch was going to make it difficult and rough on the inside.. So, maybe Kessler had that too clearly in mind and didn't do the normal stuff he would do - hands up high and jab jab jab right hand. Kessler also used to be really good at keeping his distance and not allowing guys to get in close because of his hard jab, and this did not show against Froch.. I think that if Kessler realizes this, and goes back to basics and trusts his jab and right hand, then he will be fine, and still a favorite in this tournament.

This could be a possibility. We also know that Kessler isn't good at making solid adjustments during fights so maybe. I just feel that he made the fight far too hard for himself whe the normal Kessler could have walked forward, hands up, jab, jab right handed his way to a UD taking far less damage. You could be right, though.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I was really impressed with Kessler's determination. He just had more will than Froch and that was a main reason he won. Whether it was coming back and taking over the fight after a bad 5th round or fighting like he needed a come from behind KO in the 12th when he was way ahead.

But yeah he has some issues. Easy to hit. Especially with the left hook and if you throw combos he might block the first or the second but he almost always gets hit with the 3rd or 4th punch. I think Green is a bit of a fraud but he does have some power and his best punch is his left hook so I'm afraid he might catch Kessler with something.

Oh, sure. I thought It was a very fun fight to watch and Kess surely wanted it! I think Green will give him issues, now. I think Kess will still beat him but with each passing fight he's being hit with shit he never was before. Kessler needs to fight the old Kessler's fight and he'll beat Green up.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PRIDE OF BOSTON View Post

Oh, sure. I thought It was a very fun fight to watch and Kess surely wanted it! I think Green will give him issues, now. I think Kess will still beat him but with each passing fight he's being hit with shit he never was before. Kessler needs to fight the old Kessler's fight and he'll beat Green up.
    But who was Kessler facing before?

He's now facing tougher opponents than he did before. Calzaghe schooled him from round 5 onwards. Kessler fought flawed partly because he is. I still give a good chance of winning this though.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For however bad Kessler looked he still beat Froch comfortably and as the fight wore on he let his hands go more which makes me think hes getting over the nerves, Green isnt that great and Kessler will look even better, he will start sharper from the first bell unlike here where it too half the fight.

The thing is, alot of people here think Froch is powerfull, quick and has good stamina, well Kessler has just proved how good his chin, stamina and how hard he is to just keep fighting and going forward.

Your kidding yourselves if you think a fighter who was bullied by Miranda will have a chance against someone shos just come through a war with the divisions hardest puncher and most awkward fighter and who has the best stamina.

Green will be target practice for Kessler, he will give Kessler 3 points and more srpness and confidence. In fact after he beats Green, the other fighters in the tournament will not be wanting to face him.

Kessler going for broke in the last round was something to see, from a man who was coming off a bad loss, against a man recieving all the acolades it was impressive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

But who was Kessler facing before?

He's now facing tougher opponents than he did before. Calzaghe schooled him from round 5 onwards. Kessler fought flawed partly because he is. I still give a good chance of winning this though.

Kessler was in the fight with Calzaghe for 6 rounds and then Joe pulled away. Kessler is not normally a technically flawed boxer. Kessler has beaten good opposition... Not great, granted. But to tell me that his normal style wouldn't have beaten Froch would be crazy. Jermain Taylor was beating Froch pretty handily before he ran out of steam in the championship rounds. It's fact that a technical boxer is Carl Froch's cryptonite.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    Yup, forgot to mention that. Great point... You don't back straight up... Especially against someone who throws wide punches like Froch.

I'm a Kessler fan and picked him to win the fight but had he just done BASIC shit he would have won by a larger margin, taking far less damage.

When I saw Froch landing his up-jab round after round I was laughing, like... How do you let that happen if you're Montoya? I would have slapped him myslef in the corner!
    Its easy for Tarver to say this wasnt the Kess of old but he was facing an unbeaten guy who had found a way to win against every style he had met. Kessler was never going to look good in this fight. He knew he had to go to war and slug it out so when a fighter does that they are going to make mistakes. What it did show is that Kessler still has a great chin and bags of heart

Kessler stops Green and I think he will rematch Ward in the final .
    Last edited by GAME; 04-26-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Thread Information