Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

Id rather see canelo fight at middleweight rather than this kovalev fight, it'll just end in some stupidity like the kov ward fights, and kov will probably just get bummed out of it due to some daftness
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've not read a single post in this thread, the love for Canelo on this site is sickening, even for a gay man like me.

However, Andre Ward told me Kovalev was his best win, so if the cherry picking Canelo beats him it proves how overrated Ward is. Fact. That is all.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    It’s fascinating to me that Canelo has fought the best 147 guy, the best 154 guy, the best 160 guy twice and is thinking of jumping 2 divisions to fight a reigning major title holder and the mere proposition begins cherry picking talk.

But Lomachenko, supposedly the top guy in the sport and surely one of the top guys, has never fought the best guy in a division and fights consecutively a guy who was DOMINATED by Tank Davis and moved up, Anthony Crolla and Luke Campbell without so much as a peep about him cherry picking.

Why would people have higher expectations of Canelo if everyone thinks Loma is the better fighter? Or is it not higher expectations for Canelo but rather lower expectations for Loma?

Do me a favor. Forget it's me asking the questions, because that will immediately draw your "you just hate Canelo" spiel.

Canelo fought "the best 147 guy". Who was that?..... out of morbid curiosity. Seriously..... I'm VERY curious.

"The best 154 guy". Who was that? Mosley? Trout? Cotto? Again... just trying to follow your logic here.

Mosley..... way past his prime at nearly 41 years old. Had won a grand total of 2 of his previous 6 fights. That Mosley?

Trout..... is that the one? Could be...... right? Ok, we'll let that one skate.

Cotto? The woefully undersized Cotto? I thought Cotto fought brilliantly and gave it all he had. But he never had the size to bother Canelo, who undoubtedly has a great chin. And let's face it. Cotto was never going to win a decision in Canelo's backyard.

The best 160 pounder twice.

Wait...... not so fast. What did he do before that? Did he fight GGG right away? Strike while the iron was hot?

No. He waited for the fight to "marinate", waiting to "grow into 160" and what did he do? Remember? I'll jar your memory a little bit.

He snuck out for a foray at 170 with JCC Jr.

Only after he saw he could handle the weight against THAT mummy....... THEN he faced GGG twice, losing both times but being gifted the decisions by the corrupt Mexican mafia. (Of course, we all knew he was a bonafide 160 all along).

THEN..... he jumps up..... cherry picks Rocky Fielding for the fukking trinket (I know you don't like the cherry picking term but it applies perfectly here).

And NOW he's talking about jumping up to challenge Kovalev.

Ok. Now you can uncover your face and see who wrote this.

For someone who allegedly "hates Canelo", you certainly skip over some of the damning facts. I'm more than happy to fill in the obvious blanks.

You're welcome.
    Best at 147-Mayweather, shouldn’t need explaining

Best at 154-Lara, The Ring had him number 1 in 2 different years surrounding the fight

Best at 160 twice-GGG. GGG is still the best at 160 until proven otherwise

I don’t really care that some had GGG winning both, I agree with them. It’s only relevant in this conversation that he fought them. Because I’m talking about expectations. We don’t expect fighters to win, we expect them to fight. Winning and losing is about how good you are, a separate subject. It’s well known I don’t think Canelo was even the best at 154, let alone 160. I’m discussing expectations
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 09-02-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I've not read a single post in this thread, the love for Canelo on this site is sickening, even for a gay man like me.

However, Andre Ward told me Kovalev was his best win, so if the cherry picking Canelo beats him it proves how overrated Ward is. Fact. That is all.
    Ward was probably top 3 talents I’ve seen during my lifetime. He went up in weight and fought Kovalev who was very feared. I had Kovalev at #1 p4p at the time. He was easily in the top 3.

With that said, Kovalev isn’t what he used to be at all. He has really gone down hill. So Canelo fighting Kovalev now isn’t the same as Ward fighting Kovalev at the top of his game. That’s just a ridiculous argument

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nobody cares what you do in the bedroom, that’s your business. I think we’re all surprised you aren’t a Ward fan though, shocking, just shocking. Next you’ll tell us you are a Kovalev fan and really blow our minds.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Nobody cares what you do in the bedroom, that’s your business. I think we’re all surprised you aren’t a Ward fan though, shocking, just shocking. Next you’ll tell us you are a Kovalev fan and really blow our minds.
    Of course i'm a Ward fan, his dad was a white man. In fact, his dad was a white Irish man, that makes him more white than Russian Kovalev.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

Ward was probably top 3 talents I’ve seen during my lifetime. He went up in weight and fought Kovalev who was very feared. I had Kovalev at #1 p4p at the time. He was easily in the top 3.

With that said, Kovalev isn’t what he used to be at all. He has really gone down hill. So Canelo fighting Kovalev now isn’t the same as Ward fighting Kovalev at the top of his game. That’s just a ridiculous argument
    Yeah it's ridiculous. It's also ridiculous that a bonafide all-time great can name Kovalev his best win whilst people are calling Canelo a "cherry picker" for the same man.

Is Kovalev past his best? Yes. Is he still an active winning champion? Yes. Top 3 at 175? Yes. Does he have a significant natural size, height and reach advantage? Yes. Is he still a quality boxer? Yes. Does he still possess big power? Yes.

So how can that man possibly be regarded a "gimme" unless the guy he's facing is special? Special like Ward? If Kovalev is such a "gimme" what does that make Elider Alvarez? Pascal? Even unbeaten prospects like Yarde?

The point is - fans who can't separate their personal feelings for a fighter - love or hate - don't make sense. Without realising it they're saying Canelo is special. Fact.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah it's ridiculous. It's also ridiculous that a bonafide all-time great can name Kovalev his best win whilst people are calling Canelo a "cherry picker" for the same man.

Is Kovalev past his best? Yes. Is he still an active winning champion? Yes. Top 3 at 175? Yes. Does he have a significant natural size, height and reach advantage? Yes. Is he still a quality boxer? Yes. Does he still possess big power? Yes.

So how can that man possibly be regarded a "gimme" unless the guy he's facing is special? Special like Ward? If Kovalev is such a "gimme" what does that make Elider Alvarez? Pascal? Even unbeaten prospects like Yarde?

The point is - fans who can't separate their personal feelings for a fighter - love or hate - don't make sense. Without realising it they're saying Canelo is special. Fact.
    It’s the fact that styles make fights. It’s not to say beating Kovalev isn’t impressive, but beating Kovalev may be easier for Canelo than to beat Andrade. That’s why I like fighters to stay in their weight class and clean it out. Much more impressive

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kov was bummed out of both ward fights tho so you can't really count them on wards record
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

An honest post, congratulations. And, it hurts me to say, I agree

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People only started saying Kov was past it after the Ward fight.

Let’s not forget that an injured 168 fighter in Ward entered the 175 division not looking at Stevenson..he went up to beat the best in the division.

Sergey was the man in the division and it took a fighter in Ward to break him.

Saying that, I do need someone to break it down to me how they gave Ward the nod on the first fight..a draw at least..jeez.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Ward is overrated as an undefeated champ then is that the same for Calzaghe?

People pick and choose who they like and can’t seem to give praise to other undefeated fighters.

(Your comment was probably tongue in cheek)

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s the fact that styles make fights. It’s not to say beating Kovalev isn’t impressive, but beating Kovalev may be easier for Canelo than to beat Andrade. That’s why I like fighters to stay in their weight class and clean it out. Much more impressive
    Who we'd prefer Canelo to fight is an entirely different argument. Personally I'd rather Canelo fight Saunders, Andrade or Charlo.

It's more impressive to clean out a weight class? Like Loma is attempting? Why do you want him to move down in weight?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

If Ward is overrated as an undefeated champ then is that the same for Calzaghe?

People pick and choose who they like and can’t seem to give praise to other undefeated fighters.

(Your comment was probably tongue in cheek)
    Yeah just "probably."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who we'd prefer Canelo to fight is an entirely different argument. Personally I'd rather Canelo fight Saunders, Andrade or Charlo.

It's more impressive to clean out a weight class? Like Loma is attempting? Why do you want him to move down in weight?
    Because he skipped better weights to clean out a weaker weight. Featherweight is stacked right now. I would be much more impressed if he cleaned out featherweight than lightweight. I think that Berchelt and Davis are better than anyone that lightweight has to offer too (unless Mikey can get back down there). If he just couldn’t make those weights then that’s fine, but he claims he can easily make feather.

Same with a Canelo. If Canelo couldn’t make middleweight anymore, then I’m fine with him moving up. I just don’t fall for the “higher weight class means a better win” idea anymore. It’s much easier to pick winnable fights if you jump weights and call it trying to fight the best. Pacquiao made a living out of it once he became a superstar.

I’ve watched boxing too long to fall for the same thing over and over

Thread Information