Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best/Most Efficient Way to Bulk up?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Best/Most Efficient Way to Bulk up?

Hey im still in my teens and am pretty happy with my current strength although it could be better.
    Im 6"3 and am rather thin come to that; i've looked a little into how I can get bigger (outwards) and was wondering if any of you guys had any tips on how I could bulk up a bit
    I do have access to a gym so all suggestions welcome
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Best/Most Efficient Way to Bulk up?

rahh 6'3 your quite a tall moawfooka

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hehe yea I eat quite a bit aswell but it never seems to add on (which I guess is good and bad)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Head to a body building forum man, they will be able to help you the most over there
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Head to a body building forum man, they will be able to help you the most over there
    I wouldnt do that. They're a bunch of douche bags imo.

If you want to gain weight you need to eat more calories than you burn. Start eating 5 or 6 meals per day with protein, carbs, fats and fiber in each. This along with lifting heavy weights will help you gain muscle.

Training:
    Feel like posting your self-made-and-likely-inefficient split? Maybe Read this first - WorldFitness Training Forum

FREE StrongLifts 5×5 eBook: How to Build Muscle & Lose Fat Through Strength Training in Only 3 Workouts Per Week | StrongLifts.com

Weight Training 101 - WorldFitness Training Forum

Nutrition:
    LV's Grocery List - WorldFitness Training Forum

Nutrition 101 - WorldFitness Training Forum

John Berardi - Solving the Post Workout Puzzle Part I

John Berardi - Solving the Post Workout Puzzle - Part II

Calorie Calculator

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I wouldnt do that. They're a bunch of douche bags imo.

If you want to gain weight you need to eat more calories than you burn. Start eating 5 or 6 meals per day with protein, carbs, fats and fiber in each. This along with lifting heavy weights will help you gain muscle.

Training:
    Feel like posting your self-made-and-likely-inefficient split? Maybe Read this first - WorldFitness Training Forum

FREE StrongLifts 5×5 eBook: How to Build Muscle & Lose Fat Through Strength Training in Only 3 Workouts Per Week | StrongLifts.com

Weight Training 101 - WorldFitness Training Forum

Nutrition:
    LV's Grocery List - WorldFitness Training Forum

Nutrition 101 - WorldFitness Training Forum

John Berardi - Solving the Post Workout Puzzle Part I

John Berardi - Solving the Post Workout Puzzle - Part II

Calorie Calculator

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal
    Thanks man gonna have a look through all these now. Your right about the body builiding forums there way too full of themselves to help anybody out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you into boxing? If so, you don't want to get bigger, all you want to do is get stronger. I'm a thin guy but I'm very strong for my weight, people are suprised by my power all the time even though on the outside I look rather weak. Do you want to get stronger or you want to get bigger? They are two very different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Balboa View Post
    Are you into boxing? If so, you don't want to get bigger, all you want to do is get stronger. I'm a thin guy but I'm very strong for my weight, people are suprised by my power all the time even though on the outside I look rather weak. Do you want to get stronger or you want to get bigger? They are two very different things.
    Yes i'm a fighter but I would've thought that by getting stronger getting bigger came with the package? Strength is what im looking for as it is for my fighting
    Im intruged to hear what you do if thats the case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lift heavy but dont overdo the calories.

Heers a couple more links to check out.
    RossTraining.com • Index page

RossTraining - Articles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    Lift heavy but dont overdo the calories.

Heers a couple more links to check out.
    RossTraining.com • Index page

RossTraining - Articles
    Thanks again man! I'll rep you when I can

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eat lots of high protein goodies. Trail mix, beef jerkys, steaks, any candy bar with 30gm+ protein (real cheap at the cosco), and work out like an animal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris24-7 View Post
    Yes i'm a fighter but I would've thought that by getting stronger getting bigger came with the package? Strength is what im looking for as it is for my fighting
    Im intruged to hear what you do if thats the case
    Size and strength are two very different things. I learnt to train via Ross Enamait's books (see wesrman's links). His books are absolutely great! They are worth their weight in gold and taught me a boat-load of stuff. I have "Never Gymless", a book on only bodyweight exercise, and it goes way beyond just push-ups and squats. The book teaches you how to make a good program (for a combat athelete) to give you maximal strength, explosive strength, endurance strength, anaerobic conditioning, and aerobic conditioning. When I first got it, I spent 4 hours reading that book without stopping for an instant. I learnt a ton. I highly recommend any of his three books. Every single sentence in there teaches you a ton. It will explain WAY more than I can in a single thread.

El Kabong Guest

Well if you're trying to bulk up just for looks then burn outs and "pumping" when you're tired works pretty good along with good nutrition, lots of protein after workouts.

You may want to stagger your workouts so you focus on certain muscle groups on certain days, for example Monday: Chest & Back Tuesday: Biceps & Triceps.

You may also want to try super setting to really feel the burn. For example on biceps I do 3 sets of 7 reps for curls but I do 3 types of curls back to back to back. 1st from a resting position (while you're standing up or leaning against a wall to keep from rocking, the bar is down at your hips)...so from resting position to the halfway point of a regular curl and then back down in a slow and controlled manner, do that 7 times. Do not rest, the 2nd exercise starts with the bar resting in the finished full curl position and you go halfway down and then back up to the resting position, once again 7 times. Once you have done a set of the halfway up and halfway down curls you do not rest and you do a set of full curls. You want to start out heavy and end light....I used to start with a 45 on each side and then go down 5/10 pounds on each side every time I finished a full set until I was just curling the bar. And when I got to the lighter weights (under 20 pounds a side) I would work in reverse curls, where the grip is reversed but the exercise is the exact same. If you do that and maybe throw in some dips (either real dips or the seated ones with the machine like a little girl )

When you bench you start off with lighter weight well do that maybe 10 times, add weight do that maybe 8 times, add weight and do that 6 times and if you are a glutton for punishment you can go back down the 8 and 10 reps....it'll hurt you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He already stated that he doesnt want to bulk..lol. He just wants to get stronger.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Going by the title, I will assume he wants to add weight as well as strengthen.

OP, in the last year I have gained 25 lbs. Now granted, this is in part simple due to normal growth as I've grown nearly 3 inches in that time as well but I made it a point to work on strength training and muscle building during.

It has been largely successful due to a combination of eating, workouts and supplements. First thing I did was overhaul my diet and got rid of all processed and junk food. All snacks, pop, fast food etc. Then I had a diet put together for me that essentially worked well-rounded hitting all the food group meals into my day. Above and beyond that, paying attention to load up on carbs pre workout, an making sure to have protein after.

One thing I found is that when I began intense workouts, I was often experience many muscle strains and aches. It was then I decided to incorporate supplementing. Thru this board and various other boxers and trainers, I found that it was helpful to start taking a combination of post workout whey protein + L-glutamine. 30 grams pure protein and 5 grams glutamine 10-15 mins after each intense workout, for both running and weight...and also long sparring sessions. What I found was the strains and aches immediately went away and I began to really then notice a difference in muscle growth. I also take a good liquid multi vitamin and glucosamine.

My routine is and was very regimented, one day weight/strength training, the next cardio and skill oriented. Proper days off for rest etc. Making sure to change it up as I go understanding plateau to maximize potential as well.

Anyway, this is just a brief look into what has worked for me over the last year in my goal which sounds similar to yours, as I too am very tall for my age and was exactly where you seem to be now as for gaining strength and power on a lean frame. If you want specifics as to workout types and schedules used during etc, I can send stuff/routines I've done to you to maybe try out.

Good luck and welcome to Saddos.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 04-01-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Thread Information