Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Khan-Malignaggi in the works

The junior welterweight division is hot. It's loaded with a variety of interesting, exciting and marketable fighters and matchups. At the top there's titleholder Timothy Bradley, who looked awesome defending his title last week in dismantling Lamont Peterson, another quality young contender who should be back in the hunt before too long.
    There's also young American titleholder Devon Alexander, who has skills, speed, a bright smile and a brighter future. From England, you have fast and powerful titleholder Amir Khan, a tremendous talent who has looked very good in recent fights, including a 76-second destruction of Dmitriy Salita in his first defense on Dec. 5. Khan is the linchpin of the division because he brings the most money, by far, because of his big following in England.
    There is also slick former titleholder Paulie Malignaggi, who is already back in the gym doing some light training after a decisive decision win against Juan Diaz in their Dec. 12 rematch.
    Add in titleholder Juan Urango, big puncher Marcos Maidana, former titlist Kendall Holt, prospect Victor Ortiz and the old guard of Ricky Hatton (the former champ with perhaps a big fight or two left), Nate Campbell and lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez, who likely will fight at junior welterweight against Hatton in the spring, and you have a stacked division that should produce several good fights over the next couple of years.
    One of the biggest fights at 140 pounds (or, in defense to Khan, 10 stone), would be Khan against Malignaggi next year at New York's Madison Square Garden. Khan has said repeatedly that he intends to fight in the United States in 2010 and Malignaggi promoter Lou DiBella hopes to make the match.
    "We want that fight. Paulie wants a big fight," DiBella told me this week. "It would be an unbelievable event for Kahn's American debut. It's perfectly conceived of because of the personalities, styles and geography. Khan wants to fight here. Paulie is a New Yorker and is as hot as he's been. I have no doubt the fight does 15,000 people at the Garden. They both can fight and they both can talk and promote."
    DiBella said the fight has come up in his conversations with HBO, which hopes to put Khan on for the second time on March 6 from England as part of a split-site doubleheader with Alexander defending his belt from a venue in the U.S.
    "It is not lost on HBO how big Khan coming to America and fighting Paulie in New York would be," DiBella said.
    He should know about such matters. After all, it was DiBella, when he used to run HBO's boxing franchise, who engineered a similar scenario in 1997. That's when he signed England's Naseem Hamed to an HBO contract and brought him to Madison Square Garden to defend his featherweight title against New Yorker Kevin Kelley, who talks almost as much and as fast as Malignaggi. Hamed-Kelley was a great promotion and turned out to be one of the best fights of the 1990s. Hamed won via fourth-round knockout and launched himself to stardom in the United States.
    "A Khan fight with Paulie is the same type of situation. You have a young British star coming here to challenge the more established American and to see if he can create star power in this country in one night," DiBella said. "After a fight between Khan and Paulie, one of those guys comes out of the fight a huge star. It's a terrific matchup. There will be the threat of Khan's power and of Paulie's speed, which I think a bit exceeds Khan's. Freddie Roach [Khan trainer] says Khan will fight him but he knows it ain't an easy fight.
    "I love the Khan fight for Paulie. It reminds me so much of the set up with Hamed and Kelley, but Paulie is fresher than Kelley was. It has the making of a really big event if we can put it together."
    I couldn't agree more. And the best part? It's only one possibility in a hot division that boasts so many exciting possible fights.
    Khan-Malignaggi has nice ring to it in loaded 140 division - ESPN

A lot of people on this site including myself were saying that Khan's next fight which would be his American debut would be against someone that's decent but a feather fisted puncher. Lo and behold his next possible opponent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Khan-Malignaggi in the works

Can't wait.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it's interesting to see if majority of uk boxing fans will root for amir khan or instead root for paulie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still believe Khan should fight Katsidis!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fukk that. Con needs to fight Maidana. Who is the interim title holder to his belt. Malignaggi might be a bigger name but he can't fukking punch. And non-punchers is all Con has been facing since he was almost decapitated by Prescott. How can he be new and improved if he's still being protected?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Fukk that. Con needs to fight Maidana. Who is the interim title holder to his belt. Malignaggi might be a bigger name but he can't fukking punch. And non-punchers is all Con has been facing since he was almost decapitated by Prescott. How can he be new and improved if he's still being protected?
    I think they want to go progressively. First, a big name to foster his name in the US and to see how he reacts against a quick and skilled boxers to give him more experience. Then they will probably go against an higher banger to test his limits a bit further. Actually, I think that this Paulie fight, if it happens, is a quite damn smart move from their side.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know about you guys, but I think Khan will handle Malignaggi. Khan by wide UD.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Malignaggi stops him in 7.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yikes, stylistic nightmare, two guys who do there best work moving, who will take the lead? Probably Khan. He probably wins but it will be a mess.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should be a good fight, sensible choice for the Khan camp, Paulie is coming off two very good showings against Juan Diaz.

I don't know why he gets no respect because Paulie can't punch, I mean can still box a bit after all.

All fighters struggle with certain styles, are we going to criticise Froch's choice of opponents in future every time he fights someone who isn't quick, elusive and slippery?

If Khan can outbox Malignaggi then he's proven himself capable of challenging for serious honours at 140 lbs.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In all seriousness, I agree with Bilbo. It is a decent matchup and would be a proper step up for Khan. I don't think Khan beat Barrera (for reasons I have reiterated far too many times), so this will be Khans first opportunity to try and beat a name opponent for me. Malignaggi doesn't have much pop, but he's good enough to win rounds against most fighters. I would give him a good chance of winning.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i would pick malignaggi to ko khan he might not be a big puncher but willy limond wasnt a big puncher and he almost kod khan

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    In all seriousness, I agree with Bilbo. It is a decent matchup and would be a proper step up for Khan. I don't think Khan beat Barrera (for reasons I have reiterated far too many times), so this will be Khans first opportunity to try and beat a name opponent for me. Malignaggi doesn't have much pop, but he's good enough to win rounds against most fighters. I would give him a good chance of winning.

Why when agreeing with me does everyone feel the need to add the preface that they are actually not joking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be funny if Paulie ko'ed Khan

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As I stated before, I think that Paulie's a good test for Khan, perhaps not on the knocking power but for the all around boxing abilities. If he can pull out this one, he will have shown to everybody that his boxing skills aren,t a fluke at all and are to be taken very seriously. It will also give him an excellent window through the US. Pretty good match up and that will answer a few questions though some more remain to be unfold.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Thread Information