Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Not GGG bashing but...

I thought that GGG was a great fighter in his prime. Don’t get me wrong. As most of us understand though, he didn’t fight the best competition (not necessarily blaming it on him. The division was pretty weak). Every time that he stepped up, it was a struggle. He beat Jacobs and Derevyanchenko I’m very close controversial fights and beat Canelo twice in semi close fights (I thought he won).

Looking at his career, I think that he has proven to be a great fighter, but not an elite level fighter. By the end of his career, he proved to struggle with higher level fighters. He also started avoiding certain fighters once the division became strong finally.

This isn’t to bash GGG at all. I just think that at this point, seeing his whole career in front of me, that he was a great fighter who was probably a bit overrated.

No disagreeing with me.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Not GGG bashing but...

I disagree

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is like watching Hagler at the tail end of his career. That bit older, slower and vulnerable waiting for a young gun to finally beat him.

Golovkin crushed all his main challengers but did not have that classic rivalry or career defining fight.

The Canelo contests were ruined and as a result do not count.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    It is like watching Hagler at the tail end of his career. That bit older, slower and vulnerable waiting for a young gun to finally beat him.

Golovkin crushed all his main challengers but did not have that classic rivalry or career defining fight.

Ffs! Stop posting like a 10 year old. Of course they fucking count! Both fights were close, so even if you think GGG won, they’re not exactly a robbery either way.
    I don’t know what the fuss is all about, I genuinely thought the 1st fight was a draw, and I genuinely thought Canelo one the 2nd. But I totally see how people might have had it different.
    There have been way worse decisions. Come on, I’m not a fan of Canelo , and until GGG started whoring himself out to Canelo like a little bitch, I was a fan of his. But you have to see it as it is.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Ffs! Stop posting like a 10 year old. Of course they fucking count! Both fights were close, so even if you think GGG won, they’re not exactly a robbery either way.
    I don’t know what the fuss is all about, I genuinely thought the 1st fight was a draw, and I genuinely thought Canelo one the 2nd. But I totally see how people might have had it different.
    There have been way worse decisions. Come on, I’m not a fan of Canelo , and until GGG started whoring himself out to Canelo like a little bitch, I was a fan of his. But you have to see it as it is.

Some of us think GGG should've won both fights, so go figure. Canelo wasn't going to lose a decision in Vegas... and anyone who thinks otherwise probably still believes in the stork.

This time around GGG was the bigger name, so he probably got a little bit of a consolation gift decision.

The bigger name gets the nod. And there ain't no bigger name in Vegas than Canelo.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Last night and even the Jacobs very narrow win just leveled out much of the controversy from the Canelo 'losses'. The coals have cooled. I like Golovkin and think he was a great fighter and pleasure to watch but I never liked his path of following along in tow to Canelo, the layoff and the bee bopping along with set up farces like Rolls did him no favors. It almost feels that the only intent of Oscar and company was the old saying keep your enemies closest. Dangle a carrot here and there claim he brings nothing but 'we'll see' all the while jumping up two divisions. Doesn't take away from Golovkin once again showing big brass last night and fact he faced a few top guys but he looked worked over and vulnerable early and never really rebounded.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Some of us think GGG should've won both fights, so go figure. Canelo wasn't going to lose a decision in Vegas... and anyone who thinks otherwise probably still believes in the stork.

This time around GGG was the bigger name, so he probably got a little bit of a consolation gift decision.

The bigger name gets the nod. And there ain't no bigger name in Vegas than Canelo.
    Whichever way we had it I think we can all agree Canelo is his pimp. And GGG has yet to turn off the red light.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't watch it twice but at the time I didn't think golovkin v jacobs( who is a massive guy at the weight, yet only Alvarez is the git in these cases) was controversial at all, it was fairly close but I think golovkin won by a few points fairly easily.

I also didn't score the fight last night but I think sergiys performance was a bit overrated due to him starting some rounds really well and having golovkin in quite a pickle in the fifth round(still they're individual rounds) he missed/was blocked a good amount too and golovkin answered back with some g ood stuff, some of his jabs are better than the so called(by compubox) power punches. Ukrainian git put in a great effort but with the knockdown I think golovkin won it due a draw being impossible without even rounds, which probably should show up a bit more in the scorecards but wotever. Golovkin is really good at recovering from taking damage and being winded, he looked out of it in the second Alvarez fight and last night, top drawer boxer..

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don’t doubt that GGG is tough. There are fighters who look more impressive against lesser fighter than others. Especially when you have big power. You look dominant beating decent opponents. You look unbeatable. Then you step up and realize that once somebody can take your punch, you aren’t nearly as good as you looked. Fighters can adjust to you and beat you.

Again, I thought that GGG beat Canelo twice, but I feel that Canelo proved that GGG isn’t is as good as advertised. If GGG were the #1 p4p guy like a lot of people thought, he should have more clearly best Canelo who I believe is overrated. Especially being so great, he should have adjusted and beat him easier in the second fight. But it was the opposite.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like I said, I get that, and although I don’t agree, I wouldn’t argue massively against it. There wasn’t a lot in it.
    But my point is, you know you’re not gonna get a decision in Vegas against Canelo after the first fight.
    So why bother chasing a rematch unless you’re gonna go in hard looking for a KO?
    GGG looked less likely to KO Canelo in the 2nd fight than he did in the 1st. So why bother?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Golovkin won the fight last night, won the first Canelo fight and narrowly won the second Canelo fight, (though I could see how you could make it a draw or give it to Canelo, you can't do that with the first one so easily) . Is GGG not allowed narrow wins or close fights then? Surely being in those kind of fights and getting the win adds to his legacy not takes away? I don't think Canelo is over rated at all. He is massively under-rated. All the weight difference and drug cheating stuff is bollocks don't get me wrong, he doesn't get a free pass, but i think that has caused people to be very grudging in awarding him any justified praise. Much of his boxing is very classy and at times, sublime. He is an elite fighter and Oscar being a dick does not nullify that. So with that in mind GGG is anything but a mug. He fought someone who will go down as a modern great (maybe not at the same level as many past greats) arguably beat him twice, made a ton of money and increased his exposure and has dealt with every fighter put in front of him with real gutsy and quality displays.

Great Fighter.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Threw punches at unthodox angles, agression fighter, pressure fighter, willing to win every match, sparring with heavyer weight who said on to ocassions "GGG hits like a heavy weight". What that tells you? Hella fighter! ATG? Nah, not a Hagler but next-best to the Hagler level!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like I said, I get that, and although I don’t agree, I wouldn’t argue massively against it. There wasn’t a lot in it.
    But my point is, you know you’re not gonna get a decision in Vegas against Canelo after the first fight.
    So why bother chasing a rematch unless you’re gonna go in hard looking for a KO?

GGG looked less likely to KO Canelo in the 2nd fight than he did in the 1st. So why bother?

Absolutely Primo. No issues with that. The 2nd fight was puzzling and maddening all at the same time.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    I thought Golovkin won the fight last night, won the first Canelo fight and narrowly won the second Canelo fight, (though I could see how you could make it a draw or give it to Canelo, you can't do that with the first one so easily) . Is GGG not allowed narrow wins or close fights then? Surely being in those kind of fights and getting the win adds to his legacy not takes away? I don't think Canelo is over rated at all. He is massively under-rated. All the weight difference and drug cheating stuff is bollocks don't get me wrong, he doesn't get a free pass, but i think that has caused people to be very grudging in awarding him any justified praise. Much of his boxing is very classy and at times, sublime. He is an elite fighter and Oscar being a dick does not nullify that. So with that in mind GGG is anything but a mug. He fought someone who will go down as a modern great (maybe not at the same level as many past greats) arguably beat him twice, made a ton of money and increased his exposure and has dealt with every fighter put in front of him with real gutsy and quality displays.

Great Fighter.

I was trying to follow you on that until I got to the "massively under-rated" part.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Stop it you're killing me here. Did you reread what you just wrote?? Massively underrated?? Canelo is Mr. Boxing, FFS man!! Wake the f*ck up and smell the roses!

Nobody underrates Canelo. TV fawns all over him. Non-boxing fans are acutely aware of that "handsome" ginger face. Vegas will probably be renamed in his honor. They're even building a NEW STADIUM, FFS..... not for the relocated NFL franchise, which is just a flimsy excuse and what Vegas would want you to believe. It's gonna be a shrine for The Anointed One.

In what galaxy, pray tell..... is Canelo even f*cking remotely close to being underrated?? Is this just another language difference between your part of the world and this one?

Dude..... I've read some doozies in my 15 years here. But this one tops them all. Canelo is not just underrated. He's MASSIVELY underrated.

Do me a favor. Be available for my next party, so I can use you for comedy. If things get slow, you can tell everyone what you just said about Canelo being "massively" underrated. I promise you, you'll have them rolling in the aisles till sunup.

The King of Boxing, who has his own boxing dates..... his own belts (which the WBC lovingly crafts for him)..... his own judges (he pays good money for them)..... and his legions of screaming female (or effeminate) fans...... is....... how'd you put it?

MASSIVELY UNDERRATED

Wow.

All of a sudden I have an urge to take a huge dump.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And BINGO, pal. He most certainly DOESN'T get a pass on all the weight shenanigans and bullshit AS WELL as the drug cheating stuff. A coddled matinee idol since Day One, and he STILL has had the nerve to do all this weight hop-scotching and pathetically try to blame cows for his doping.

Thread Information