Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pick a champion who won titles at multiple weights...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pick a champion who won titles at multiple weights...

... and what you believe his best weight was. For instance:

Manny Pacquiao - I think that dude was a beast at super featherweight. He's still very, very, very good at the other weights, mind you - as evidenced by his belts and his destructions of those champions in those divisions... but at super featherweight he was a monster.

Sugar Shane Mosley - lightweight - dude was considered to be unbeatable at the time at that weight and some had him the #1 pound for pound fighter.

Pernell Whitaker - lightweight - you would be hard pressed to find a fighter who didn't have a lot of power who lost LESS rounds during a title reign than Sweet Pea did during his lightweight tenure. The guy was untouchable when he was in his zone.

What do you guys think? What about Floyd Mayweather? Oscar De La Hoya? Roy Jones, Jr.? Sugar Ray Leonard? Tommy Hearns?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pick a champion who won titles at multiple weights...

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    What about Floyd Mayweather? Oscar De La Hoya? Roy Jones, Jr.? Sugar Ray Leonard? Tommy Hearns?
    Lil Floyd: 130

De La Hoya: 140

Jones Jr: 168

Leonard: 147

Motor City Cobra: 154
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Pacquiao - I think that dude was a beast at super featherweight. He's still very, very, very good at the other weights, mind you - as evidenced by his belts and his destructions of those champions in those divisions... but at super featherweight he was a monster.

Sugar Shane Mosley - lightweight - dude was considered to be unbeatable at the time at that weight and some had him the #1 pound for pound fighter.

Pernell Whitaker - lightweight - you would be hard pressed to find a fighter who didn't have a lot of power who lost LESS rounds during a title reign than Sweet Pea did during his lightweight tenure. The guy was untouchable when he was in his zone.

What do you guys think? What about Floyd Mayweather? Oscar De La Hoya? Roy Jones, Jr.? Sugar Ray Leonard? Tommy Hearns?
    Gotta go 147 for Floyd. He had more flash when he was lighter and threw more but he's a much better fighter all around at 147 even though he's been the smaller guy pretty much every time out.

135 or 140 for Oscar.

Roy for sure at 168. Real shame he did not stay longer. Cant think of anyone who would beat him save Ezzard Charles.

Leonard 147

Hearns 147 but @Britkid could certainly make the case for 154

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trinidad at 154 looked dynamic.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Sometimes actions speak louder than words:

Of course it would be a bit of a 'cheap shot' if @IamInuit came back with the Hearns/Cuevas KO, to make his point!
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post

Sometimes actions speak louder than words:

Of course it would be a bit of a 'cheap shot' if @IamInuit came back with the Hearns/Cuevas KO, to make his point!
    Well played sir. Well played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotta go 147 for Floyd. He had more flash when he was lighter and threw more but he's a much better fighter all around at 147 even though he's been the smaller guy pretty much every time out.

135 or 140 for Oscar.

Roy for sure at 168. Real shame he did not stay longer. Cant think of anyone who would beat him save Ezzard Charles.

Leonard 147

I am a bit surprised by 2 of these. I thought you would go with a blazing fast Mayweather at 130. Also thought you would go with the 147 version of Oscar who beat Trinidad, no matter what people say. I can see the lighter weight for Oscar, though - he was ruthless early on and took on some good names.

I really agree with you that Roy looked spectacular at 168 and he really didn't weigh or need to weight 175 when he began campaigning at light heavyweight - there were some good fights to be made at 168, to include a rematch with Hopkins at the time (I don't think that any of us knew at the time what Hopkins would become), quite a few people across the pond, and a few bangers stateside. I heard that there were talks of a Calzaghe/RJJ fight before Joe Cal really got respect in America (before Lacy), and the fight didn't happen - in retrospect, that would have been interesting.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Rice View Post
    Trinidad at 154 looked dynamic.
    Definitely. 154 was Tito's best weight. Dude was a killer

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

135 or 140 for Oscar.

Leonard 147

I am a bit surprised by 2 of these. I thought you would go with a blazing fast Mayweather at 130. Also thought you would go with the 147 version of Oscar who beat Trinidad, no matter what people say. I can see the lighter weight for Oscar, though - he was ruthless early on and took on some good names.

I really agree with you that Roy looked spectacular at 168 and he really didn't weigh or need to weight 175 when he began campaigning at light heavyweight - there were some good fights to be made at 168, to include a rematch with Hopkins at the time (I don't think that any of us knew at the time what Hopkins would become), quite a few people across the pond, and a few bangers stateside. I heard that there were talks of a Calzaghe/RJJ fight before Joe Cal really got respect in America (before Lacy), and the fight didn't happen - in retrospect, that would have been interesting.
    I like this version of Floyd better. Not the person lol, the boxer. He's just more complete. The idea of hitting and not getting hit is very impressive when one gets to see it. I've always enjoyed a good dissection just as much as I like a Chacon/Limon type battle.

I think the 135/140 Oscar was just much more dominant then the welter version and its unfortunate that weight kind of forced his hand.

Roy was already well entrenched at 175 when Joe was just getting going at 168 so I think the calender made that hard to pull off. Like you said though I'm not to sure that weight would have been the issue but Roy at the time was almost bigger then the sport. I think Roy would had problems with Joes hand speed and his boxing savvy from the left hand side. Roy gets to him though and stops him.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JMM has gone up the weights and beaten the best fighters, he should get a mention.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would choose Mayweather Jr if he is a humble person / boxer, but since he isn't, I'd go for Pacquaio.. 8 division is not easy that any boxer can have.. he reached that status at his very young age. . . could you imagine that??

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

James Toney is yet to find his best weight
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Thread Information