Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joshua v Ruiz

Deontay Wilder manager Shelly Finkel RULES OUT Anthony Joshua fight next and says they will revisit AJ in 2020

It’s not good news for fans hoping to see the undisputed title bout

Deontay Wilder’s co-manager Shelly Finkel has stated that his man will not be fighting Anthony Joshua next.

The veteran fight-maker guides the WBC champion’s career and insists they now have their own path that will see them only revisit a potential AJ bout in 2020.

After failed negotiations caused an acrimonious fall-out last year, Wilder and his team were left with a very bitter taste in their mouths towards Joshua’s camp, and this feeling has still not subsided.

Finkel explained to ThaBoxingVoice: “There is a history to the fight with Joshua and until recently they did not want the fight obviously.

“We were willing to fight them for $15million flat and fight them in the UK, but they gave every story and didn’t fight us.

“The night I had to tell Deontay they were fighting Povetkin instead, he was so emotional I felt terrible having to break that news to him.

“Before, there were no options for Deontay and the best route was to fight Joshua.

“When we realised that couldn’t happen, we ended up fighting Tyson Fury and that was one of the fights of the year in 2018.

“We’re fighting our mandatory now and we have a pretty full plate for this year and we will discuss fighting Joshua next year.”

When asked if the Joshua vs Wilder fight wasn’t happening because a Wilder vs Tyson Fury rematch was on the cards, he added: “We’re not fighting Joshua next, but it’s not for reasons that the Fury fight can be locked in soon.”

On May 18, Wilder will defend his belt against mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale.

It was hoped that after this defence talks could restart with AJ’s representatives, however the Brit’s promoter Eddie Hearn last week revealed that he’d heard rumours the American was instead lining up other bouts with Luis Ortiz and Adam Kownacki.

Upon being quizzed about these potential bouts: Finkel replied: “They are all in the works, there is nothing confirmed at this point.

“The only thing that is locked in is the fight with Breazeale on May 18.

“If everything goes the way we hope it will, we will then discuss his next fight and lock that in.”

In the early stages of 2019, Wilder’s team entered discussions with John Skipper of DAZN (Joshua’s US broadcaster).

They ultimately rejected a $100million+ multi-fight deal to join the platform, but Finkel is optimistic this bridge will continue to be built upon and prove when they do come to make the undisputed title bout.

“Yes, I have spoken with John Skipper more than once. Actually, him and I are developing a very good relationship. I’m very fond of him.

“They will continue and eventually it will lead to a fight of Deontay and Joshua.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/5...ua-fight-next/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Making the fight happen next would generate the same as making it happen next year. The only way it would change if one of their performances doesn't live up to par. Reminds me of when Lennox Lewis fight fail through with...I 4got...
    but he opted the replacement for Klitschko, that's what a champ does. I'm done justifying for Wilder. A part of me, wants to see AJ whoop him, drop him, then stop him.

With that being said AJ UD Ruiz.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Making the fight happen next would generate the same as making it happen next year. The only way it would change if one of their performances doesn't live up to par. Reminds me of when Lennox Lewis fight fail through with...I 4got...
    but he opted the replacement for Klitschko, that's what a champ does. I'm done justifying for Wilder. A part of me, wants to see AJ whoop him, drop him, then stop him.

Was it a rematch against Tyson that Lennox was supposed to have?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Half of Wilders fights havent been up to par, he just manages to land some hail mary eventually and it gets forgotten. I dont think he wants AJ either, thats why he took a safe contract where he can at least make money taking the easy route.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Was it a rematch against Tyson that Lennox was supposed to have?
    Klitshcko was to fight Lewis at end of the year, Tyson would have a rematch..but he said no, so Kirk Johnson took Tyson's spot. Then he punked out & claimed he had an injury, so Klitshcko who was on the undercard, said he would sub in...rather than fight at the end of the year, Lewis said cool, they can get it on.

IMO Lewis didn't train hard for Johnson, because he saw it as a pushover fight, which would be used to get him in shape for Vitali. But he took that fight on short notice and brawled his way through!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz is a good last minute replacement, but I expect AJ to win pretty easily. Ruiz won’t be able to outbox AJ and doesn’t have the power to make him uncomfortable. Not super excited for the fight but I’m semi interested

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really believe that after this fight AJ will fight Tyson fury. He doesn't need Wilder yet. Plus Wilder hasn't earned a shot Fury has. In fact to me Fury is still the HW champ.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

Half of Wilders fights havent been up to par, he just manages to land some hail mary eventually and it gets forgotten. I dont think he wants AJ either, thats why he took a safe contract where he can at least make money taking the easy route.
    I like Wilder, but it is true. He loses a lot of rounds in fights that go a long way and it almost came unstuck against Fury who to be fair doesn't seem to fancy another go.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will be having a flutter on Ruiz if he is long odds.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this fight goes 12.A good and action filled 12 with lots of thrills.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    What is a flutter? And unless it is coated in bbq sauce I'm not sure Ruiz will want to partake .

Honestly, there are worse fights and I'm guessing the alphabet boys are all in on titles being on the line?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the only way ruiz would win this is if Joshua falls asleep. Ruiz is a fair bit shorter and not especially powerful and he doesn't really seem bothered to fight every round. Joshua will just decide to walk through at some point and that will be that...

Fair enough opponent though for a debut in America and the other plum failing the drug test.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    What is a flutter? And unless it is coated in bbq sauce I'm not sure Ruiz will want to partake .

Honestly, there are worse fights and I'm guessing the alphabet boys are all in on titles being on the line?
    A flutter is a bet my friend.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

John Ruiz has a better chance

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joshua wins the majority of rounds and stops Ruiz late in the fight

Thread Information