Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Taking a knee

I was watching some replay fights on Showtime last night during which one of Keith Thurmans opponents took a knee after getting a clear shot to the temple. Jim Gray made a big deal about it questioning the guys mentality. Thurman backed up his opponent saying it was a good strategic move and he would do the same thing if he needed to.

Do you think taking a knee is a cop out. I think its a wise move in certain situations.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Taking a knee

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I was watching some replay fights on Showtime last night during which one of Keith Thurmans opponents took a knee after getting a clear shot to the temple. Jim Gray made a big deal about it questioning the guys mentality. Thurman backed up his opponent saying it was a good strategic move and he would do the same thing if he needed to.

Do you think taking a knee is a cop out. I think its a wise move in certain situations.
    Take a knee, and gather your thoughts. OR you can do like floyd and jump around like u got bit though your pillow gloves.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sometimes fighters take a knee when it's not needed and sometimes they don't take a knee when they should

Maybe if groves had taken a knee v froch in the first fight he'd have gone on to win

How would you ever know how a fighter feels from a punch tho

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jim grey is a microphone tough guy who likes to irritate in the hopes he'll get popped on camera and someone will actually notice him after that. There's nothing wrong with taking a knee. A lot of trainers preach clinching over taking knees in hopes that their fighter will be able to avoid a 2 point round. The problem is now that there is little respect for the rules compared to how things used to be. So even taking that knee may not keep a guy from hitting and fouling you anyway. The refs don't always adhere to the strictest interpretation of the rules and i have several fighters take shots while down on a knee where the opponents aren't DQ'd because the ref didn't think the punch was hard enough or it was to the body instead of the head. So that's why you have that circus now where a guy flops over and rolls around and throws in a twitch or convulsion for good measure.

Taking a knee is a wise strategy if you're buzzed and gassed with about 30 seconds to go in the round late in the fight. Especially if youre ahead in the fight with points to spare. If you've already been down twice in the round and you've been outclassed the majority of the fight... you're just prolonging the inevitable. Nothing sort of a hail mary punch is going to save you. So while you're down there, decide if you're hoping someone will pity/save you or if you're down there to get enough wind/rest to make a stand...because any opponent worth his salt is going to buzzsaw you when you get up. Only one of these is strategic, the other is just waiting.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

El Kabong Guest

Jim Gray is a dope

Taking a knee instead of allowing a guy to follow up on you after you get stunned is a good thing

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chris6878 View Post

Take a knee, and gather your thoughts. OR you can do like floyd and jump around like u got bit though your pillow gloves.
    You do not know how much that must have hurt. His fingers were numb. Numb I say!
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really enjoyed James Toney putting him in his place during the post fight interview after he fought Holyfield.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course, take a knee if you think you need to. Brains are as important as brawn I'm the ring, use them

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gray drives me crazy at times, he doesn't seem happy until he asks the same question in three different ways.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Gray drives me crazy at times, he doesn't seem happy until he asks the same question in three different ways.
    He always makes it about HIM....I liked it when James Toney got mad at him

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its not always a conscious decision and when it is I don't have a problem with it as strategy or last resort. You just better make sure you can get up if its when you are hurt, dazed etc. There are guys who get knocked down, bounce up and then knee again. Buster Mathis jr was hurt, took a knee vs Bowe and then Bowe clearly wound up and hit him when he was "down"..problem is you have to count on the ref to rule you down in the first place. Guys have taken a knee and the ref looks at them like WTF...get up

Thread Information