Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Donald COBRA curry HOF ?

I really liked watching this guy fight , real classy operator in his prime, i know he went down to Honeyghan, and it was a slippery slope there after but i think he deserves to be included in IBHOF,there are certainly some less deserving IMO .

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Donald COBRA curry HOF ?

In a lot people's eyes he was p4p number 1 (even ahead of Hagler) when he fought Honeyghan. He was never the same after that fight though. I'm never sure about HOF, but he is deffo more deserving than some already inducted.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I could watch him all day, he was graceful, slick and did strike like a COBRA! The KO against McCrory was devastating, he beat Starling twice, quality operator. He also said Leonard tricked him out of a fight against Hagler. Wondered if he could have beaten Hagler?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

ICB Guest

Donald Curry is one of my favourite fighters, his 2nd fight with Marlon Starling who i also like alot. Was one of the best technical fight's you will ever see, a real treat to watch two fighter's in there prime showing off there great technical ability.

Unfortunately he doesn't deserve to be in HOF, but i think P4P he is one of the most skilled Welterweight's i've ever seen. I would have loved to have seen him fight Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hell yes, without a doubt. It would be criminal if he didnt. He's one of the fighters along with Finito and Marquez who whose face could be pastered next to Boxing in the dictionary. His style was smooth and unforced, and txtbook as they come.. Mann I just love these type of fighters. Everything from his footwork to his punching for was near flawless.. Too bad we never got to see him face Leonard cuz that would have been something special.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think if you factor in his amateur credentials I think he would have a shot. But on Pro alone he doesn't get in.

The left hook he iced the Ice Man with is still the best left hook I ever seen

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Curry was special .... loved the way he would stand right in front of his opponent and he was so fast and so slick that he could counter them from there. Very very good fighter indeed.

He was the best welter in the world for quite a while and would have been to much for ray Leonard to handle at that stage of his career. I don't think he would have takn hagler, though, unless the Marvelous One sleepwalked through the first five rounds like he ended up doing against Leonard.

I think he always struggled with his weight, and thats why he was never the same after the Honeyghan fight. He ended up moving to far up so he was just fighting guys too big for him.

better HOF entrant that McGuigan, methinks
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    I think if you factor in his amateur credentials I think he would have a shot. But on Pro alone he doesn't get in.

The left hook he iced the Ice Man with is still the best left hook I ever seen
    Wasn't his Amateur record something ridiculous like 400-4 ? that's probably why he burnt out quick in the pro's. Oh yea and that left hook was just perfect, it travelled such a short distance but was so powerful.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Cobra was one of those comets. For about 18 months he would have given any welter in history a tough go. In those 18 months he was, in my view, a significantly better fighter than men like McGuigan ot Kostya or Brian Mitchell or Orlando Canizales or Edwin Rosario (for example) were at their very best.

But once he outgrew the weight he became merely very good. I'm a tough HOF guy and I'd say no. BUT when I read voters like Dan Rafael say they look forward to voting for Joel Casamayor? He'd better vote for Curry three times first.

You know who Curry looks a lot like to me in terms of achivement? Michael Nunn.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Curry was special .... loved the way he would stand right in front of his opponent and he was so fast and so slick that he could counter them from there. Very very good fighter indeed.

He was the best welter in the world for quite a while and would have been to much for ray Leonard to handle at that stage of his career. I don't think he would have takn hagler, though, unless the Marvelous One sleepwalked through the first five rounds like he ended up doing against Leonard.

I think he always struggled with his weight, and thats why he was never the same after the Honeyghan fight. He ended up moving to far up so he was just fighting guys too big for him.

better HOF entrant that McGuigan, methinks
    Nicely put.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yup - well said Marble & X.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Thread Information